PDA

View Full Version : lt1 carrier & axles in stock 64 malibu axle housing?

AndyB
12-23-2005, 09:49 AM
My 64 malibu came with a 283 and a power glide. I assume the rear is an open 10 bolt, but I am not exactly sure because I have not taken it apart. I recently aquired two complete rear axles from a lt1 camaro. These are junk yard units and my main interest in these was for the brakes. I opened them both up and one is broken up pretty good, but the other one appears to be in perfect shape, so that got me thinking.

I plan to mini tub the car the way Mark Stielow did with Malitude. However instead of ordering a brand new rear of the correct length like he did, my plan is to remove the axle tubes from the stock housing, cut two inches from the inside of each tube then re-insert and weld them back into the center section.

Does anyone know if the carrier & posi unit from the lt1 rear will work in the stock 64 malibu axle housing? That would be sweet if I could have the lt1 axles cut and re-splined to the correct length and be able to use the carrier from the lt1 unit.

Thanks,
Andy

derekf
12-23-2005, 10:55 AM
My expectation is that the 7 5/8" ring gear carrier wouldn't be a drop in replacement for the stock 8.2" ring gear carrier - but I have not actually tried it; it may fit together a lot better than I'd think.

AndyB
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
derekf,

Thanks for the ring gear sizes, I did not know them. That will make it easier to search for more info.

If I don't find out beforehand, I guess I'll know for sure in a month or so when I take the stock rear apart. I'll post what I find.