PDA

View Full Version : Mini-tub on 1970 Cutlass?

DreKoushRanada
10-05-2020, 11:52 AM
I was looking at the car and was curious/brainstorming how to cut the floor.
I have a plasma cutter btw. I was thinking cut the inner fender from the outer fender leaving a 1" lip then connect the 2 with the 5.5" filler strips. Then around the red line depicted in the pictures, cut 2.5" out. I will cut through a trunk brace some. Will miss the body to frame mounting location some also. I already notched the frame to go along with the whole concept.
Does this look like a sound way of approaching it?

79 Camaro
10-18-2020, 06:03 PM
That's pretty much I did with my 67 Nova and 73 Firebird. That flanged filler piece looks great. You may have to "twist" it a bit to get it match the contour of the inner wheel well. I welded the filler panel in and then body worked it so you couldn't tell it was wider. Seam sealed the under side. Trunk hinge brace just either drill out spot welds or cut it on the vertical part then weld to the new wheel well. The piece between the wheel wells behind rear seat I notched to fit the new wheel wells. Actually I filled all the holes in that panel.

DreKoushRanada
10-22-2020, 05:38 AM
That's pretty much I did with my 67 Nova and 73 Firebird. That flanged filler piece looks great. You may have to "twist" it a bit to get it match the contour of the inner wheel well. I welded the filler panel in and then body worked it so you couldn't tell it was wider. Seam sealed the under side. Trunk hinge brace just either drill out spot welds or cut it on the vertical part then weld to the new wheel well. The piece between the wheel wells behind rear seat I notched to fit the new wheel wells. Actually I filled all the holes in that panel.

I have completed the process mostly. Going to add some photos soon. Save me a ton of money doing it myself.

DreKoushRanada
11-11-2020, 06:14 AM
Task complete... For the most .

Oldsmoboogie
11-11-2020, 03:37 PM
What size tire are you running? I have a 72 Cutlass and i can fit 315’s in the stock wheel well just by rolling the fender lip.

DreKoushRanada
11-11-2020, 06:01 PM
What size tire are you running? I have a 72 Cutlass and i can fit 315’s in the stock wheel well just by rolling the fender lip.

315-35-20. Thinking of going bigger in the future. Frame is notched and rear end shortened 2".

BBSkylark
01-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Can you post a picture of what the underneath looks like after you finished cutting and adding? I am curious how you worked around the floor pan brace right near the wheel tub (where the red line is drawn on your picture). I will be doing my 70 Buick as well however I am planning on going with ABC Performance mini tub's for a GM A Body. http://www.abcperformance.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_94&products_id=39

Thanks!

DreKoushRanada
02-15-2022, 04:34 AM
Can you post a picture of what the underneath looks like after you finished cutting and adding? I am curious how you worked around the floor pan brace right near the wheel tub (where the red line is drawn on your picture). I will be doing my 70 Buick as well however I am planning on going with ABC Performance mini tub's for a GM A Body. http://www.abcperformance.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_94&products_id=39

Thanks!
Apologies for the delay. I am currently deployed and it will be a few months before I can get the photos for you.

xcalibre99
03-18-2022, 01:56 AM
Where did you get those filler stripes from and how wide are each strip?

DreKoushRanada
03-31-2022, 01:29 AM
Where did you get those filler stripes from and how wide are each strip?
Jeff at Allison Customs fabricated these for me. They are 2.5” wide.