PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro Drum brake drop spindle?

killer69
12-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Any one know who makes a 2" drop spindle fro the drum brake cars?

I have way too many parts already to change to anything else and with the ride height the customer wants i need some.

Any help

silver69camaro
12-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Any one know who makes a 2" drop spindle fro the drum brake cars?

I have way too many parts already to change to anything else and with the ride height the customer wants i need some.

Any help

The drop spindles that I know of shouldn't even be used at all, they cause big bumpsteer problems, and some severely limit tire sizes (tie rod end hits tire or wheel). I don't remember specific names or instances, sorry.

If you do find a good set, I believe the disc brake caliper bracket boss is about .610" shorter than the drum spindle. Space it out (every drop spindle you find will be for discs) with some washers and put the backing plate on. Should be good to go.

Lowend
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge there is no drum brake drop spindle...
You can get a set of Hotchkis springs for less than $200 though

killer69
12-20-2005, 06:34 PM
I saw SSBC brakes had a flier at SEMA for exactly what i am looking for, a 2" drop spindle for drum brakes ( big suprise they are not available fro 6 months). I am going to have our CNC guy build a brake adapter simular to the Bare adapter to use Willwood 4 piston calipers and 13" C4 rotors. Then i will sell all of you the adapter!!! As for the bump stear the stearing arm mounts are in the factory location just the spindle and upper wheel cly mount are moved up.

David Pozzi
12-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Fatman has a drop spindle with bolt on steering arms like stock. Heidt has them too.

Drop spindles cause the tie rod ends to hit the sidewall of the tire, since the tie rod ends will be 2" lower than they were relative to the wheel.
Drop spindles are the wrong way to go on a First Gen Camaro unless you will use skinny tires.

MarkM66
12-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I believe the only difference between a drum spindle and a disc spindle is how far the upper mounting boss sticks out. Drum sticks out further then disc. So if you bought a drop spindle for a disc set up, you'd just have to ad a spacer to put your drum brakes on it.

If you want it lower, cutting your springs is fine too.

Ackattack
12-22-2005, 07:36 AM
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that shorter springs on the 1st gens actually improve the suspension geometry. That's the way I'd go for lowering.

killer69
12-22-2005, 08:21 AM
I have a really hard time looking at the control arms with the car at ride height and the lower arm is 1.5" from the spring pocket on the frame and the upper arm is on a 30 deg upward angle. my assumption would be to use a drop spindle ( Fat mans is taller also so it really only slightly improves the upper arm issue) to gain more compression distance in the lower arm ( also increasing room for the QA1 shock and spring ( the other option i thought of was to lower the spring cup in the lower Speedtech arm) i admit im a little lax on the finite pionts of the suspension geometry but when i look at the side loading of the ball joints and the lack of suspension travel ??? the drop spindle is the best solution that i see............ the car is not even sitting extremely low the measurement to the bottom of the sub frame is 4.75" and 6.5" to the bottom of the pinch seam. to me that is not very low at all.

I talked to Todd from SpeedTech and asked why the arms are manufactured to basicly the same specs as factory ( except for some improvements in caster and camber swing?) why are they not made to address the lower ride height as i would assume that 99% of people who would buy a set of arms are not going to keep the car at stock ride
height............................................ ... am i correct or am i out to lunch when i ask a ? like this?????
So with all the peices that are being used in the front susp.
speedtech arms
qa1's
unisteer rack
fatman spindles
hotchkis swaybar
C4 13" rotors with Willwood 4 piston calipers.
i HOPE all these things work together as well as all the manufactures claim they work on their own.

If any one has any more info that could shead some more light bring it on

Travis B
12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
In my experience......do get the lower control back to where it needs to be.....close level with a low ride height you need some sort of drop spindle! is the 4.75 the desired ride height...or would you like it to be lower?

CAMAROBOY69
12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
I say cut the springs. Free and very effective. I will recommend cutting front springs the rest of my life. I dont regret it at all and its always my first suggestion to lower the front. Those that have seen my car in action and seen the videos realize how effective it is.

killer69
12-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Travis
The 4.74 to the sub fram would be a good ride height as the 19" rim is right at the fender lip, the whole tire 245/30/19 is inside the fender and imo there is no other way it should be also the 335/30/20 in the rear is exactly the same the rim is right at the fender lip.
Camaroboy i do some what agree with you about cutting the coils...i have cut many with no ill effects but we are using the QA1 coil over set up so that wont be required... the real issue is the suspension geometry and lack of compression distance and ball joint side loading....
anyway i bought the Fatman spindles... i think this will solve 70% of the issues.

I still do not understand why someone like DSE dont design a set of arms for lowered cars???? is this an unreasonable idea?