PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Angle

hotroddr
12-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I posted at lateral G but I thought I would check here as well
Anyone see any problems with this angle? I am mocking up the radiator so I can finish the frame and I think It should work best to scoop some air up from under the bumper with an air dam, as well as some from the grill, then pull it through the radiator and vent it to the wheel wells. This angle seemed the most logical to me for air flow but I wanted to run it by you all.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
It now sits real low in the engine compartment, which seems like it could be an advantage for aesthetics and whatnot.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I dont like the look of an air dam under the bumper right on the front of the truck so I was thought I may as well use some of the air that would otherwise go under the truck by scooping it up with a set back air dam, kind of like the c5 corvette(actually 3 and 6 too probably)

engine
12-20-2005, 06:36 PM
A stingray Corvette radiator is angled the other way toward the engine, in the same manner due to the slope of the nose. I don't see why yours would be a problem...

jcs
12-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I would think that would be just fine. Many cars have radiators at angles like that or more horizontal, C2 vettes come to mind.

derekf
12-21-2005, 03:52 AM
My only concern would be road debris getting kicked up into it. Some sort of wire mesh would likely take care of that for you though.

hotroddr
12-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Good point...I will plan on wire mesh under the front then.
This angle looked like the best angle because I am going to vent the air into the wheel wells so the air will have to go up anyway. I will experiment with it once I get it running and see how it works.
Also....is there any reason to have air flow over the engine itself or are the radiator/oil/tranny coolers enough?

Travis B
12-21-2005, 09:28 AM
that angle should be fine....is that the radiator out of the duramax doesn't look as big as one of them!