PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions on Firewall and taillight housing repair.

lbsurfer11
03-22-2020, 03:57 PM
First question. Had some pitting in an area of rust that I sanded with a wire brush. Is this typically addressed with a skim coat/body filler or does this actually get welded similar to replacing panels on larger areas? This is a very large picture of a very small area.

Second Question - the area around the Master cylinder appears thin compared to other areas and has some flex. Is this typical and should it be replaced or reinforced.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dhutton
03-24-2020, 04:30 AM
First one I would spot blast and coat with epoxy followed by filler if you don’t want to cut it out.

Second one the pedal assembly adds the needed stiffness imho.

As an added note, wire brushed surfaces are burnished and suffer from poor paint adhesion. Rough them up with 80 grit.

Don

lbsurfer11
03-24-2020, 11:32 AM
First one I would spot blast and coat with epoxy followed by filler if you don’t want to cut it out.

Second one the pedal assembly adds the needed stiffness imho.

As an added note, wire brushed surfaces are burnished and suffer from poor paint adhesion. Rough them up with 80 grit.

Don

Don thanks for the info and for the great suggestion on the 80 grit. Will make sure to employ that process with the 80 grit before painting.