PDA

View Full Version : BigStuff3 operating system....

Jagarang
12-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Wifey wants to buy me a laptop for X-mas....schweeeet!

Along with a DVD burner and general multimedia goodies, I also want to make sure it has the capacity/compatibility with the BigStuff3 EFI going under the hood. I contacted my closest dealer(he had no idea what I was talking about) and I have also left messages with the contact number listed on BigStuff3.com. Have not gotten any response.

Anybody know what my laptop software/operating system would need to be to run BS3?

Thanks guys.

GetMore
12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
I would say that any current system is capable of running it. From what I've seen the tuning software for all the systems is made to run on older laptops.
Check to see if the cable is USB or Serial. You will have a hard time finding serial ports on computers nowadays, and some of the USB-to-serial adapters are not completely compatible.

12-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Any laptop that is 10 years old or newer will work.

Kurt

Blown353
12-24-2005, 02:21 PM
The only issue I've seen with older laptops is they sometimes can't keep up with datalogging at the maximum rate.

My oldschool P1-233 Dell Laptop suffers from "dropouts" in the datalogging every few seconds if I record at the maximum rate; no such issues if I use a lower capture rate or use a newer laptop.

Troy

ProdigyCustoms
12-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Actually, it seems often times new laptops do not have serial ports, yet I do not think any FI set ups use USB, so either a adapter is needed or a 9 pin adpter in the laptop is perfect.

pushrod243
12-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I picked up a serial port to usb adaptor at Radio Shack and it works fine on my fast xfi. Its nearly impossible to find a new laptop with a serial port

lftnwhls
12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey if you are buying a new laptop I just got one from dell and they installed a serial port for me they didn't charge very much and I use it everyday for communications with the UPS's that I repair. It is much better to have the serial card installed than having problems with the adapters.

ProStreet R/T
12-27-2005, 11:42 AM
For this very reason I kept my old cheap laptop for tuning the FAST. Just leave it in the truck and it's there if I ever need it.

The serial port:usb adaptors are sketchy at best, From what I understand they are not universally wired, so some may not work properly.

Fast sells an adaptor but they want something like $60 for it. If you can order the laptop with a serial card installed from the start.

But as far as system requirements there aren't any, I would venture to say a good graphing calculator could run the program, lol.

EFI69Cam
12-28-2005, 06:54 AM
I bought an old dell c600 for $250. Its a P3, 1Ghz 512 ram and a 14 inch screen. Another bonus is the modular bays that allow 2 batteries that give 4-6 hours of run time.

I agree with the idea of buying a separate laptop for tuning. You don't want anti virus software, firewalls or any of that stuff.