PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension design suggestions

fastbirds
12-12-2005, 01:11 PM
i have a 69 firebird i mini tubbed it and built a moser 12 bolt for i will be putting in 800 hp ls7 motor. im looking for suggestions on a rear susp.setup that i could have someone help me design i can do the fabrication i have a restoration shop. i will be road racing and drag racing the car i am thinking probably some type of 5 link setup.any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks ed

Steve1968LS2
12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
5 link?

Do you mean a 4 link with a PHR?

It's a couple months away but there will be a PHR story in the April issue about the seven main types of rear suspensions which are:

Parallel 4-link
Triangulated 4-link
3-link
Truckarm
Torque arm
IRS
Leaf Spring

Main differences are in cost and how much work they are to install. Do you mind a lot of fab work or are you looking for a bolt in deal?

Travis B
12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
just a couple that come to mind are the DSE 4 link and the lateral dynamics 3 link

fastbirds
12-12-2005, 01:59 PM
im looking for something maybe like the dse quadra link but i want to fabricate my own from scratch.looking for ideas on setup.im not worried about back seat area so upper arms could be longer longer than the dse if it would be better.any design ideas or contact person would be great.

Steve1968LS2
12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
It's really REALLY had to design and fab your own rear suspension unless you're a mechanical engineer with a lot of skill. Sure, you could make something that works but it takes a lot of develpment to fab us a primo system.

Since you have a 1st gen fbody it would make more sense to go with something that has already been designed well like the Lateral Dynamics three-link, DSE four link or some other system engineered for 1st gens.

Sure, the system will cost you more on the front end but "time is money" and this would save you a TON of time trying to design your own system with the right geometry.. unless of course you have a lot of suspension theory knowledge.

It would seem that what you are looking for are geometry suggestions for designing your own system. right?

If so then there are certainly smarter people on this board that should be able to help you out.

sinned
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Look at a Satchell Link, fairly esay to design and install. Good design for compromise to packaging issues.

baz67
12-12-2005, 05:08 PM
fastbirds,

Have a look through these theads, all pages. The answers are hidden in there. Bring a lunch as there is alot of reading. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57