PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket rear with high upper trailing arm mount point

psiconversion
04-02-2019, 06:24 AM
What is everyone’s opinion on the aftermarket rear ends, both the 12 bolt and 9 inch style. It seems that both types raise the mounting point for the upper arm approx an inch. This would be good for antisquat for drag racing, but not as good for pro-touring. I’m happy with my stock rear but as i add power I’m looking at going aftermarket.

cornfedbill
04-02-2019, 06:48 AM
What is everyone’s opinion on the aftermarket rear ends, both the 12 bolt and 9 inch style. It seems that both types raise the mounting point for the upper arm approx an inch. This would be good for antisquat for drag racing, but not as good for pro-touring. I’m happy with my stock rear but as i add power I’m looking at going aftermarket.

I think you are correct about the raised upper control arms. They are intended for drag racing, and may not be good for pro-touring. I would stick with stock geometry unless you foresee drag racing in your future.

psiconversion
04-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Not primarily drag racing. But the big names, moser Currie etc all seem to use raised mounting points.

D-Man
04-02-2019, 06:14 PM
I don't know about the geometry, but on a 9 inch cutting the mounts down is an easy job. Currie may even do it for you if you order direct.

CSG
04-03-2019, 04:33 AM
IIRC Strange offered one with lower ears designed to keep the geometry on a fox mustang.

UMI Tech
04-03-2019, 04:48 AM
We (UMI) use Currie rears on as many of our cars as possible. Bill Harvey above hit the nail on the head. When we order, we leave the upper brackets unwelded. Our engineer(s) plot the rear suspension geometry and usually end up trimming the mount, or fabricating our own mounts, to get the geometry correct for our road race and auto-x tendencies.

When we are building "street" only cars the Currie crate rears go right in and are perfect. For handling/competition cars we tweak them.

ramey