PDA

View Full Version : Longer, Lower Wider Ford Jailbar Touring Project

charliebob
11-26-2020, 05:01 AM
Intro to my build project:

This thread represents my efforts to build a longer, lower & wider Jailbar with custom frame and modern suspension and power train. Old folks like me will remember the advertising jingle for longer, lower, wider cars! This is a longer, lower, wider truck that will be comfortable for my 6’ 3”

Several years ago I bought a 47 that had serious cancer in all the wrong places—body seams—but had very good doors and sections that could be used for patch panels. Sold off everything except the cab and front clip. I recently found a fire truck cab and front clip that was in excellent shape … except for a few bullet holes!

The 40-47 Ford trucks are known throughout the world as Jailbars because of the grille. Both of my cabs have bullet holes, so there may be a double meaning to Jailbar! The 47 had bullet holes in the passenger door, while the 42 firetruck had a large caliber (50 cal?) hole from the inside out (accidental discharge?), as well as smaller caliber bullet holes at the top of the passenger A-pillar and back driver's side corner that were covered by bondo. If only the trucks could talk!

I’m trying to keep the build simple, with readily available parts. Plan is to make a mild touring truck. Engine choice not finalized.

I have widened the cab 5” at the front and about 6 ¾” at the rear (more at the rear to maintain the wedge shape and outside curvature of the doors) , and stretched the cab and doors 6 ½”.

Widening will give it something of a chopped look, without being chopped and losing headroom that I need.

Widening also allows for use of a Crown Vic IFS without having to narrow the cross member to fit wheels inside the fenders. Custom frame nearing completion.

Here are pics of the cab. I will finish dinging on the sheetmetal after I get it mounted on the frame.

Last pic is of the widened grille with nose pulled out some, with a little help from photoshop.

JayinMI
11-26-2020, 08:56 AM
This pretty cool. Reminds me of #GoJeep 's project. (I can't remember if he's on here, but I think so.) He's building an old Jeep pickup, but it's been modified to fit on a Grand Cherokee drivetrain.

Jay

charliebob
11-26-2020, 09:12 AM
This pretty cool. Reminds me of #GoJeep 's project. (I can't remember if he's on here, but I think so.) He's building an old Jeep pickup, but it's been modified to fit on a Grand Cherokee drivetrain.

Jay

I have followed Gojeep's build on Ozrodders. He has an incredible build that is getting close to paint. His skill and patience far exceed mine!

thumper877
11-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Thats a really cool build. Has a wide look from the front for sure. Awesome job so far

wfo guy
11-26-2020, 06:27 PM
What are you using for drivetrain?

andrewb70
11-26-2020, 07:00 PM
Very cool! How do you handle the windshield? Is there a company that will make a custom safety glass windshield?

Andrew

charliebob
11-27-2020, 02:44 AM
Thats a really cool build. Has a wide look from the front for sure. Awesome job so far

Thanks, Thumper. When finished, I hope it doesn't look too wide!

charliebob
11-27-2020, 02:55 AM
What are you using for drivetrain?

Well ... a Toyota V8, specifically a 3UZ.

I don't have any brand loyalty! My only loyalty is the old hot rodding view of building with whatever part is good and inexpensive. Initially, I wanted to keep it all Ford, but the Coyote engine is the only one I am interested in, and they are too expensive for my bottom feeding habits. Also, the GM and Ford auto boxes are big and take up a lot of foot room (size 12) in a narrow cab.

charliebob
11-27-2020, 03:01 AM
Very cool! How do you handle the windshield? Is there a company that will make a custom safety glass windshield?

Andrew, the windshield is 2 pieces of flat glass separated by a vertical bar. Flat glass can be cut by many auto glass shops, and the windshield rubber can be purchased by the foot.

Thanks for the compliment.

Bob

andrewb70
11-27-2020, 06:30 AM
Andrew, the windshield is 2 pieces of flat glass separated by a vertical bar. Flat glass can be cut by many auto glass shops, and the windshield rubber can be purchased by the foot.

Thanks for the compliment.

Bob

Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew

charliebob
12-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Progress was paused on sheetmetal bashing so that I could build a frame. To keep things simple with readily available parts, I used a Crown Vic front suspension and a 9" Ford rear with triangulated 4-link. I'm using coil overs on the rear, with overload air bags (not in pic) in case I want to haul heavy loads.

Front and rear frame stubs will be added later. The driveshaft hoop looks clunky, but made strong because this is where frame twisting forces are centered. An additional hoop will be added toward the front of the driveshaft.

Now I can mount the cab and get back to sheetmetal work.

Motown 454
12-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Nice project, subscribed!

charliebob
12-22-2020, 05:03 AM
Nice project, subscribed!

Thanks, Wayne. Very impressive Camaro project you have. I recently completed a 69 El Camino, but it is mundane compared to your Camaro.

dhutton
12-22-2020, 05:27 AM
Nice work. Chassis is very impressive.

Don

MSTSFabbed
12-22-2020, 05:51 AM

Jay

That was my first thought as well! I’ve been following that build on All Metal Shaping.

Kudos!

charliebob
12-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Nice work. Chassis is very impressive.

Don

Thanks, Don. I enjoy building frames and suspensions much more that bashing sheetmetal!

Vimes
12-22-2020, 07:13 PM
I recently completed a 69 El Camino,

You bring that up but don't put in a link?

charliebob
12-23-2020, 03:54 AM
You bring that up but don't put in a link?

Sorry, but I don't have a build thread. It's pretty basic. A stock 5.3 LS, C5 spindles and brakes. Rear Discs. Frame off, but stock except for suspension and powertrain.

charliebob
12-23-2020, 05:02 AM
Modified the dash somewhat by dropping the lower bead about 2" and making a transition to a console. Extending the dash down will allow it to hide a planned A/C unit and other stuff. I plan to have a bolt-in insert for the dash itself, which will allow me to make future changes in instrumentation as well as avoid having to try to get my old head under the dash for repairs and mods.

Instruments will likely be a permanently mounted tablet connected to OBD2. I'm trying to preserve the basic design of the truck and dash, but modernize it somewhat.

Vimes
12-23-2020, 02:50 PM
Sorry, but I don't have a build thread. It's pretty basic. A stock 5.3 LS, C5 spindles and brakes. Rear Discs. Frame off, but stock except for suspension and powertrain.

That's a beautiful car.

Instruments will likely be a permanently mounted tablet connected to OBD2. I'm trying to preserve the basic design of the truck and dash, but modernize it somewhat.

On the instruments, Lingenfelter makes an adapter (https://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&priceranges=1&searchcatcount=1&srch_all=1&onlyone=1&Search=can2-002) at 289 bucks a pop that lets you use regular instruments with a GM CAN system. Thought I'd toss it out as an option for you in case the tablet idea doesn't work out. They're kind of pricey and requires one for every 4 instruments you want to use, but it should let you put an instrument for any of the 200+ parameters the computer sees provided you can get an instrument to display it. It'll also control relays for certain functions, like backup lights which seems to be an issue when using the 6/8/10 speed transmissions on older cars.

charliebob
12-24-2020, 04:28 AM
Lingenfelter makes an adapter (https://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&priceranges=1&searchcatcount=1&srch_all=1&onlyone=1&Search=can2-002) at 289 bucks a pop that lets you use regular instruments with a GM CAN system.

Thanks for the compliment and for the Ligenfelter adapter suggestion. I will take a look at the adapter.

wfo guy
12-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Just in case you'd like to know, the crown vic coilovers take 5" diameter springs. That's the same size as mustang 2 stuff so there is a broad spectrum of spring rates available if you wish to retain the oem shock.

charliebob
12-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Just in case you'd like to know, the crown vic coilovers take 5" diameter springs. That's the same size as mustang 2 stuff so there is a broad spectrum of spring rates available if you wish to retain the oem shock.

I was unaware that the mustang 2 springs were the same size. Good to know. Thanks.

charliebob
12-31-2020, 01:38 PM
One nice thing about working on a truck cab is that a rotisserie is not needed. One person can flip them on the side or back. Spot welding on the underside is almost finished.

blade
01-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Nice metal work, nice job on the frame also!

charliebob
01-06-2021, 05:32 PM
Nice metal work, nice job on the frame also!

Thanks, Eddie. Lots of work left to do, particularly refining the sheet metal work (including patches of bullet holes!)

Bob

charliebob
01-16-2021, 05:22 AM
Finished the frame for a removable dash panel.

Peanut1959
01-16-2021, 06:34 PM
Wise move! And if you hadn't already considered it, you could add a quick disconnect to the wiring so you can easily remove the dash for servicing.

charliebob
01-17-2021, 03:51 AM
you could add a quick disconnect to the wiring so you can easily remove the dash for servicing.

That is the plan, Peanut. A plan to eliminate or at least reduce the physical contortions typically necessary to work on stuff behind a dash!

Also, I plan to use a permanently mounted table for a dashboard (OBD2), so as technology changes I can pop the dash to mount a different tablet or whatever.

Peanut1959
01-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Excellent.

I'm a Studebaker guy, and I'm jealous of the R-series Stude truck guys who can easily access the back of their gauge panel through the top of the firewall in the engine compartment!

charliebob
01-23-2021, 04:28 AM
Excellent.

I'm a Studebaker guy, and I'm jealous of the R-series Stude truck guys who can easily access the back of their gauge panel through the top of the firewall in the engine compartment!

Peanut, I almost bought a R-series Stude with excellent sheetmetal and bad engine. In 1967. For $50. Still regret not buying it! Love the R-series and the '37 Express Coupe pickup.

Peanut1959
01-23-2021, 07:51 PM
[emoji106]

charliebob
01-30-2021, 05:21 AM
Getting some motivational power for the old truck! 3UZ.

Peanut1959
01-30-2021, 02:11 PM
Looking good!

Motown 454
01-30-2021, 06:51 PM
That's got to feel good.

charliebob
02-13-2021, 01:27 PM
Finished most of the exhaust system while I could work on it from above and not laying on my back.

Nice to hear it run, but a long way from being drivable.

Fuel and brake lines next, then back to body work.

charliebob
03-27-2021, 02:36 AM
Progress has been slow for a variety of reasons, but I have adapted a Lincoln/Taurus 2-speed radiator fan and shroud to the radiator. These fans flow a lot of air, even on low, and are relatively inexpensive in salvage yards.

Vimes
03-27-2021, 01:20 PM
Progress has been slow for a variety of reasons, but I have adapted a Lincoln/Taurus 2-speed radiator fan and shroud to the radiator. These fans flow a lot of air, even on low, and are relatively inexpensive in salvage yards.

Nice, but one point on those fans - they need a special controller that can flip between low and high speed. Otherwise they'll burn out quickly. Plenty of them for sale out there though, and the pricing isn't bad.

charliebob
03-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Nice, but one point on those fans - they need a special controller that can flip between low and high speed. Otherwise they'll burn out quickly. Plenty of them for sale out there though, and the pricing isn't bad.

Thanks Vimes. This is the third one I have done. Being a bottom feeder (pull-a-part), I use a 2-speed fan relay from a Volvo and a 2 level temp switch from either a BMW or Old Mercedes, all connected to a 75 amp continuous duty relay. So far, no problems going back over 5 years.

I also use this wiring combo with a dual fan from a 2002 Windstar in an El Camino with LS engine.

Some, maybe all, the Lincoln MK8s have variable speed fans, which do require a special controller. Variable and 2-speed fan motors look exactly the same and have the same 3-wire plug. Actually, the one shown is from a V8 T'Bird. You have to check the motor # to find out whether it is 2-speed or variable.

Let me know if you would like part numbers for the Volvo relay, temp switches, or fans.

Thanks for the warning about controllers.

Vimes
03-27-2021, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't for myself, but it would be beneficial to others that want to follow. The last few efan conversions I've done have been in GM trucks using factory fans, and I used the ECM to control them. So far I've done two GMT800 trucks using a 2006-07 fan assembly, and one 1st gen Colorado using half a GMT800 fan assembly, but man is that one ugly.

charliebob
03-28-2021, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't for myself, but it would be beneficial to others that want to followHere you go. Pic of Volvo relay, BMW temp switch, and part #s.

The relay is on many Volvo models.

The BMW switch is mounted on the passenger side of the radiator in 1990s (?) models.

Alternatively, if you have an ECU that will trigger 2 fans (for different temps), none of this is needed, as one can use two Bosch relays that have sufficient capacity to handle the fan draw.

Ford 2-speed 18" fan # F4SH-8K621-AA (and other #s)

Volvo 2-speed fan relay, many models, part# 1398845

BMW switches are available for different temp settings. Here are 2

BMW 61311378078 190o/210o

BMW 61318361787 176o/190o

Connector cover part # BMW 61 13 1 378 410186383

Motown 454
03-28-2021, 06:52 PM
That's some great information. Thanks! I might try this on my 99 Tahoe.

charliebob
03-29-2021, 04:18 AM
That's some great information. Thanks! I might try this on my 99 Tahoe.

Check out some of the Windstar dual fans, as the shroud may come very close to fitting the Tahoe radiator. I have one in a 69 El Camino triggered by a 99 Silverado ECM. Lots of info on Windstar fans over on LS1TECH.

charliebob
04-24-2021, 04:40 AM
Finished the radiator mount and a fan shroud. I used the Volvo two speed fan (rather than Lincoln or Taurus 3.8) because it is slightly smaller (16") and thus fit the rad better, and because it unbolts from the shroud.

Vimes
04-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Fan setup looks nice, but I'll suggest that you seal the edge between the shroud and the radiator with rubber, or at least close the gap some. Air will take the path of least resistance, so the fan will pull quite a bit of air past the opening between the shroud and radiator instead of through the radiator fins. Sealing it will ensure the fan can only pull air through the fins. The opening looks large enough to get enough air through at highway speeds.

charliebob
04-24-2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Vimes. I plan to seal it--a universal 5/8" radiator seal is available that fits the gaps.

charliebob
09-06-2021, 03:59 AM
Progress has been slow, due in part to my laziness and getting sidetracked with another project.

The cheap radiator leaked, so I switched to a Griffin radiator with a Taurus/Lincoln/T'Bird 2 speed fan and shroud. Unfortunately I do not have a good pic of the combo.

I've raised the front fenders 2", widened the hood by 5" and sectioned the hood 3" in front and 2" in back, and pulled out the nose of the grille by 1.5". The slicing and dicing has sure changed the looks of the Jailbar!

Lots more metal bashing to do.

Motown 454
09-07-2021, 12:43 PM
You've done a lot of great work on this, it looks great. Just yesterday I was going through my saved threads and saw yours. I was wondering how you were doing on it, glad to see some progress.

charliebob
09-08-2021, 03:45 AM
You've done a lot of great work on this, it looks great. Just yesterday I was going through my saved threads and saw yours. I was wondering how you were doing on it, glad to see some progress.

Thanks, Wayne. I've been following your Exceptional build.

Wish my project had skilled welds like those on your exhaust system.

Motown 454
09-08-2021, 06:39 AM
I wish I could weld, I’m just footing the bill. Lol

charliebob
09-08-2021, 06:43 AM
I wish I could weld, I’m just footing the bill. Lol

From ages 15-21 (6 decades ago) i worked in a one man, one boy machine and welding shop. I could weld back then. Now I'm too shakey and my 480lb Miller tig welder is down. Back to MIG (and some of it is not pretty)!

ProTouringMan
09-13-2021, 07:59 PM
Very impressive! Is the chassis custom?

charliebob
09-14-2021, 03:28 AM
Very impressive! Is the chassis custom?

Yes, here is a pic of the almost finished frame. Crown Vic front suspension, triangulated 4-link with coilovers and air bag overloads out back.

Thanks.

charliebob
10-04-2021, 04:41 AM
Slow progress ... but better than no progress!

Skim coat of random red paint to get a better idea of how the front clip will look. Have not decided about a grille design.

Motown 454
10-04-2021, 10:34 AM
It looks good, those seats should be comfortable.

charliebob
10-04-2021, 12:34 PM
It looks good, those seats should be comfortable.

Thanks, Wayne. In my old age, comfortable seats are a priority!

Wish my shop was as clean as yours.

Motown 454
10-04-2021, 04:00 PM
That's because you haven't seen it lately. lol

GrayRaceCat
10-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Is that a Volvo 850 series manual seat?
Thanks, GRC

charliebob
10-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Is that a Volvo 850 series manual seat?
Thanks, GRC

It’s a 2005 Accord power seat.

Vimes
10-06-2021, 09:51 PM
Question on the cage - is that a legal cage for racing or something you're doing for yourself? Wondering since you have the bars conforming to the seat, not cutting halfway across the door, which I like. If it's legal, what racing authority is it?

charliebob
10-07-2021, 03:34 AM
It is not intended for racing, but just to give some added strength and safety to old sheetmetal that has been sliced both ways and welded. I also put some side impact bars inside the doors.

Thanks, Vimes, for expressing concern.

charliebob
10-07-2021, 03:40 AM
A few years ago at pull-a-part I came across an aluminum bumper from an Audi. Someone had removed the bumper cover, etc, and the bumper was just laying on the ground begging for a project. I snatched it up, and have now adapted it to the jailbar. It will be behind the grille, but should provide some safety and protection.

Vimes
10-07-2021, 12:00 PM
It is not intended for racing, but just to give some added strength and safety to old sheetmetal that has been sliced both ways and welded. I also put some side impact bars inside the doors.

Thanks, Vimes, for expressing concern.

Heh heh, actually was saying I like it, because it didn't require crawling into a mass of tubing to get in. Asking about legality was just me being curious if something like that was meeting any organization's racing regs. That bumper looks good on there too.

ProTouringMan
10-12-2021, 08:24 PM
Very unique build. Can you tell us more about the 3UZ engine choice? Is the crown vic front suspension used for it's compactness, lightness, both, or something else?

charliebob
10-13-2021, 03:37 AM
Very unique build. Can you tell us more about the 3UZ engine choice? Is the crown vic front suspension used for it's compactness, lightness, both, or something else?

My 3UZ is a JDM, but in the US they come in Lexus LS430 and GS430. Mine is a 6 speed, with paddle shifter.

Obviously I don't have any brand loyalty--my loyalty is for good parts that are cheap--but the Jailbar keeps begging for a Coyote engine. About 5,000 reasons have kept me from keeping it Ford. Dollars that is!

Putting a Toyota engine in an old Ford is blasphemy to many; to me it is a just a super reliable, light, all aluminum engine with 300+ hp. And Toyota V8 engines are now made right here in Alabama!

The 03-10 Crown Vic front suspension is very popular for swaps into F100s. Compact, light, good geometry, independent, rack & pinion steering, and fairly big disc brakes all in one neat package. It is too wide for the older trucks, but fits my widened jailbar.

charliebob
10-23-2021, 06:06 AM
Sprayed epoxy primer on cab and doors so I don't have to worry about rust. Frame is up next.

Motown 454
10-24-2021, 04:04 PM
It looks good all one color!

charliebob
11-11-2021, 06:13 AM
U-POL Raptor bed liner as an undercoating

Peanut1959
11-11-2021, 03:31 PM
I've debated how to weatherproof my Lark's underside when I build it. This seems like a good solution.

charliebob
11-11-2021, 04:09 PM
I've debated how to weatherproof my Lark's underside when I build it. This seems like a good solution.

Raptor liner is really easy to use, and has held up very well in my El Camino bed.

I will also apply it to the undersides of fenders to cut down on noise and to keep rocks from chipping paint on the topside.

Seam sealer can be applied under the Raptor liner.

Like those Larks!

Motown 454
11-11-2021, 07:30 PM
I like the raptor liner , wish I had used it on mine. Nice job.

charliebob
11-15-2021, 05:48 AM
Took a break from sheetmetal bashing and painting to make a relay and fuse panel fitted underneath the passenger seat, with an aluminum protective cover. The black box is a 1980-90s chevy truck underhood fuse box, rewired. Wiring for engine is separate.

Motown 454
11-15-2021, 07:56 PM
It looks great nice and neat.

wfo guy
11-16-2021, 05:33 AM
Looks good.

charliebob
11-20-2021, 04:43 AM
Thanks guys

charliebob
12-19-2021, 05:05 AM
To get adjustability in ride height and spring rate, I converted the CV front shocks/struts to coilovers using aftermarket sleeves (had the parts leftover from a earlier project). The upper CV mount has a round flange that fits inside the CV spring but will not fit the 2.5" ID coil spring. So the CV flange was removed and replaced with a flange that fits outside the 2.5" ID spring.

A new flange on the upper mount is the only metal fabrication required. Bushings are all stock CV.

charliebob
12-20-2021, 04:48 AM
Fuel tank mounted.

dhutton
12-20-2021, 08:23 AM
Awesome build.

Don

charliebob
12-20-2021, 11:08 AM
Awesome build.

Don

Thanks, Don. Lots of work left to do.

TANKMASTERJ
12-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Progress was paused on sheetmetal bashing so that I could build a frame. To keep things simple with readily available parts, I used a Crown Vic front suspension and a 9" Ford rear with triangulated 4-link. I'm using coil overs on the rear, with overload air bags (not in pic) in case I want to haul heavy loads.

Front and rear frame stubs will be added later. The driveshaft hoop looks clunky, but made strong because this is where frame twisting forces are centered. An additional hoop will be added toward the front of the driveshaft.

Now I can mount the cab and get back to sheetmetal work.

The crown vic front goods look like it was factory dreamed up to go there. Awesome work. I'm digging the wide old ford and subscribed.
Tankmasterj

charliebob
12-24-2021, 07:15 AM
The crown vic front goods look like it was factory dreamed up to go there. Awesome work. I'm digging the wide old ford and subscribed.
Tankmasterj

Thanks, Tankmaster

charliebob
12-24-2021, 07:18 AM
Accord power seat mounted. Now if I just had a powertrain!

Motown 454
12-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Your work looks really good, it’s going to be a nice ride with that setup.

charliebob
12-26-2021, 02:28 PM
I’m all for comfort, Wayne. Great to see that you are back online after your CNC hip. Hopefully you can get back to CNC car parts soon.

wfo guy
12-27-2021, 10:20 AM
Is that a 32 Ford fuel tank?

charliebob
12-27-2021, 11:27 AM
Is that a 32 Ford fuel tank?

1933-37 Ford Truck, Tanks Inc 34G-PT

charliebob
02-08-2022, 05:34 AM
My friend Charlie FastFeet has a draft pinstriped version of a dream catcher for my dash. This draft is on paper, insert will be aluminum.

Nothing else will be on the dash, as all instruments will be OBD2 on a cell phone or tablet mounted above the windshield.

Cab and front clip are from a firetruck that spent most of its life on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, which is one of several reasons for the theme. I have the bumper with sticker.

charliebob
02-08-2022, 05:47 AM
More history--a BIA tag from the truck.

charliebob
03-27-2022, 03:59 AM
Here is the draft dash insert by Charlie Fast Feet. This is on thin metal. He calls it a draft, and is painting the final version on 1/8" aluminum.

The so-called draft will make a great wall hanging!

No gauges will be on the dash. All instruments will be via OBD2 on a tablet mounted above the windshield.

Obviously lots more work to do on the truck before the dash insert is permanently attached.

charliebob
08-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Finally got back to working on the truck. The old Garmin is my temporary rear view camera!

charliebob
08-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Never cared for the jailbar grille, so I have made something else. Maybe better, maybe worse. Definitely different.

Grille surround was made from a sliced and diced 1930s window garnish molding.

I may extend the hood out a couple of inches. Dunno! Haven't decided on what type of mesh for a griller insert.

dhutton
08-02-2022, 04:29 PM
That looks great. Awesome work as usual.

Don

Motown 454
08-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Nice Work!

charliebob
08-03-2022, 03:19 AM
That looks great. Awesome work as usual.

Don

Thanks, Don.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Work!

Thanks, Wayne. Hope you can get back to work on your project soon.

thumper877
08-03-2022, 03:35 AM
Agree with you on the grille. That is a awesome upgrade for sure. I like it.

wfo guy
08-03-2022, 04:54 AM
Going in a good direction. :)

charliebob
08-04-2022, 03:37 AM
Thanks thumper877 and wfo guy.

charliebob
09-28-2022, 05:46 AM
Decided that the nose of the hood needed to be pulled out further. For better or worse!202523

wfo guy
09-28-2022, 06:17 AM
I like it. If the front fenders were pulled back some to make it more streamlined, would that be a good thing?

charliebob
09-28-2022, 10:16 AM
I like it. If the front fenders were pulled back some to make it more streamlined, would that be a good thing?

Might be, but I've had all of the sheet metal bashing I can take, at least for now. Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion.

I will be joining the fenders and nose piece to eliminate the seams.

charliebob
10-18-2022, 01:42 PM
Finally got the hood bracing structure, latches, and lift supports fabricated. Thanks to Mercedes salvage for latches and support struts.

Preferred to use short lift supports, but the geometry is tricky because the stock hinges move the hood forward and up. Thus long supports.

Motown 454
10-18-2022, 03:34 PM
They look good.

charliebob
10-18-2022, 03:50 PM
They look good.
Thanks. Not show quality, but should be functional.

Hope you can get back to your project soon.

Bob

Motown 454
10-18-2022, 03:56 PM
Thanks going out there later this week. Thanks.

wfo guy
10-18-2022, 03:56 PM
I like it. It shows some thinking. :)

charliebob
12-30-2022, 05:11 AM
Project on the JailBird has been slow due to other commitments and hoping for steel prices to come down further so I can build a bed.

Made a frame for a magnetic mount for an iPhone that will be my instrument panel. Removable to allow for technology changes and/or mounting a larger tablet.

Dash insert temporarily mounted.

Got the idiot lights wired and mounted above the windshield. Panel is also temporarily mounted--will have nylon washers under the button head bolts. Firetruck plate is original to the 1942 Military firetruck that provided much of the sheetmetal for the front clip.

Gotta build a bed next!

Motown 454
12-31-2022, 06:57 PM
Looks good! Progress is progress.

charliebob
04-11-2023, 03:24 AM
finally some progress. Built a flatbed with partial front fenders grafted on the rear. A side rail lined up with the bead on the cab is planned. Taillight decision pending!

wfo guy
04-11-2023, 05:29 AM
I like where you're headed. Lots of fun starting from scratch. :)

charliebob
04-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Lots of fun starting from scratch. :)

As you know!

How are you doing? Driving your outstanding project?

dhutton
04-11-2023, 02:44 PM
That is awesome work.

Don

charliebob
04-12-2023, 01:05 PM
That is awesome work.

Don

Thanks Don.

wfo guy
04-14-2023, 05:20 AM
Charliebob, I sold the gray 51 at the end of last year. I have some mismatched parts for another project but didn't like where it was headed so I'm stuck in neutral for the 1st time in decades. :)

charliebob
04-14-2023, 07:36 AM
Charliebob, I sold the gray 51 at the end of last year. I have some mismatched parts for another project but didn't like where it was headed so I'm stuck in neutral for the 1st time in decades. :)

BTW, I loved the 51 and your mods.

I'm not "stuck in neutral," but I can't decide what gear to use! Maybe reverse. I need a pickup to occasionally haul stuff long distances (including taking the Jailbar 400 miles to have a friend pinstripe it). Recently traded for a pile of parts that someone gave up on. CV chassis with a 65 F100 loosely attached. I have an 84 F150 that Dad bought new. The 351 HO gave up long ago. Replaced it in 2000 with a LS 5.3 that I had. Drove it for years, then pulled the powertrain to put in a 69 El Camino. Sold the El. So reverse gear is putting the CV chassis under the 84! Then finish the Jailbar.

There should be a lot of good old iron in SW Kansas.

Bob

wfo guy
04-16-2023, 03:18 AM
Bob, my area has been pretty well picked clean. eastern Kansas has had some pretty good sales in the last year but I think it's not as fruitful as it was. When scrap prices got high a few years ago, the scrappers cleaned house. It was sad watching load after load going down the highway. I think the cv under the 84 would be good. That year is wide enough that the read end width wouldn't be such a problem. I have the rear end out of an 88 and a cv rear also. There is about 2" width difference with the cv being the widest. That and the 2015 and newer Mustang rears are the widest Ford's that I have used.

charliebob
06-06-2023, 05:35 AM
Some progress on the bed. Epoxy primer time now!

wfo guy
06-06-2023, 08:59 AM
Kool!

charliebob
06-07-2023, 03:01 AM
My original plan was to paint the truck red since much of the sheetmetal came from a firetruck. But I have decided to paint it flat black and turn it over to my friend Charlie FastFeet for pinstripe art. Thus the rear panel is a big canvass for him.

Charlie did the dash panel.

Obviously my "plan" is drifting away from a touring truck!

charliebob
06-29-2023, 08:29 AM
Thought the original headlights had too much of a bulging eye look, so made use of 1956 F100 trim rings.

Bed finished. No illusions of spoiler being very useful. The rear end looked incomplete, so I added the spoiler.

Motown 454
07-05-2023, 06:54 PM
Sweet! I like it. :cheers: