PDA

View Full Version : Machine time cost?

MoeBawlz
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Anyone have any estimates as to how much it would cost per hour for a machinst to run a part for me? or is it on a part by part basis? if it matters i would be giving the machinist detailed prints as well as a 3d model.

Matt@RFR
12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Since you mentioned 3D models, I'm assuming you're talking about CNC machining. Best case scenario is that the machinist can import your model directly into his CAM software and generate his program from that. Worst case is that he can't import your model, and depending on the complexity of the part, programming can be pretty time consuming.

Have your model in it's native format, but also bring with you an .IGES and a parasolid format of the model.

The average machine-time costs is about $75/hour, but it largely depends on the part, and the machinist's mood at the time.

And yes, you will get a quote on a per-part basis.

MoeBawlz
12-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I can definately provide an IGES file. The part can either be made in solid works or in unigraphics which ever is better for the machinest so i guess that might be easier on them.

Would it be possible for me to even produce the G code for it to save some time? or would the machinist themselves rather do it themselves?

Matt@RFR
12-10-2005, 10:03 PM
IGES is a universal format that is a compilation of surfaces, instead of solids, so everybody with even a sub-par CAM program should be able to use it.

Niether SolidWorks or UG can produce G-code, unfortunately. A seperate CAM program is needed, and those programs are just as much, if not more, than good CAD programs. Example: SW is $5,000 and up, MasterCam is $10,000 and up. SolidEdge is a CAM program that runs inside of SolidWorks, but I've not heard good things about it. The only plus to CAM software is you can also do solid modeling with most of them, however you usually see guys still running a seperate CAD and CAM package, which will tell you how good the solids are in most CAM programs.

Even then, no machinist/programmer will accept code from a customer for a few reasons: 1) Bad code can destroy a $175,000 machine very quickly if the operator isn't quick with the E-stop, 2) Feeds, speeds, DOC, etc are all very personal, and greatly depend on the machine's rigidity, work holding rigidity and tooling required for the job, and 3) Each different brand of CNC control uses it's own variable of G-code, so you would have to have your CAM software setup with the post processor excplicit to the machinist's specific control.

BMF Machine
12-11-2005, 03:15 AM
You guys sound really up to speed! Yes, mastercam is a 3-D software, it has an option of solid modeling. At my Day job we open customers files in solid works and save them as an .iges then we import that to mastercam to generate the toolpaths.
I like to make the .iges myself? Sometimes there are holes and other details that do not need the 3-D software. I suppress them in solidworks so my tool don't waste alot of time cutting stuff it doesn't need to. I make a seperate DXF file for the simple stuff. Featurecam is a very user friendly 2 deminsional software, it is much easier and faster to program the simple details (holes and simple steps).
Mastercam 3-D with art add on is 18,000.00 dollars, Featurecam 2 deminsional is 4200.00 Featurecam 3-D is around 15,000.00,(not heard or seen anything good about it either?)
Having said all this Frank a Prodigy Customs may know somebody that can help ya out? His machinist is very busy, but I think they all are!
Good luck with your part,

Small shops, 45-50 dollars per hour
Larger shops, 75-85
Price of hiring a good 3-D programmer for a machine shop is 20-30 per hour.
Kevin

8 most distructive words in the english vocabulary "We have never tried it that way before."

"The person rowing this boat is too busy to rock it.":smoke:

"A big mistake by you does not constitute an emergency for me."
(That is the one I tell my boss at my dayjob.)(Yea, I really don't care if I lose that job!)

MoeBawlz
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I can understand why soemone wouldnt want to use a customers G code, and it would be very easy to destroy tool after tool as well as the machine very easy.

Although in Unigraphics you can create g code. they have a manufacturing application in UG NX3 that you can create g code with, ive used it several times to create parts on our Haas here at school. It has a few default post processors but we had to create one for the Haas to run it.

If i were to have a machinist do this, would it be rude to ask to see the G code after its done? Im just curious to see the feeds and speeds of a different machine and how the different post processors are set up.

Matt@RFR
12-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I didn't know that about UG. I assume it's a seperate add-on?? If that's the case, then that's basically the same thing as SolidWorks and SolidEdge.

I don't think it would be rude at all to ask to see their code, after you explain why. It's definetely no secret how these machines work. :) And it's a couple seconds of copy/paste for the machinist, so I don't see why not.

MoeBawlz
12-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Im not quite sure if its standard or an add on and i think its new to NX3. I would presume it would be an add on though.

96Z28SS
12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Yep we use UG to machine parts and molds with. We do alot of 5 axis stuff with it.

DarylH
01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Im not quite sure if its standard or an add on and i think its new to NX3. I would presume it would be an add on though.
We just demo'd this software at work and NX3 is a module-based system i.e. you can put together a 3d solid modeling module along with a variety of CAM - 2d, 2-1/2d or 3d modules, depending on your machining needs.

They are definitely well priced for the market that they're pursuing and have some great options.