PDA

View Full Version : Turning engine over by hand question

jasonz28camaro
08-15-2019, 01:48 PM
I have this concern floating around in the back of my mind about my L86 motor. I inspected the valve train and bottom end to the best of my abilities while I had the valve covers and oil pan off. When I go to turn the motor over by hand with a ratchet wrench there is one area in each revolution that is a little easier to turn than the rest of the turns. This was done with the plugs out and on a motor stand by the way. I'm getting closer to starting the motor for the first time and I wanted to get some thoughts on this. I personally just thought it was the DOD lifters and nothing major because the motor only has 3500 miles and had no know issues prior to being pulled out for my swap. Would the DOD lifters make it feel a little strange/easier to turn the motor by hand if they have no oil pressure going to them?

badazz81z28
08-26-2019, 07:32 AM
I have this concern floating around in the back of my mind about my L86 motor. I inspected the valve train and bottom end to the best of my abilities while I had the valve covers and oil pan off. When I go to turn the motor over by hand with a ratchet wrench there is one area in each revolution that is a little easier to turn than the rest of the turns. This was done with the plugs out and on a motor stand by the way. I'm getting closer to starting the motor for the first time and I wanted to get some thoughts on this. I personally just thought it was the DOD lifters and nothing major because the motor only has 3500 miles and had no know issues prior to being pulled out for my swap. Would the DOD lifters make it feel a little strange/easier to turn the motor by hand if they have no oil pressure going to them?

So the engine is a little tough to turn over, but one little spot is easier? Did it run fine before you pulled it? Personally, if you have no reason to suspect something is wrong I don't see why you would be worried. Now if it was the opposite, really easy to turn and one spot was hard I would suspect like a bent valve. As the engine is building compression it will be a little tough to rotate (easier without plugs), but when valves open you could get a gust of easier to turn.

jasonz28camaro
08-26-2019, 07:41 AM
I purchased the motor used and was told it ran fine, service records and ****** did not show any issues motor related. The area I'm not familiar with is the DOD lifters and wondered if anyone had experience with these and if this was what I'm noticing, maybe the lifter is not functioning due to lack of oil pressure.

I think I'll go ahead and proceed to get it lined up to be started soon and go from there.

chuckd71
08-28-2019, 02:39 PM
If you are concerned about a DoD lifter - and they are apparently known to be trash - I'd take this opportunity to pop the heads off and replace them. ~$180 for lifters, gaskets and bolts plus a pretty short period of time in the garage = $$$ worth of peace of mind. Just a thought. I'd think a lack of oil pressure would make the lifter easier to collapse, but I don't know. Mine are in a bucket with the old pushrods and springs waiting to be welded into "art" (junk).

jasonz28camaro
08-28-2019, 02:59 PM
I hear Ya. If i tear apart the motor I’ll be doing a cam at a minimum but would like to do heads too. I plan on changing lifters and take if off the heads one time but don’t have the funds at the moment.