PDA

View Full Version : Rust Remover

rob07002
12-20-2005, 08:58 AM
I've done a search on the internet, but came up with the phone book all claiming their product is the "BEST". Anyone have practical experience with a rust removal product. I need to spuce up a Ford 9"....

73z-6sp
12-20-2005, 10:26 AM
You know, I used the Dupont products. 5717 and 5718 and they worked pretty good on surface rust. It may take a while to completely remove it all if it is pitted very badly along with some wire brushing but it worked better than the stuff I bought from Eastwood. That stuff didnt touch rust! Maybe if the part can be submerged in the EW product it would have worked better but...

Good luck!

Tom Welch
12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
muratic acid

67bird
12-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I used a product called Safest Rust remover that I bought from their website. I bought five gallons and was really impressed with it. When I ordered it they gave me a guarantee that if I wasn't happy to return it for a refund. As a test I took a set of the fender reinforcements on my Firebird (the ones on top of the radiator support that have the truss head screws that always break) and soaked them in there. Days earlier I tried to remove them with a propane torch, vise grips, and PB blaster with no success. I soaked them in this stuff for eight hours and they came out by hand. Also the stuff is very enviromently freindly. Really depends on how much carbon you have floating around in it when your finished. Also, it doesn't evaporate, eat rubber seals or gaskets. I think on there website they dunk a carb in it to free up the throttle plates. I highly recommend that you check it out.

rob07002
12-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Well since its a big part, I don't think dunking is an option. Does it work as well if you just apply it with a brush or something... Also do you have a website for these guys..

hotroddr
12-21-2005, 09:16 AM
what about POR 15 or Rust Mort or SEM Rust Seal #39308. The latter 2 are the ones I have the most experience with. Rust seal turns rust into a black seal that doesnt have to be painted, the rust mort requires multiple applications and needs to be painted pretty soon to keep from rusting again.
I got this stuff at a local paint shop, but I have seen it at other places.

Or you could always use coca cola

67bird
12-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Take a look at this link:

http://www.safestrustremover.com/

Check out how they did a nine inch on the car!

This product works just as good as the pictures show it.

ProdigyCustoms
12-21-2005, 06:26 PM
best rust remover, a sandblaster!

rob07002
12-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Take a look at this link:

http://www.safestrustremover.com/

Check out how they did a nine inch on the car!

This product works just as good as the pictures show it.

I saw that site, even watched the slide show.... I might give it a shot....

Thanks Guys

vanzuuk1
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Frank I agree a sandblaster is the best method but what is your opinion of por 15 and its competitors?

If I take off my rear window trim I have the dreaded rust spot in the corners, its not easy to sandblast on a painted car but I want to do something to get it under control. Any ideas?

I hate to crawl around my car to much, there is no rot anywhere but there is surface rust on some areas that the factory doesnt hit with paint. It really freaks me out, all those hidden panels that hold moisture.

Rick Dorion
12-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Sometimes sandblasting isn't an option. I've used POR15 and Rust Bullet with good results. 5 years ago I sprayed Eastwood Rust Encapsulator into some areas of my kickpanel area and it's been great.

rob07002
12-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I bought that safestrustremover.com stuff yesterday, so I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

vanzuuk1
12-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks Rick.

bretcopsey
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Any update on that safestrust remover stuff?

hotroddr
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I finally got my pictures on the computer of my little rust project. My front turn signal housings for my 68 firebird were getting a little tired so I took them out and they were covered in rust. I hit them with a wire brush to take off all the loose rust and dirt,
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Then I put on a coat of rust sealer with a paint brush, waited 15 minutes then repeated. The rust all turned into a black hard rust proof coating like this.

Here is the product that I used, it was available on the shelf of an automotive paint store near me. I would recommend it for applications where you cant get all the rust off, or where its not worth the time to do so. It is not really cheap($25) for the bigger bottle, but it goes a long ways.

rob07002
01-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I haven't tried the stuff yet since the rear I was going to use is not going to work... I'm sure I'll be de-rusting some other stuff in the near future and post the results...