PDA

View Full Version : Blow-Through D-1SC Procharger Boost/Pulley Questions...

Tim_in_NC
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get an idea of boost and pulley diameters, etc...

On my 383 with 8 to 1 compression ... and using the SD Concepts blower setup (including brackets and tensioner) ... I'm curious as to what type of boost I'll be seeing ... and then what pulleys can I swap and to what diameter, in order to achieve more boost...

What have you blow-through guys been seeing roughly (as I know boost will vary with engine ability) on the regular D-1SC pulley and then what all did you change to get even more boost...???

I'd like to hit 15 lbs. of boost...

Thanks in advance...
TIM

Blown353
12-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I would think you'll end up with an upper pulley in the 4" to 4.5" range; if it were me I'd start with a 4.5" pulley on the supercharger and go from there. I run a 4.25" pulley on my P1SCH and see just under 15psi @ 6500rpm but since the D1SC flows 200cfm more than my P1SCH and you're 30 cubes bigger than my application I think I'd start with a 4.5" pulley. Starting a little bigger is always safer.

What RPM do you plan on spinning the engine to? That makes a big difference too.

If you really want to be silly there's a 2.95" pulley on ebay right now. :attn:

Troy

ProdigyCustoms
12-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Best thing to do is have your dealer work with ProCharger. Keep in mind pulley size and boost are directly related to RPM. A 5500 RPM motor will have a smaller pulley to make 15lbs then a 7000 RPM motor. Also keep in mind ProCharger speaks in terms of HP, not boost, so you dealer will probably have to convert it for you to boost. Depending on how the original kit was specked, you can often times change pulleys one size without buying expensive belts.

camcojb
12-11-2005, 08:19 PM
My friends 406 makes 15 psi at 6500 rpms or so with a 3.85" upper. It really depends on backpressure in the system, how good the heads are, cam used, etc.

Jody

Tim_in_NC
12-12-2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks Guys...

The engine has a forged eagle crank, forged crower rods, custom CP blower pistons, a solid roller custom grind crower cam (can't remember the grind exactly but duration is in the 24X/25X range, LSA is 114 and can't recall exact lift), we went with bare alluminum ZZ4 heads which have been worked and built fairly well due to the much success my engine builder has had with them, 1.6 roller rockers, etc... and I'll be using 1 3/4" full length headers with 3" exhaust...

We want to turn this combo up to a max of 7000 rpm...

Sounds like I'll start with the stock pully and work my way down to about a high 3" pulley depending on results... We'll probably be dynoing the engine with blower prior to installing in the car to test/tune and work out any issues...

I'll post up our progress later on...

thanks again,
TIM

Tim_in_NC
12-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Guys,

With the above mentioned combo... I've been speaking to a few people that are trying to persuade me to step up to an F-1 or F-1R instead of the D-1SC in order to make 650 or so RWHP ... They feel that I'll be pushing the limits of the D-1SC and have no room for growth...

But... after I've ran the numbers and seen other setups making in excess of 700+ rwhp ... I still come back to the D-1SC...

Am I missing something???

camcojb
12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Guys,

With the above mentioned combo... I've been speaking to a few people that are trying to persuade me to step up to an F-1 or F-1R instead of the D-1SC in order to make 650 or so RWHP ... They feel that I'll be pushing the limits of the D-1SC and have no room for growth...

But... after I've ran the numbers and seen other setups making in excess of 700+ rwhp ... I still come back to the D-1SC...

Am I missing something???

Nope. My yellow car made 828 rwhp with a D1SC with a plug wire off. An F1 is just an overspun D1SC and is not the way to go. Now the F2 is a nice blower, a little larger which may cause more clearance issues. But to answer your question a D1Sc can support your 650 rwhp goal VERY easily. The 406 I built for my buddy's car made 700 rwhp with one at 14-15 psi.

Jody

speedster
12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey Tim -

The D1-SC should be fine. Look at cars like Stuart Adams '69 Camaro - 800+ RWHp or the PHR Dodge Challenger with 650 RWHP, 708 RWTQ;

The D1-SC is pretty "powerful"

-Bruce

Travis B
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey Tim -

The D1-SC should be fine. Look at cars like Stuart Adams '69 Camaro

-Bruce

that is teh same car that Jody is referring to! :fingersx:

Tim_in_NC
12-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks again guys...

D-1SC it is...and this time I mean it!

ProdigyCustoms
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks Guys...

Sounds like I'll start with the stock pully and work my way down to about a high 3" pulley depending on results... We'll probably be dynoing the engine with blower prior to installing in the car to test/tune and work out any issues...

thanks again,
TIM

I am a little confused why you will start with the "stock" pulley. There is no "stock" pulley for a ProCharger as every ProCharger is a specific per application custom order. There is no reason you should not get exactly what you need, pulley's are very expensive and it can get pricey playing with multiple pulley's.

Tim_in_NC
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Sorry...

I misspoke...

When I said stock, I was referring to the supplied pulleys which are based on my engine makup, hp goals, etc...

Again, sorry for the confusion...

-TIM