PDA

View Full Version : GM 6spd auto

USAZR1
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't mind swapping out my T56 for one of these. Anyone have any idea when something like this might become available? Cost estimates?

4MuscleMachines
12-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Maybe streetfytr68 will chime in, I am sure Steve has a sizeable amount of information on this.

Steve Chryssos
12-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Just a tip from a GM insider that says "Don't hold your breath" Adapting the hardware is easy (bellhousing, driveshaft, mounts, etc.). The difficult part will be adapting the computer. GM puts a lot of work into creating the shift scheduling program for each specific application. So if you are churning out 1000's of identical Corvettes, you just load the same program in each car.
To then take that computer and apply it to a variety of hot rods with varying specs presents a problem for the aftermarket. The computer needs to be programmable so that you can make it work with your engine, your final gear ratio, your tire diameter, etc. That's the hard part.
Believe me, I want it bad! You will then have six ratios to compete with the gear spacing in a manual box plus all the benefits of manumatic function. Maybe GM Performance Parts will offer a programmable unit. Otherwise, if anyone can figure it out, it's these guys:

http://www.transmissioncontroller.com

andrewb70
12-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Is the new 6spd as strong as a 4L80E?

Andrew

Steve Chryssos
12-22-2005, 08:37 AM
That's what they say. Smaller, stronger better.

USAZR1
12-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I can wait. My car isn't going anywhere and I still like the 6spd manual.
Maybe we will see some movement on a 6spd auto in the next few years. One of those transmissions with a Shrifter would be a very nice set-up.

Steve Chryssos
12-25-2005, 04:57 PM
......Maybe we will see some movement on a 6spd auto in the next few years. One of those transmissions with a Shrifter would be a very nice set-up.

I couldn't agree more. The best way to make it work for now is to put it behind a bone stock LS2. Minimize the variables since that's what the 6L80E's calibration is set up for.

USAZR1
12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
A stock LS2 and 6L80E would make a great swap into my 69. Now the $64K question: what GM vehicle uses this set-up in a rwd application that would work in my car?

Ralph LoGrasso
12-28-2005, 04:29 PM
'06 C6, and maybe the GTO will be offered with the 6L80E in a year or two as well?

Steve Chryssos
12-29-2005, 07:34 AM
The GTO is a good source. But then you have to wait for someone to roll their car. Best bet is to get the engine, trans and ECU from a GM dealer. But first I want to find out if the computers are dependent on anciliiary systems such as ABS and traction control. This stuff's really sophisiticated.

But hey, that's what makes it good. And the harder it is to figure out, the more exclusive your hot rod will be. I've got two projects to finish up first, then I will dive in to the 6L80E face first. No sense rushing in. May as well wait and see what GMPP releases. Information, at this stage, is still limited to glorified press releases.

Diognes56
04-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Any new developments?

David