PDA

View Full Version : Front Steer Discussion

Ackattack
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
What would it take to convert to a front steer system on a 1st gen camaro? By converting to front steer, would this allow you to install an LS1 without having to modify the oil pan? By doing this, it may also allow additional header clearance, I don't know.

I was thinking that you could swap the spindles from one side to the other. The you'd have to come up with the proper steering linkage/gear box (or rack) to get it to work.

Would there be any problems with doing this (as far as suspension geometry, steering, etc)

I don't know if this has ever been tried before, but I thought of the idea and wanted to put it out there for discussion.

6'9"Witha69
12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
First gen spindles are the same left and right. The steering arms bolt up to them.

Ackattack
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
First gen spindles are the same left and right. The steering arms bolt up to them.

Oh, didn't realize that, then what about just switching the steering arms?

baz67
12-16-2005, 01:53 PM
There will be some clearance issues with the subframe crossmember and front sta-bar. You will need to workout bumpsteer. I feel if it was easy it would have been done long ago.

Ackattack
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
I feel if it was easy it would have been done long ago.

that's what I thought, or at least with the advent of LS1s being swapped into 1st gens.

are the nova's that share the same basic suspension with the camaros, are they rear steer too.

Ackattack
12-16-2005, 05:16 PM
oh, just found that the Nova's are rear steer too

David Pozzi
12-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Nova and it's cousins use the same subframe as early Camaro and Firebird.
Year-One did a first gen LS1 swap and converted the sub to a rack and pinion front steer. The anti-roll bar was relocated to under the crossmember. I think they have pics of it on their website.

There are some front steer cars that share the Camaro spindle, like Chevelle and Monte-Carlo. That steering arm is higher and would be a good start toward a conversion. Also, a second gen subframe will fit with a fiew mods. There was a thread on that reciently on Team Camaro.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68361&highlight=gen+subframe

David

soultron
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Every thread I find with info I want is older than dirt.

NightDiver
09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Every thread I find with info I want is older than dirt.

Well considering the car in question is 40+ years old, does it really matter if info youre looking for is 10 or less?

MIKE67
09-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Just switching the camaro steering arms will screw-up the Ackermann. Using front steer arms per David above is a good starting point, but if the wheelbase is different the ackerman will still be off. I am not an expert on Ackermann, just when you think you might understand it, you read something new. Milliken's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics will help you understand it, but not tell you exactlly how much you should have.

MonzaRacer
09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I thought one of the companies building subframes did the front steer swap. also didnt one company put a rack system together for F bodies that moved it up front?

soultron
09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Well considering the car in question is 40+ years old, does it really matter if info youre looking for is 10 or less?

Well, I guess also the info isn't complete. I've been reading that the 75 and up Xbody subframe will bolt up to a 1st gen, but the frame horns are different.
I have not found much to confirm this. People also say the 2nd gen subframe can be altered, but the Xbody has all the same advantages already; front steer, better geometry and brakes. I might attempt to get my hands on the parts, but that might take a while.