PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Drop Height Body Mounts

kidreynolds
09-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Has anyone used the 1/2" Drop Height Body Mounts from DS just wondering if they ran into any problems. I am going to purchase new Body Mounts and it looks like a good idea or should I just get the stock hieght

Thanks

68ls1
09-23-2004, 10:25 AM
I was advised against it when I bought my solid mounts. I believe you would have to do some front fender re-alignment as the 1/2 inch drop would be experienced by the rad core support (front mounting location for the fender) and not the firewall or on the lower rear mounting bolt for the fender. As a result the door gaps would be affected. I may be in left field but I believe this to be the case. It would be fixable with panel shims but this could be a tedious affair. And is 1/2 inch worth it?

Chill, Noel.

HOT OHC
09-23-2004, 11:16 AM
I just installed my DSE 1/2" drop set. Now I actually went UP a 1/2" from my Herb Adams 1" drop set which I had on since the mid 80's. I have a 67' Firebird and ran into a small snag with the DSE set. For some reason the diameter of the hole in my radiator support is smaller than the DSE 'male' body mount. Now my guess this is a 6 cly Firebird thing. Other than that the body mounts are top notch quality and fit great. I had my body dropped an 1" and only had problems with the crossmember removal. Now that I am up 1/2" I see no real clearance or geometry problems.

As a result the door gaps would be affected. I may be in left field but I believe this to be the case. Yes you are, the lowering has no effect on the door gaps.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-23-2004, 11:59 AM
One thing to consider. If you're planning on running a T56, you will almost definitely have to cut the tunnel, and raise it, in order to fit the tranny. Anthony Rose did this on his Camaro.

derekf
09-23-2004, 05:08 PM
The 1/2" drop bushings replace all the body bushings, so both the firewall and the rad support is lowered the same amount.

Like Ralph was saying, it drops the body 1/2" without changing where the suspension/drivetrain is... which is great, unless clearances were tight, like with a T56 or a tall air cleaner.

It really depends on what you're wanting for your car and where your clearances need to be.

awr68
09-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I used the DSE lowerng mounts and will never do it again...next time I will buy their stock height. The main reasons is that, as Ralph stated, I had to raise the trans tunnel to fit the T56, also I couldn't get the stock trans x-member out with out jacking one side of the body off the frame...which would be impossible if I had already welded my SFCs to the SF! Tyler's 3 piece x-member will fix all my problems...thanks T!! :)

68ls1
09-24-2004, 12:51 AM
My bad.

Noel

Joe_Rocket
09-24-2004, 03:06 PM
I've been running the Herb Admas 1" body drop aluminum body mounts and the 1 inch drop HO suspension springs for over 10 years. (Does HO still exist?) I've never had any problems, though I don't go pulling my tranny out very often. I was more concerned with my headers dragging the speed bumps which is why the body drop. ( And still they drag just getting in the hump of my driveway )

Anyhow, to give you a different perspective...

Recently, I was given a FREE set of 95 Z28 wheels off my buddies car. (Thanks, Rob!) I test fitted the fronts with a 1.25 inch adapter and noted that I'd have to limit the up travel by about 1/2 inch if I want to retain the stock fenderwells.

So, I'll probably change the body mounts to something else, to allow full suspension travel.