PDA

View Full Version : Question about motor mounts for 67 Camaro

Rynos67
09-22-2004, 08:53 AM
First I better introduce myself. My name it Ryan. I just joined a few days ago but I've been reading the forum for a while. There is a ton of usueful information on here thanks to all of you.

I recently bought a 67 Camaro with 396. I'm wanting to make it handle better now and eventually I'll build it up to pro-touring status. First I need to get the wiring figured out though. It's a little messed up. Well anyway on to my question. I was looking and I believe I have my motor on small block motor frame mounts. It just doesn't sit right. Next I was looking at purchasing the correct ones but noticed that the 69 BB motor mounts are shorter than the 67. Would that be better for handling to have the BB sitting lower in the engine bay and 2 would those 69 BB motor mounts even work on my 67? Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Ryan

MuscleRodz
09-22-2004, 06:48 PM
If your firewall has been butchered to clear the distributer then you have small block motor mounts, I don't know about lowering it but they move the motor foward, which won't help weight distribution and handling. The 69 BB mounts will bolt right up and interchange with the 67-69 camaros. There is several ways to go about improving on the original design, ie Gulstrand mod is the cheap way, or dse, gw, st upper control arms are another. If you want to get serious about handling you will have to ditch the BB or move it way back.

Mike

Rynos67
09-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I figured the BB would have to go at some point. I might have a 4 bolt main 350 that I can get my hands on if I play it right. I'll have to stroke it though.

As for the firewall it doesn't look beat in at all so I guess I'm ok with the motor mounts then. I plan on doing the guldstrand mod with the GW upper control arm with Del-alum bushings and del-alum bushings on the lower control arm. I figured that would help alot. There is alot of useful info here. Looks like I need to keep reading. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks,
Ryan

David Pozzi
09-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Check my web page engine section, I have motor mount part numbers and some dimensions too. http://go.ourworld.nu/David_Pozzi/first_gen_suspension.htm

Motor mounts were upgraded to thicker interlocking in 69.
Aftermarket replacement mounts for your car are improved, have some interlocking.
Energy Suspension makes some interlocking polly mounts in both thick and thin types.

The BB engines all sit offset to the pass side a little.
David