PDA

View Full Version : HELP 4X4 problem!!!

bretcopsey
12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I high centered my 99 Suburban due to the snow here tonight. Anyway, I got the rear axle hung up on the pass side. I put the truck into Lo4 and managed to get out. The problem I have now is that it doesn't want to come out of Low. I have tried Hi4 Auto4 and 2 and every time the option I selected would "blink" for a while, then turn itself off. I tried switching while in park and while driving. I also tried disconnecting the battery with no success.

Obviously I have no experience with this and I don't have an owner's manual to help figure this out. Do you guys think I broke something or what?

nancejd
12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
If it's like my 2005 Silverado, it has to be in neutral to shift in and out of 4lo.

Bill Howell
12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
My truck has to be in neutral too.
Remember you will have to go to 4wd hi then 2wd

Ralph LoGrasso
12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Is this a manual or electronic transfer case?

If your '99 is the same as my '96 Tahoe (I think they are?) You don't actually have to be in neutral to shift out of 4Lo (atleast with my manual transfer case), but if the transfer case has some wear on it, it will help.

Try this, get the truck rolling in drive about 3mph or so, shift the tranny to neutral, and then try to shift the tranfer case (while the truck is still rolling) into 2wd or 4hi.

This may only work if the truck is a manual TC.

MrQuick
12-08-2005, 10:29 PM
also try to drive in reverse for at least 10 feet after pushing the 2wd button.

CAMAROBOY69
12-09-2005, 04:38 AM
If you try everything they mention above and it still doesnt work, get under your truck and make sure you didnt bend any linkages or cables. Since you bottomed out (high centered) you could have bent something. That is doubtful.
You could also try backing up a few feet after you put it in 2wd to see if the 4wd disengages just like Vince said.

bretcopsey
12-09-2005, 05:27 AM
THANKS GUYS!!

I feel dumb for asking such a simple question, but I was worried I may have broken something. I put it in neutral and made the switch, everything worked correctly.

I'm still probably going to get under it and have a look, once the snow melts! I guess I need to get on eBay and find an owners manual now...

Ralph LoGrasso
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out for ya.

MrQuick
12-09-2005, 06:00 PM
snow , whats snow? LOL

rumblee
12-10-2005, 02:56 AM
GM has had problems with the transfer case control modules as well. If its not just operator error, take it to a dealership and they should fix it under a GM service bulletin.