PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. Install questions???

third base
12-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Putting LED lights in my detroit dash and ran into a headache. Says i am suposed to put 1/8" holes for them but that is just the size of the bulb. how do these things attach to the dash. behind or in front of the dash??? If it is in front, how big do I need to make the holes? if in back, how do I install them to the dash? I am using a covans classic dash wiring kit and there was very litle info provided. Need to trouble shoot this before monday. Thanks for the quick help - Garrett

hotroddr
12-10-2005, 03:11 PM
I could be mistaken but they should just push through from the back. The base of LEDs should have a ring that is a bigger diameter than the body of it, which will keep it from going all the way through. It should fit tight in the hole. Some LEDs come with a plastic retainer that you put in the hole, then push the LED into. Anyone else have input?

zbugger
12-10-2005, 03:22 PM
What LED's did you get? I had some that slid in from the front side. There was a clip that slid over the back to hold it in. The LED's have a ring around them on the housing that makes the sandwich. Hope I made some sort of sense.

third base
12-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I just got what came with the covans classic dash wiring kit. Mine "looks" like it shoud push through the front side and compress in. No other retaining rings came with it?

zbugger
12-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Maybe you could test fitting it somewhere? It should work according to the directions.

third base
12-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Better Idea...this is what I am dealing with.

Bill68fbrd
12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
zbugger Maybe you could test fitting it somewhere?

Drill increasing size holes in your test pice but dont push home the correct size ( it might not come out ) you will tell witch is right. They look to go from the front. I would start with cardbord.

Bill

hotroddr
12-10-2005, 10:01 PM
I retract my suggestion...You are using a prefabbed deal. I used regular LEDs in my project and put a resistor before it...Totally different design. Bill68fbrd is right on it seems. Good luck

Bigblue73
12-13-2005, 10:15 AM
The LED's that we use are from Samtec, which are similiar to these. We use a real light coat of clear caulk to retain them in the dashes. It seems to work fine. Check with your local stereo shops, the tuner's seems to love these things.

third base
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
can they be pushed through from the front? I am planning on covering my dash with fabric.

ViperBlue68
12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Garrett
These are the same led lights on my Covans Insert I installed... they go in through the front and fit snug the fabric shouldnt be an issue as long as its not loosely covering the insert because that MIGHT pull the led outwards.

third base
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Awsome...thanks for the help. No more headache!:cheers: