PDA

View Full Version : Mk VIII fan in a first gen w/BBC

EVO
12-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Just wanted to show a few pics of the fan install in my 69. Bought a Mk VIII fan/controller combo from Jabin (gmachinz)(great service BTW) only to find out that it would not fit a first gen with a BBC without some modifications. To maximize room behind the core support, I decided to first get the radiator closer to the core support and further away from the front of the engine. Im using a Griffin aluminum radiator which has welded on plates on the sides to mount to the core support. These plates spaced the radiator about 1" away from the support. I cut about 1/2" out of these side plates and riveted them back together. In addition, the lip around the radiator opening in the core support was trimmed off. This gave me almost 3/4" more space. Next, I trimmed about 1/2" off of the plastic fan shroud to get it closer to the radiator. The fan blades are about 3/4" away from the fins now. I also mounted the fan upside down which placed the fan motor off to the side of my water pump pulley. I will post again with more results once I run the engine with the new fan/controller combo. Its definately a tight fit but it does work. There is about 1/2" clearance between the water pump pulley and the fan motor. Here are some pics:
Evan Q.

EVO
12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
A few more pics:
Evan Q.

68BNUT
12-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Man that is tight in there, I JUST thought I had tight clearance with my long water pump and fan. Looks good though, good job.

EVO
12-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks Justin, It was a bit of work but I figured it could be done. If you are using a long water pump, I assume you are running a small block? How do you like the fan?
Evan Q.
BTW, How far is Bedford from S.A.?

68BNUT
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Well so far the fan is working great, of course I just put it in the beginning of november it hasnt really gotten a chance to get seriously hot yet. But when I do take it out it sits right at 185 no higher no lower.

OH and Bedford is the belly button of the DFW metroplex, Im right by the airport.

EVO
02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Happy to report that the Mk8 fan/DC controller combo is working great. Drove the car all day today and the temp stayed a solid 175 deg no matter whether I was in traffic or on the highway. The needle never even budged. Ambient temp was 85 deg and I have the -14 deg jumper installed. Could watch the voltmeter and see the fan voltage being ramped up and down to keep a constant temp. Nice to know I can now make it through a drive-thru or stop n go traffic without overheating. I also installed one of Jabin's custom CS140 140 amp alternators to power the fan and all my other electronic stuff. Alternator puts out a steady 14.5V even at idle. Even with the fan at full output it didnt go lower than 14v. Great stuff. Kudos to Jabin at Gmachinz.com for the alternator, fan and controller.
Evan Q.

67RSSS502
02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi Evan,

Your install looks great! Can you tell me if you are running a long or short style water pump? I am planning on installing my rad and fan setup from Jabin in the coming weeks, and I have a BBC with a short style in my car so I am trying to make sure I have all the bases covered.

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

EVO
02-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Dion, I'm running a short style edelbrock reverse rotation water pump with the serpentine belt system on the 502. The fan is definately a tight fit but its doable. BTW, you will probably have to mount the fan upside down, trim the shroud a bit and get the radiator closer to the core support as I did so that the fan motor clears the water pump pulley. Its the only place where clearance is needed. I mounted the fan to the radiator with small sheets of .040 aluminum and pop rivets. Good luck on your install and let us know how it goes.
Evan Q.

67RSSS502
02-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Evan! I was wondering if you could double check a few things for me so I can save some head scratching later.....

Can you measure from the total distance from the base of the welded on plates on the sides to the front of the rad, closest to the waterpump? I am trying to determine the total soace this piece takes up on your install.

Can you also measure the fan shroud from the radiator back towards to the waterpump just to the point that the shroud square offs? Please measure to the outside edge of that edge closest to the waterpump.

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

EVO
02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Dion, The distance from the radiator base plates to the rear of the radiator is appox
3 1/4 " and the thickness of the shroud from the radiator to the fan motor is approx
4 3/4". So if your radiator/fan assembly is 8" thick at the highest point(fan motor) it should fit. BTW, you can get some extra space by trimming the lip off of the opening in the core support. Hope this helps,
Evan Q.

67RSSS502
02-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks Evan! I mocked up the rad and fan today and measured from the mounting tabs on the rad to the motor on the fan and came up with 9 1/4". So to help move things the 1 1/4" I need I am thinking of the following:

* trim 5/8" off the fan shroud
* trim the lip from the rad support lip like you did 3/4"

In total this should give me 1 3/8".... What do you think?

I just have my rad and fan to look at right now as the shop my car is at is 10 minutes away and I am under "house arrest" until the doctor changes some restrictions on activity :crying:

I have asked one of my buddies to bring a rad support to me to look at so I can see exactly what you trimmed out, but I am 99% sure I know based on your post.

Thanks again!
Dion
67RSSS502

EVO
02-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Dion, Those changes should work. If you need additional space, you can either shorten the radiator mounting plates as I did or move the whole radiator towards the drivers side to clear the water pump pulley. Also, be carefull trimming the shroud as the fan blades need to be at least 3/4" away from the fins to function efficiently.
Evan Q.
http://www.evoshangar.com

gmachinz
02-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Evan, glad to hear your system is working as designed! Your cooling system is probably one thing you'll never have to woory about now. keep in mind should you ever opt for an electric water pump, I have wire harnesses now that allow that controller to monitor pump speed based on temp also. Used together, it's an unbeatable system! Thanks for the good comments! -Jabin

67RSSS502
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Evan,

I put my radiator on a rad support tonight in the basement and now I am wondering if I have to rethink my plan. After mocking it up I am assuming the reason you trimmed the lip off the rad support was as a direct result of you reducing the radiator mounting plates by 1/2". From what I can see if I trimmed my radiator mounting plates I would need to trim this lip off.

Thoughts?
Dion
67RSSS502

EVO
02-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Dion, Yes, That is exactly the case. I removed the lip from the core support to facilitate the shortening of the radiator mounts. Sorry I didnt specify that.
Evan Q.

67RSSS502
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks! I was kind of wondering how that lip was an issue without changing the the radiator mounting brackets... But sometimes at least with me until I can see it things don't make sense.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
Dion
67RSSS502