PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Low Cost Artist??

BRIAN
09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I am redoing my parts chaser truck as my Duster project fell apart. I need a low cost artist to do rendering for me. I know Kris does sort of computer generated deal and his work is great but I am looking for drawings a little lower priced. Thanks

TitoJones
09-23-2004, 04:19 PM
John McBride can do a couple low buck renderings for you.

Email him at [email protected]
Tyler

KrisHorton
09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Probably the first time I've been called high-priced... :dunno: John might be a good alternative. Don't know what he charges though. I thought we were on the same level as far as pricing.

Kris

1970cuda
09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
i tried the less expensive route and waited a long time for the rendering, that when i got it i was not happy. tried that route again with the same results. now i have kris doing one for me(between the star wars movies) and i know this one will be great and take a lot less time then the other two (as long as he doesn't have the watch the fourth dvd too)

KrisHorton
09-24-2004, 05:02 AM
The benefit of having dual monitors...I get to watch my Star Wars DVDs AND work at the same time!

Kris

Rick Dorion
09-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi, Kris. Did you receive my email?

BRIAN
09-24-2004, 08:32 AM
The rendering is for a quick redo of my parts chaser truck and I was not looking to spend too much as I just needed quick idea. Kris your pricing is on par for what I normally pay. I like your work but I do like drawing better than computer generated work as it looks more accurate to me. Once again NO OFFENSE AS YOUR WORK IS VERY NICE.

toddshotrods
09-24-2004, 04:03 PM
If you like 2-d renderings I may be able to help you too. Check out my site (link in my sig) and if you like my style shoot me an email...

rockdogz
09-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Kris, I've been sending you mail too... don't you need any more customers? :icon_razz

gimme a shout...

Thanks,

BRIAN
09-24-2004, 04:34 PM
It is not exactly top secret projct. I have an almost zero rust 83' Chevy short bed fleetside and I want to make quick redo using Chevy SS idea from differnt models. The front and rear bumpers will be widened 60's Camaro rear bumpers. Front valance will be from 69 Camaro. Hood will have SS hood with grilles. Rear gate will get rubber SS pad like 70 Chevelle and rolled rear panel hiding hitch. I want to use either grey TT or 18 SS396 billet rallys. The paint will have SS Camaro hockey puck stripe. Grille to be blackened like Chevelle. Maybe Lemans Blue or the stock rusty brown color. If somebody is interested in making a couple of bucks drawing 3/4 front and rear shots or wants to show off their talents here is your oppurtunity. I normally pay about $250-300 for pro rendering. I am willing to pay a third of that but do not want exagerated computer generated pic that can't be achieved at this budget. Thanks and anybody interetsed the check is ready to go.

KrisHorton
09-24-2004, 04:44 PM
If you want exaggerated, go with a 2D artist, most of them are really good at huge wheels and ridiculous proportions. Only impossible thing in my renderings is the ride height, but that can be modified on the fly. I do anything from mild to wild and anything in between. Given your desired price though, I think it would be fitting to go with a 2D artist. Hey, give Todd a shot. He might even be able to build some of the parts for you. :smoke:

toddshotrods
09-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Brian, I would love to help but I can't do a full color 3/4 view rendering for the price you mentioned.

Kris, I think a lot of 2D guys do exaggerated renderings because we serve what are basically street rodders with modern vehicles - that's how they like to see their projects depicted. If you really think about it current big buck street rods are actually exaggerated. Small vehicles with huge 22" wheels and rubber band tires stuffed under the back, air bag suspensions to make them sit on the ground just like the car in the rendering, etc, etc.

zbugger
09-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Heh... You think his asking price is low? I'm getting better everytime I try and do my own.... Free is good.

B Cichocki
09-25-2004, 06:03 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with the remark about 2D renderings being typically out of proportion. If you know what you're doing it's not a problem. Most of the 3D renderings I've seen over the years aren't even 100% true to the shape and proportion of the actual sheet metal on the cars.

Brian, I might be able to help you out. It depends on what time frame you're looking at though, since I'm a college student and I've got work out the wazoo (upper level bio and art classes...need I say more?). Here's a rendering I did (with really subpar coloration, I must admit, but it's the only one I have on this computer). Doesn't look too out of proportion or exaggerated to me. :rolleyes5
-Brian

KrisHorton
09-25-2004, 06:06 AM
The 2D art I'm referring to is the stuff you see from car designers such as those from Art Center. They always have very ridiculously big wheels and such. I think most of the artists around here are pretty good about keeping true to the look of an actual car though. I was just generalizing I guess.

Kris

toddshotrods
09-25-2004, 08:49 AM
I wasn't offended by the comment, maybe it was generalizing things a bit, but there is some truth in it.

I do exaggerate certain features sometimes, purposely. Take my rendering of my Camaro for example: I drew it with huge 20 & 22" wheels tucked waaay up inside the wheelwells. The wheels are actually feasible, if I decide to go for the modern street rod look on the street and at the shows (with a proper set of 17's & 18's for track duties). The stance is not because it would require air suspension which I do not want on this car. I just like the way it looks on the ground. It's a shoot for the stars and land on the moon kind of thing.

So I plead "guilty" :spank2: Hey, what do you expect out of a drag racer/street rodder who likes to go around corners too?

I think the main thing for any automotive artist is to keep in mind the needs and desires of the client. If they like somewhat unrealistic flashy art that inspires them to finish the project, the renderings served their purpose. Likewise, if it is a function dictates form set like this club, you have to tone down the drama and serve the need.

JUST KIDDING HERE!!! Kris your art does look incredibly real, but the paint jobs would cost ten to fifteen grand to replicate! I have only seen two shops in my area capable of doing paint jobs that would look that good in person and they are both HIGH!

B Cichocki
09-25-2004, 09:55 AM
I wasn't offended, either. I just felt like dragging my knuckles from my stone age drafting table to the computer to make a reply! :bananna2: In all seriousness, though, I see what y'all are saying. As far as the stuff coming out of Art Center, however, the majority of it isn't meant to render a car in 100% reality. Those exaggerated images are design studies to try and get a sense of what is feasible and what isn't. Of course some of the designs could never be built and made functional. But that's not the point. They're just stepping stones to what can be done.
-Brian

KrisHorton
09-25-2004, 06:15 PM
JUST KIDDING HERE!!! Kris your art does look incredibly real, but the paint jobs would cost ten to fifteen grand to replicate! I have only seen two shops in my area capable of doing paint jobs that would look that good in person and they are both HIGH!

I could...make my model's bodies a bit wavier and dull the paint a bit if you think it'd be more realistic.... :dunno: One of the many services I offer. Want me to crap it up? You got it. Oxidized paint and misaligned panels coming right up!

:smoke:

dennis68
09-25-2004, 06:21 PM
:seizure: I really want to se that. Take one of cuuent models and ghetto the crap out of it.

BRIAN
09-25-2004, 07:23 PM
OK guys I was not looking to start any sort of argument here, I just was looking for lower cost rendering of car. I never said anything to offend anyone. There are many artists each with a different style. I think we all have to be objective enough to understand this. Kris your style is a little more stretching the lines to give the car a more modern look. I prefer a more accurate rendering for the simple reason that if I show your picture to someone who I am building a car for they are going to expect it to look like that when it is done. To achieve that it may require some serious roof line, windshield rake, and body modifications. In other words it looks great on paper but will make me look bad when it is done. I do like your style and if I was building a $200k car where these mods were obtainable this would be ok. The last rendering I had done was so specific we even laid the flame job out to the exact marks on the vehicle. I am not trying to WOW somebody with the picture but rather have an accurate blueprint for what I am doing. Just as you may think what I do does not fit your needs doesn't mean it isn't quality it just not the style you are looking for. I have seen your work in several of the mags and think you are a talented artist. Your work just does not fit my needs for this project. HEY, somebody just draw my damn truck before I bust out the crayons myself.

KrisHorton
09-25-2004, 08:10 PM
If building an actual digital model in 3 dimensions against blueprints isn't close enough, I don't know what is.

If being able to print out one of my renderings large enough to use as a stencil for a flame job (was done with one of my cars) isn't realistic enough, what is?

I'm not trying to get you to go with me for the renderings, in fact, I honestly don't have time to take on many extra jobs right now (especially any that would only be a third or so of my normal price.) I am just trying to get you to see that my work is not as outrageous and unrealistic as you are making it out to be. You really sound like you are trying to discredit me and then slapping the words "no offense" on it. I am not offended, but to go on a public forum and say the my work is unrealistic isn't very cool. It's a matter of opinion, and I respect that, but you singled me out. You seem to have formulated a false impression about my work.

TurboLark
09-26-2004, 07:46 AM
From what I have seen, you cant get any more realistic looking than the renderings from Kris or McBride. May not be the cheapest, but you tend to get what you pay for.

BRIAN
09-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Kris you are getting bent out of shape and for some reason thinking every comment is directed at you. Read my first post the reason I mentioned your name was because I knew there would be 20 replies telling me to use you as your work dominates this site.. In my opinion I do not like computer generated images and your right I do not feel there is any reason to apologize about it?? To me they are usually strecthed out and distorted and not what I like using. Like I said earlier, yeah a picture of an early Camaro with a grille that is pinched 3 inches looks great but can't be replicated out side of a $200k build up. In every post I have explained yes you are very talented at what you do, what more do you want me to say? Nobody said that was specific to your work. I was just looking for an artist within a specific price range for a cheap project. You elected to chime in regard to your pricing which I never said was high, just not what I was looking to spend for this project. As an artist you more than anybody should be able to understand not everybody is going to like everything you do as art is subjective. I have never bashed you and that is not my style. But if you feel you are the spokesman for all computer generated artists well than there is nothing I can do. As a business man your reply should be that you could taylor your work to what I was looking for or pass on the job.

KrisHorton
09-26-2004, 03:42 PM
I understand everything in your last post and agree with most of it. I think the Camaro that I "pinched" the grille on is my 5th Gen concept. I always make my models to the exact specs of the real car. Have you seen any of my first gen Camaros? I don't think that I have ever pinched their grilles...maybe that is where the confusion is. I'm just trying to figure out where I may have gone wrong....

Kris

Here is my website, on which you will find many of my models.
www.carsbykris.com

MangeMD
09-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Kris' renderings are exactly to scale bro. Are you referring (as Kris mentioned) to his 5th gen prototypes? One was orange and then there was a red RS version. Those aren't first gens, they are just made to resemble them. Go to his site and look at the cars. They are exact. No rake/stretch/etc. Kris' renderings look like photos bro.

BRIAN
09-28-2004, 07:40 AM
Kris, I apologize if I have insulted you as that was not my intetntions. You are a very talented artis who is getting the recognition that you deserve. I was simply looking for a low cost drawing which I knew would be something that would be not desirable for you to do at that cost. I should have never mentioned your or any other name. Good luck in whatever you do.

DonTalarico
10-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I emailed Kris but he didn't reply with an answer. I'm trying to find out the price of a rendering...

KrisHorton
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
DonTalarico,

Try sending it again, it might have been caught up in one of my periodical e-mail floods and I may have looked over it. Sponsors and customers alike have been e-mailing me frequently over the past weeks and it's easy to accidentally pass over or not reply to a few of them. Go ahead and resend when you get a chance and title it SECOND NOTICE or something like that...it ought to catch my eye that way.

Brian,

No hard feelings and I appreciate the kind words. :icon996:

nvawgn
10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
hey kris, in general how much do you charge for a rendering, favors aside and such.
i know every car is differnt but a guestimate would be great :attn: :help!:

F70t/a
10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Same here kris, you could pm me if you dont want to say on here :drool:

BADVELLE
10-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Man, this whole thing got out of hand real quick! Two pages for a simple question, you guys play nice!!!!!!
:moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :moon: :) :enguard: