PDA

View Full Version : New Member/Gentleman Driver/Got the Pro-Touring Bug now!

Crazy Horse
06-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Hi Guys!
I am a newbie so bear with me...I am here to learn from the experts!!!
I have been around cars all my life (racing, collecting, fixing, restoring and even dealing them -Licensed in TX a few years back...horrible experience, the good ones are like living creatures to me and it was too hard to let them go-).
Anyhow, now, I have been bitten by the Pro-Touring/G-Machine Bug.
I guess I want to build/buy something that is not restricted by a set of rules or Classes (as in the governing bodies of organized racing).
I want to build a Chevy or something in the GM family for a change (I have three Ford race cars). And also leaning more towards a G-Machine with only a few Creature Comforts like A/C.

My First Choice is a '65 or '67 GTO, just because I think they are the coolest and most beautiful Muscle Cars ever made. I know they are not small but I would not be really racing it (just the occasional track day).
Second Choice would be a '66 to '72 Chevelle
Third Choice 1st or 2nd Gen Camaro.
Fourth Choice Nova (around '69).
Fifth Choice...anything that catches my eye in the future...hehe

Minimum Requirements for the build...
1- As a sort of racer, safety is ALWAYS First...so a four to six point Cage and Fuel Cell is a must (also Fire Suppression System). Six Point Harness.
2.- Chassis and Suspension...I like Schwartz Chassis and whatever modern suspension is available for the specific build with coilovers (Reiger or Penske Shocks). It is incredible what a top Shock would do to the dynamics of your set up.
3.- Brakes...we use very different combinations and setups for racing, but for Rally we use PFC Brakes with Endless Brake Pads and they work amazing.
4.- Engine...If I go modern (ECU, Harness, etc), I really like what Mast Motorsports are doing. If I go Old School, I would do Chevy Racing Crate with EFI.
5.- Tranny...Tremec TKO 600 or Magnum. With probably QuarterMaster Double Disc.
6.- Recaro Rally Seats.

I will be probably pulling the trigger by Fall, on the meantime I will be learning from you guys.
I think I will start looking for a nice and solid body or a project for now.

Thanks Guys,
Alex

Ps.- I look at my emails and posts every night, I do answer all of them but after work.

andrewb70
06-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Hi Alex!

Welcome to the forum.

Andrew

StRacerDuke
06-03-2020, 04:58 AM
Sounds like a Roadster Shop chassis with a Wagner or Mast LS should check most of your boxes pretty quickly...

Zspoiler
06-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Welcome aboard

Crazy Horse
06-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks Guys...looking forward to my build.
I will definitely take a look at that Roadster Shop and Wagner options Duke.
Btw...I found a really nice '65 GTO in Florida but it is a little on the high side for a starter (don't know how to call a Restored to Original car).
Made my "low baller" offer explaining why it is a low baller...I really hate doing that.
Will keep you guys posted
Cheers

andrewb70
06-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Thanks Guys...looking forward to my build.
I will definitely take a look at that Roadster Shop and Wagner options Duke.
Btw...I found a really nice '65 GTO in Florida but it is a little on the high side for a starter (don't know how to call a Restored to Original car).
Made my "low baller" offer explaining why it is a low baller...I really hate doing that.
Will keep you guys posted
Cheers

I don't feel bad when making offers....they are just that...offers...sellers are free to accept, deny, or counter...At least he knows you're a real potential buyer.

Andrew

Crazy Horse
06-03-2020, 11:38 AM
I don't feel bad when making offers....they are just that...offers...sellers are free to accept, deny, or counter...At least he knows you're a real potential buyer.

Andrew

Amen to that Brother!

Btw...beautiful GOAT.
I had one when I was a Dealer in TX...survivor with 60k miles. Fell in love with it and used it as a DD for months. Only did a Tune Up, respray, brakes and Magnaflows. Drove like a Dream! Really hurt to let go.

If you ever feel like selling yours...I am on the market...hehe

andrewb70
06-03-2020, 11:59 AM
Amen to that Brother!

Btw...beautiful GOAT.
I had one when I was a Dealer in TX...survivor with 60k miles. Fell in love with it and used it as a DD for months. Only did a Tune Up, respray, brakes and Magnaflows. Drove like a Dream! Really hurt to let go.

If you ever feel like selling yours...I am on the market...hehe

Everything is for sale...make me an offer :-P

Crazy Horse
06-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Hehe...good answer!
Let me get more familiar with this wonderful Pro-Touring world and then we'll talk.
Cheers!
BTW-Loved your "Greasers vs Waxers" editorial. Right on the button!!!

andrewb70
06-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Hehe...good answer!
Let me get more familiar with this wonderful Pro-Touring world and then we'll talk.
Cheers!
BTW-Loved your "Greasers vs Waxers" editorial. Right on the button!!!

Thank you, Sir!

Rod
06-04-2020, 07:10 AM
welcome

Crazy Horse
06-04-2020, 10:14 AM
welcome

Thanks Rod!
That's some aggressive camber you are running there. -5.5?

minendrews68
06-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Welcome to the site! Early GTO? What's not to like about those cars. Your right beautiful. I've always been partial to the '66 myself. I don't have one but they're beautiful cars. keep us posted with plenty of pictures. Good luck finding your dream car.

Crazy Horse
06-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the site! Early GTO? What's not to like about those cars. Your right beautiful. I've always been partial to the '66 myself. I don't have one but they're beautiful cars. keep us posted with plenty of pictures. Good luck finding your dream car.
Thanks...sorry for the late reply, somehow I am not getting notified about the answered posts so I am fishing them.
I jumped the gun and bought a 70 Chevelle Roller...started a new Thread called 70 Chevelle G-Machine on the Project Update section.
Already started ordering goodies...very excited about the build. :headbang:

JacobClark86
07-07-2020, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the forum and nice to meet you!

Kit Wade
07-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the forum, Alex! No worries man, same as you, I also have a lot to learn, but hey, everything begins with baby steps.