PDA

View Full Version : EFI Pontiac Help

Johnny Blaze
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I am considering building an EFI 400 Pontiac.

Here is what I have thought so far;

Stock block, ARP main studs
Stock crank, SRP rods, ARP Bolts,
Hyperutectic pistons, 9.5:1 compression
Edelbrock Performer Heads Ported and matched as needed by Pro
Edelbrock EFI intake, either The Victor or super victor Ported and matched as needed by pro

Throttle Body about 800 cfm. Not sure on injector size,

Cam, Unsure of I am thinking it will be a hydrulic flat tappet.

This would go in my bird, and would be backed by a TH200r4 tranny, mild lock up stall converter, and 3.42 gears.

The needs for the motor is to run good from 2000 to 5000rpm in a street driven car. Good pulling power, tourqe motor.

I have never built a pontiac motor, so I am a little unsure what to go with, all I see are Ram air repop cams.

Hammered
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Call one of the Pontiac builders like Kauffman Racing. They helped me do the long block on my EFI motor and dynoed it with me. I have a lot of details about my setup on my website.

An 800 cfm TB will be small for ported heads - you'll want at least 1000 or perhaps 1200. You should also consider port matching the intake yourself - it's pretty easy to do.

John

Johnny Blaze
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, I got a good friend that is a pro porter, and he always takes care of me on that.

Bigger TB, wow. I wouldn't thought that.

I'll look at your site for ideas!

Johnny Blaze
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Do you have an updated pic of your ride?

67bird
12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
The thing to remember is that a throttle body isn't a carb. They only time in a EFI case that size becomes a big concern is when the TB is used in a blow thru application for a supercharger. You can probably use a 1000 cfm or so with your combo. Edelbrock is coming out with an EFI kit sometime according to their website. Do a search I think there is some other posts here about EFI Pontiacs. Also, check out the Pontiaczone.com forum. There may be some people over there that can help you out. Lastly, with all the new cam technology I would think that there would be a better cam than the RA IV cam. This is a good cam, don't get me wrong. I think that you could go better with your application.

Hammered
12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
JB,

I'm hoping to pull the car out in the drive tomorrow to take some pics if the weather cooperates.

Another good Pontiac site to visit is Performance Years: http://216.178.81.108/forums/index.php? or www.performanceyears.com There is also a lot of good info on www.thirdgen.com

I tried to put enough info on my site so that someone could put one of these systems together so I hope you find it helpful. The fuel system was by far, the hardest part for me, although that had a lot to do with me wanting it to be just right. The only things I would do different is to definitely use a Holley TB instead of the Kinsler piece and to consider a different ECM than the Gen7. The Gen7 is not bad, but the documentation leaves much to be desired and there are equivalent systems costing less now. I'm not too impressed with the proposed Edelbrock system. You will have to have them burn a custom chip and then you're limited to minor tweaks from there. If you decide to change anything on your engine you need to have them burn another chip.

With ported heads on a 400 I'm guessing that you're wanting to be in the 450+ HP range. You could go with a stroker kit and put yourself over 500 HP with a good flat tappet. I made 530 HP with 29 lb/hr injectors (thought I had 44s but that's another story). I'm now running 35s and expect to be in the 550-560 HP range. There is a formula on my website to do your own calculation.

Ben is right about cams. I'm running a hydraulic roller cam that was spec'ed by Kauffman Racing: www.krepower.com

I would be glad to help you in anyway I can as I'd love to see more EFI Ponchos out there.

John

Hammered
12-11-2005, 11:20 AM
JB: I just posted an update in the Project Update section - enjoy!

Also tuned the engine a little at idle and no-load yesterday. It's pretty easy with the wide band 02. What ever system you go with, this option is worth the money.

Northern Goat
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Look at Jim Butler's site. He has a new FE kit listed under new products.