PDA

View Full Version : Billet Hood Hinges

TEDDYS CAMARO
12-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I just talked to Jim at Ring Brothers, and I asked him if he had Billet hood hinges for 2nd gen Camaros. He said he has them for 64-70 Mustangs, 67-69 Camaros, and Chevelles. I am going to send him a hood hinge from a 2nd gen. Camaro, and he said it would probablly take 2-3 months to design and make. Maybe we could get a group purchase price. Any thoughts??

formula
12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I AM 100% IN.

presuming they'll work for birds too...i would hope they will. If chevy was crazy enough to manufacture different hood hinges for the same basic car, then no wonder they're in such trouble now!

ViperBlue68
12-15-2005, 01:28 PM
how much for the 68 Camaro ones???

importkiller69ss
12-15-2005, 01:38 PM
is there a web site to look at the hinges for the first gens

TEDDYS CAMARO
12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
The website is under consruction.

Rybar
12-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I might be interested in a pair for a '69 depending on the price.

Damn True
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
There was a thread about these over on Lat-G.

You guys are gonna choke when you see the price.

Those dudes need to step away from the bong.

formula
12-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Edit: just found the lat-G thread...looks like i am 100% out if they really try to sell them at that price point.

what ever theyre smokin aint no normal stuff.

colt zantop
12-15-2005, 11:36 PM
whats the price for first gens...??? im curious......

BMF Machine
12-16-2005, 05:55 AM
I just heard the price. 800 for a set of machined Hood Hinges is a good buy. And it would definetly impress me! Some engines look so good, it only makes since to go a little further.

Kevin

TEDDYS CAMARO
12-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Roughly $800.00. But Maybe We Could Get A Group Purchase. Unless Someone Else Is Making Them. They Said It Would Take 2-3 Months.

Travis B
12-16-2005, 07:53 AM
sorry guys I think they are well worth the money! In fact I guess if you think you can make them cheaper then more power to ya.

steemin
12-16-2005, 07:55 AM
My builder G Force Design Concepts (Datsbad on this board) just received a set for their 67 Fastback project and they look awesome
Datsbad talked me into buying a set for "Quicksilver" my 65 Fastback.
I was told that they would be $800.
I agree that is a bunch of money for hood hinges.
But they are extremely cool.
They are a perfect fit IMO on my car and they will finish off my engine compartment nicely.
Sometimes it is nice to be able to do things that are not "practical"
Besides my Mr.T starter set is complete
so I don't need any more Gold Ropes.
Scott

TEDDYS CAMARO
12-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Did They Have Them In Stock Or Did You Have To Wait For Them To Make The Hinges?

Damn True
12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
$800 HOOD HINGES?!?!?!

Worth the money? Uh.....how so?

D & R sells repops for $37.50. You can get chrome repops for about double that.

IMO, there are a lot more important places on a car to spend $760. That is unless you just enjoy telling people, "Yup, I paid $800 for those billet hood hinges." LOL!

Travis B
12-16-2005, 09:29 AM
$800 HOOD HINGES?!?!?!

Worth the money? Uh.....how so?

D & R sells repops for $37.50. You can get chrome repops for about double that.

IMO, there are a lot more important places on a car to spend $760. That is unless you just enjoy telling people, "Yup, I paid $800 for those billet hood hinges." LOL!

OK so lets say you build a a 69 camaro since thats what everyone here seems to love you spend 60k in parts, you have a engine compartment that is unlike any other camaro......would you rather have 40 dollar ugly stamped hinges or nice billet ones! To each is own I guess. But when figure the time and money spent to design, fabricate, market and assemble a product as nice as that...then there you have $800 if you don't want them fine don't buy'em but don't come on here and say "there smokin crack" "800 for hinges thats insane" just keep your mouth shut and go on! leave the 800 dollar hinges for someone else :bananna2:

Damn True
12-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Keep my mouth shut? I think not. Formula and viperblue asked for information/opinion. They got it.

I s'pose its a value system thing. Clearly I value stuff in which form follows function. You see things in a profoundly different light.

...and eight bones for something that does the same thing as something that costs $40 seems silly to me. That is my opinion. I am just as entitled to have it, and voice it as you are with yours.
I'll thank you to never, ever tell me to keep my mouth shut again.

Travis B
12-16-2005, 09:53 AM
I guess I missed the part where they asked if the hinges were worth $800. I just see people asking how much...and then I see people saying "oh those aren't worth that"

And your right you have your opinion I have mine and the ring brothers have theres......not really a big deal to me just the internet!

68fusion
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Well I am glad that not everybody likes the same things....or else everybody would have a 69 camaro with Z stripes and TTII's ....oh wait that is reality!
joke - laugh - hahaha- nudge - nudge :hah:

datsbad
12-17-2005, 07:49 PM
You guys that cant afford them or think there silly just dont respond , you have nothing to prove and we that do buy them dont care what you think !

I bought 3 sets . Damn I am so stupid !

As for you guys thinking your gonna call up the ring brothers and get a set for your 69 camaro are wrong . Aint gonna happen , TRUST ME !

I bet $800 hood hinges on Bob Johnson cuda would seem very cheap . Probably the cheapest thing on there if that was the case! But wait a set of stockers would have saved him some money and he could have got a carbon fiber set of license plate bolts.

AS for TEDDY I hope you get your hinges , you would like them !

paulk68
12-17-2005, 07:55 PM
to each is there own. but it seems like a lot of pro-touring cars are turning into pro-showing cars. with people spending 800 dollars for hood hinges.

datsbad
12-17-2005, 07:59 PM
You are right in some ways , But they can be both ! :icon996:

LETS NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO THAT , DAMN NOT AGAIN PLEASE !!! :getout:

MrQuick
12-17-2005, 08:03 PM
i wanted to get into this before the powers that be shut it down....

I bet $800 hood hinges on Bob Johnson cuda would seem very cheap sad thing is, I didn't see them on the car??? I not being a deek. Just that you can't, I was there...

to each is there own. but it seems like a lot of pro-touring cars are turning into pro-showing cars. with people spending 800 dollars for hood hinges hey I just spent $2700 on an FI set up for a small block...$800 for some shine aint nothin...to each his own you said. Lets spend our money the way we want. No likeiee no buyee

1970cuda
12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
can i here a "h@ll yah"

Bill Howell
12-18-2005, 07:09 AM
No pissing contests over hinges please. Vince is right, everyone spends money on what is important to them and as their budget allows. The reason these parts are $800 is because at least some think they are worth it. Supply and demand always control price-ALWAYS!
Did I spend too much on my car, probably. Where then would I cut if I did it again, no where really, probably spend more.
No two people here are in the same place in life. Trust me, I have raised two girls, so I know how expensive it can be to raise a family, buy house, regular cars, etc,etc, etc. If you are there, that is cool and your toy(car) should take a back seat right now. However, once you get to the empty nest stage of your life, there will be extra money for whatever the new $800 part is at that time. Then you will be defending your purchases-lol
Lighten up guys, it is just the internet. :cheers:

Buy the way, I am sure Bob Johnson spent that much on the two custom props that hold the hood up, they were beautiful. Then again, the whole car is so out of my league that all I could do is just stand there at SEMA and stare. The details there are amazing and I am sure there were many that after two days of study I missed.

parsonsj
12-18-2005, 07:13 AM
So far, so good, and let's keep it that way. Paint and Body is the place to talk about show car parts, so carry on. Remember, we tolerate (as long as it's civil) legitimate criticism. When you post up "check this out", be prepared for some to let you know they don't like it.

jp

68protouring454
12-18-2005, 07:14 AM
paint and body is not the place to talk about hot rod parts, its to talk about body and paint, not some 800 dollar hood hinges.
hey do they reduce sprung weight??? maybe this could go into suspension forum too???

mini69
12-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Who is selling them and where can i get me a set:cool:

parsonsj
12-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Hood hinges are considered a body part, and any weight reduction would reduce sprung weight.

This is the correct forum. Remember this thread was started in Open Discussion and was moved to Paint and Body by the mods.

jp

datsbad
12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
i wanted to get into this before the powers that be shut it down....

sad thing is, I didn't see them on the car??? I not being a deek. Just that you can't, I was there...

I meant if they were on the car no one would say "damn he paid to much for those hinges "

datsbad
12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Who is selling them and where can i get me a set:cool:

YOU CANT GET THEM !!! :fingersx:

Steve1968LS2
12-18-2005, 09:23 AM
paint and body is not the place to talk about hot rod parts, its to talk about body and paint, not some 800 dollar hood hinges.
hey do they reduce unsprung weight??? maybe this could go into suspension forum too???

Well, what forum woiuld you suggest? It is body related and fits here as well as anywhere.

Here is my take.. they perform the same function as regular hinges. They don't hurt performance and if you want to spend a few $$$ to make your car look better without sacraficing function then more power to you.

If you carry the argument forward that these are stupid cause their only job is look pretty then we should all be driving primered cars with rattle canned engine bays. After all, anything that does not affect performance falls into the "show" catagory wether you want to admit it or not. After that it's just a matter of degree.

I think every member of this board wants their car to look nice and not be a ugly POS so we all do "appearance mods" to some degree. These hinges would look great on my car since I am going for a brushed aluminum and low bling look. Just don't know if can swing the $$$, but for those that can I say "go for it" :)

Steve1968LS2
12-18-2005, 09:26 AM
So far, so good, and let's keep it that way. Paint and Body is the place to talk about show car parts, so carry on. Remember, we tolerate (as long as it's civil) legitimate criticism. When you post up "check this out", be prepared for some to let you know they don't like it.

jp

What's funny is that most people don't like them only due to cost.. which is a relative argument.

Alan Johnson
12-18-2005, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=MrQuick]i wanted to get into this before the powers that be shut it down....

sad thing is, I didn't see them on the car??? I not being a deek. Just that you can't, I was there...

Here's a photo of the hood hinges on Bob Johnson's Cuda $2.95 a piece for shoulder bolts.

MrQuick
12-18-2005, 12:46 PM
sorry I was being sarcastic...sometimes its hard to tell. I thought Datsbad would notice. ; )

Are those Dodge units? ie: Stratus or Intrepid? Hard to tell cause I really didn't see them. LOL beaut job BTW

Steve1968LS2
12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
to each is there own. but it seems like a lot of pro-touring cars are turning into pro-showing cars. with people spending 800 dollars for hood hinges.

People spend what they can afford.. If you have $20k into paint and $4k into wheels then $800 for custom hinges is not a big deal.

A rich guy buys a Rolex watch.. due to how much money he has it's like you or I buying a Seiko. Always try to remember that cost is a relative issue and PT like life encompasses a wide variety of styles and budgets.

rocketrod
12-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Is there a point to this thread anymore?

Steve1968LS2
12-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Is there a point to this thread anymore?

If you find one let me know.. lol

1970cuda
12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
the point is that if someone wants to spend x number of dollars on some part for their car, they can because it is their money and their car and they are the only one that should matter to. i know that to some of you sending money on a mopar or a ford would seem stupid but that is what i want to do and that makes me happy.............................
off the soap box for now
later

parsonsj
12-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I think we've had enough.

jp