PDA

View Full Version : New stuff coming down the turnpike - active alignment

Vimes
08-14-2020, 05:33 PM
https://www.doftek.com.au/

I see it as just another thing to break, but it also looked interesting. Wheel alignment changes as you drive.

anguilla1980
08-14-2020, 11:41 PM
"Designed and engineered over two years, Doftek’s AWAS addresses many shortfalls of previous attempts that were heavy, expensive, and incompatible with existing production vehicle suspension geometries. Doftek’s AWAS addresses these issues and can be fitted to the front or rear of the vehicle. It is lightweight, compact, and suitable for fitment to MacPherson strut, double-wishbone and multi-link suspensions systems.

Version one of Doftek’s AWAS allows for on-the-fly adjustment of wheel alignment via a three-mode selector switch, offering Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes with the corresponding 0-degree, -1.5-degree and -3-degree camber to suit different driving conditions. This system has been extensively developed and tested, and provides at least: 15% increase in handling performance; 10% reduction in rolling resistance; and 10% reduction in peak tyre temperatures. With support from AMGC, Doftek is now working on the second version of its system, which will offer next-generation dynamic (semi-active) and adaptive (real- time) capabilities. This system will also achieve an improvement of up-to 29% in handling performance observed during initial testing with differential camber settings."

mikedc
08-18-2020, 12:37 PM
10% reduced rolling resistance? 15% handling gains? Those are huge claims. If they deliver even half that much then these setups will go mainstream whether we like it or not. Tire drag is a serious detriment to MPG especially on sports cars.

It also looks like a nice, big, expensive, unavoidable problem for the 3rd owner to pay for. The higher-ups will be briefed on the warranty costs of replacing one corner (due to unexpected failure) when the car is new, and deem it reasonable. Will anybody bring up the cost of replacing all four corners (due to high mileage) when the car is 80% depreciated?

Vimes
08-18-2020, 08:23 PM
10% reduced rolling resistance? 15% handling gains? Those are huge claims. If they deliver even half that much then these setups will go mainstream whether we like it or not. Tire drag is a serious detriment to MPG especially on sports cars.

It also looks like a nice, big, expensive, unavoidable problem for the 3rd owner to pay for. The higher-ups will be briefed on the warranty costs of replacing one corner (due to unexpected failure) when the car is new, and deem it reasonable. Will anybody bring up the cost of replacing all four corners (due to high mileage) when the car is 80% depreciated?

What will probably happen is someone will develop an eliminator kit that costs a fraction of the repair cost, like what is done on other hugely expensive but not necessarily critical systems, like GM's thousand dollar apiece magnaride shocks being replaced with regular shocks and a resistor* to keep the computer happy.

*I don't know exactly what it takes to replace the magnaride system as I've never had to, I just know that it can be done.