PDA

View Full Version : Replace seat pans with new or old

FJB2069
12-11-2005, 12:31 PM
IS it easier to replace seat mounting pans with new ones when replacing floor pan or to try to remove seat pan from old floor and reuse?

63SW
12-11-2005, 01:46 PM
OH , i can answer this one !
I just got done doing it 2 weeks ago on a 69 Camaro hard top.

ITS GOTTA BE EASIER BUYING NEW ONES...

but to save money , we used the originals and are happy with the outcome...

There had to be 1000 spot welds ( WELL , it seemed like it )
actually , we did both sides in 2 days so it really wasnt all that bad but on the 69 camaro , there is the floor pan , then there is a piece thats about 4 or 5 inches wide that the subframe bolts into that is SPOTWELDED to the floor and is a PAIN to get loose. Then on top is the larger SEAT PAN area so to get that off , you have to drill all the Spot welds around the outter edge, AND across the Middle piece to remove it.
Once its off , then you can drill out the hidden spotwelds removing the middle piece.

Just make reference marks so you can put the seat pan back right where it goes after the new pans are in.

GOOD LUCK
JC

shoddy_f-body
12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
I bought new ones when i put the new floor in my 68 camaro. They were rough anyway. I paid $100 for a pair.Fit good and saved a lot of time.

FJB2069
12-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info!

CAMAROBOY69
12-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Yes buy the new ones. We just did this on the 67 Mustang and they were only about $50 each. Well worth it for new metal. However I did end up reinforcing the pieces because I was anal about the strength of their spot welds from the factory. But thats just me.

z06fromhell
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
reused the old ones here. not that bad. but you guys are right on with the thousand spot welds! first time doing it here, but once you learn where they all are the second one is butter.....gene