PDA

View Full Version : In a pickle, What should I do with my car??? HELP

Barry
12-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Alright, so I can imagine a lot of you have either been a part of this same story at one time or have heard it before. I have been forced to move out of my old house and will be stuck in an apartment for... I don't know how long. I have a 1969 Camaro that I have poured hours upon hours, as many of you can relate, into my car. Attached are photos of its current status, a bare shell, but I do have all the parts, I have several hours of fabrication to finish, and long road ahead for the car.

I'm asking what I should do; sell it for whatever I can get and buy another one later? find someone to finish it for me? (any estimates on costs?) put it in storage till I can get back in a house and am able to work on it once again. My current storage unit is $121/Mo.

Help me make a decision....

MrQuick
12-16-2005, 11:51 PM
you could find a guy thats local to sell the car to, then buy it back later down the road. But you might have to reimburse that person for work that has been done. Or send the car to that person to work on and get it back in a few years. Just an idea?? :naughty: $120 a month isn't too bad?

OHCbird
12-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Don't sell it if the $ isn't an issue; you won't be able to get back into clean project vehicles unless you spend 5X as much. If you're looking for someone to finish it, or work stages of it, contact Sal Perez at American Musclecars:

AMC (http://www.americanmusclecars.net/contact.htm)

I know some might not like the Overhaulin thing, but Sal does good work, and has been building 67-69 Camaros since the 80's. Tell him Jeff H the Navy guy sent ya...

Sue
12-17-2005, 01:44 AM
hey man, i'm just up the road from you in Rocklin and I'm in that exact position now, except i have more time.

I decided to pour as much money and time into that i could afford in efforts to make it a daily driver again. I've got 6 weeks to do it.
OHCbird is right, if you can afford it, keep it! you won't be able to get it back, or any other, with out paying a lot more.

I'm sure you can track down somebody that does good work and has a day job. A guy helped me out a little while back that was hired by an old lady to restore her 57 corvette, he did it slowly over a long period of time and resently gave the car back to her. something like that might work out for you. just a thought. good luck

ProdigyCustoms
12-17-2005, 03:51 AM
It's only $1500 a year, and as years pass I can assure it will only get harder to find projects. Assuming of coarse you still want a project? It is really a matter of are you really going to finish it. If the reality is no, sell it now, no sense pumping money into storage and dickin around with moving it. If you are sure you will finsh it, it's a no brainer. It will be hard to replace.

Johnny Blaze
12-17-2005, 06:50 AM
MAn thats a bummer. No firends or family with a spot to store it, maybe for a discounted rate? If you can afford the storage, hang on to it, as others have said, it will only get harder to replace as time goes by. I am thinking about grabbing up any nice project car I can now, so when time comes, I will have it already. I know as the years go by they will be harder top find and much more expensive.

dropit69
12-17-2005, 06:52 AM
wow storage in ca is expensive.,,,,can rent a car stall around my area for 50-60 a month..id keep it if it wasnt an issue too..i keep mine while i was going thru that but i got to stay in my house though..good luck!!

toxicz28
12-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Keep it in storage!

baz67
12-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Storage is the only answer if you want a good project in the future. You know what you have now. Later?????

Ummgawa
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Keep it man, if you sell it now, the buyer will lowball due to the condition of the project. Then you will have to spend big bucks to replace it.

Steve Chryssos
12-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Pennies on the dollar are all you can expect with a quick sale in mind. Better to spend your time and energy by sourcing out proper storage.

And If storage is $120/mo. while a working shop space is $200/mo., you know what to do!!

Bill68fbrd
12-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Keep it store it & do it yourself. You WILL KICK YOURSELF if you sell it.
THAT IS IF YOU INTEND TO COMPLETE IT.

Bill

Barry
12-18-2005, 12:21 AM
I have every intention on finishing the car.. just simply don't have the means to do it at this time. I have DSE upper and lower control arms, hotchkis lowering springs, painless wiring (heard some bad things but I'm very good in the wiring dept.), ididit steering column, and some other new parts. I need to work on some metal fab techniques to finish the dash how I want, or seek an alternative like fiberglass. There is a lot of work still, but if I sell it I will never forget the hours I have put into it.

trapin
12-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Barry, these cars are getting harder and harder to find every day. Especially the '69s. By the time you get back in a house the prices of these cars (even in the condition of yours right now) might be through the roof and your going to kick yourself for not keeping the car that you had. $120 is not bad. Make a sacrifice so you can afford that monthly payment if it's hurting you.

Keep it. You'll be glad you did in the end.

ACEFOOTER
12-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Check for cheaper storage North (yuba city/Marysville) or South (Stockton ect). Keep it if you are happy with what you have and what you have done so far. Good cars are very hard to come buy!

Nicks67GTO
12-19-2005, 04:54 PM
wow storage in ca is expensive.,,,,can rent a car stall around my area for 50-60 a month..id keep it if it wasnt an issue too..i keep mine while i was going thru that but i got to stay in my house though..good luck!!

OUCH 120 dollars??? 60 dollars??? I store mine in the winter at a storage place for 30 bucks a month!
Dont sell it, youll regret it. Everyone who has ever sold a project when they didnt want to does. Ive heard the same sad damn song from too many guys......

67LS1T56
12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Keep the car. You can effort the storage fee bec. You would be buying parts for it anyway :)

6'9"Witha69
12-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I have gone 10 months without "working" on my car. Unless you count charging the battery and running it in the driveway til it ran out of gas. Don't sell. Regretable is a nice word for it. Ever met those guys at car shows who say " I had one of these once, never shoulda sold it . . .". I think we all have. I know only half are telling the truth, but still. DO NOT BECOME LIKE THEM!!

Unless you have no other option. Sometimes the almighty $$ rules.

ViperBlue68
12-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Barry if your gonna sell it what are u gonna ask for it? also what other parts do u have? Im not too far from ya.

indyjps
12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
in you know you wont have time to work on it, store it far from home @ a cheaper rate. fog the thing in primer and stick it in storage, a couple of hours away and you may be able to find $60 a month storage.

DeepBlue68
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Don't get rid of it! I bet you'd be amazed if you tracked all of your monthly expenses where you'd be able to come up with an extra $100 a month pretty easily by cutting unnecessary spending. Or you could sell a piece of the car (tranny, aftermarket parts, etc - something that bolts in and wouldn't be hard to get another one of) and use the money for a storage fund for the next year or so. Just a thought

Nine Ball
12-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Take that $120 and put it towards an apartment with a garage. I built my red '69 in a attached 1-car apartment garage, it was small but I got it finished.