PDA

View Full Version : Arriving at work this morning

Kevin@W2W
12-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I was faced by a big bully when I approached the door leading to my desk.
Haven't seen him around in a few months but the image was quite intimidating as usual. As I walked by I felt like I would be attacked at a moments notice so I made my way quick and escaped just in time.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

A little later on as I walked out to shop to check on something I noticed a total different feeling as I approached the bully. It seems from the rear it takes more of a shape of walking up on an attractive female with that certain un spoken sexy feel some men really like.

Guess I just find a great quality in being able to be tough and look sexy at the same time and I'm probably a little bit of a dork for thinking that way but it is good to see the Mule again.:)

zbugger
12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Hmmmm.... Now I question that car's reliability. It sure is in the shop one hell of a lot.

Kevin@W2W
12-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Hmmmm.... Now I question that car's reliability. It sure is in the shop one hell of a lot.

:lol: I can assure it is not a mechanical issue ;)

derekf
12-08-2005, 11:35 AM
So what's happening to it this time? Moving to a dual turbo/supercharge setup?

formula
12-08-2005, 11:38 AM
my bet is they're making it fly, and changing the company name to "wheel to wing"

Bill Howell
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
WingedMule :lol:

67Sally
12-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Just what I was thinking too. That car must suck. :seizure:
W.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Kevin, I would not make eye contact with it again, if approaching from the front. It's just daring you to make one wrong move, I mean look at those eyes... :lmao:

datsbad
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
WHY do you guys worship this car so Damn much ? , it is cool and all but there can be better out there. No offense charlie , I like it also , but is there any 1/4 mile times? track lap times? or anything . sorry I dont follow it a lot

6'9"Witha69
12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
WHY do you guys worship this car so Damn much ? , it is cool and all but there can be better out there. No offense charlie , I like it also , but is there any 1/4 mile times? track lap times? or anything . sorry I dont follow it a lot
Let's just say that for many, it was the flagship of the PT movement!! I remember reading tidbits in CHP about a builder who was working on an ultimate resto mod. This was it. Many years ago. I am sure there are better now. Faster, more nimble, stop shorter. And not just 1st gens anymore either. It is just an homage we pay to those that came before us and blazed the trail. Plus it doesn't hurt that is so so damn sexy!:icon996:

TonyL
12-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Here. i decided to friendly it up a little for ya.

WHY do you guys worship this car so Damn much ? ,

I dunno. There are lots of reasons. Its got 1200 hp? it maxed out a 200 mph dyno at wheel to wheel?
It was built as a masterpiece by mark stielow, whos competed several times in the one lap of america refining what "pro-touring" is. And who also coined the term "pro-touring" itself? If there is better out there, I've never seen it. And the fact that Charile drives it all over the place just like any other car says alot too. It's the high mark, to many the ultimate "pro-touring" car.

edit: it also doesn't hurt that PHR covered pretty much every aspect of the car's build over a 2 year span. (i could be wrong about how many months) But, I'd have to this car has had more magazine coverage than any other car I can think of. the only other car that even comes close to being a house hold name like the Mule is Big Red. It's even been on "rides" (sort of) Sure, there is chicayne, which is a jewel and has 1200 hp too. But that car crosses some sort of line into "over the top," It's hard to put a finger on. I hope that sums it up.

DanT69
12-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I know why this amatuer likes the mule, it made me want a '69 and is something to aspire to (if I win the lotto, other then that I might end up with a cheap imitation).

trapin
12-09-2005, 04:14 AM
:lol: I can assure it is not a mechanical issue ;)
It's finally getting the Kitchen Sink installed. Now it's complete. :cheers:

WHY do you guys worship this car so Damn much?
Some men are Catholics, others are Baptists. Ya gotta believe in something.

andrewb70
12-09-2005, 05:35 AM
It's finally getting the Kitchen Sink installed. Now it's complete. :cheers:

Some men are Catholics, others are Baptists. Ya gotta believe in something.

COME WORSHIP AT THE ALTER OF THE GREAT MULE...or will it be the kitchen sink?

Spill the beans Charlie...

Andrew

Kevin@W2W
12-09-2005, 05:44 AM
My goodness this thread is funny.:lol:

68protouring454
12-09-2005, 05:51 AM
your for sure my hero today
i think your jealous that your cars do not get the following the mule does, but theres a reason for that, i will let you figure it out

z4me69
12-09-2005, 06:31 AM
no offense to anybody i do love the mule but my favorite of marks cars is the white 69 more practical and not near as much money and is a verry proven car how many times has it been on the power tour now what about the one lap of america and the car held its own .just my opinion

datsbad
12-09-2005, 08:44 AM
I do agreed it one of the best looking cars out there . I have just ever heard any hard core performance on it . i know the dyno thing is cool ,but would a car with half the HP beat it on the track ? or drag strip . why have all the power if it does nothing other than make you go whoooo!!!

I know it kinda set the pace for the pro -touring movement for some also . Heck it probably got me going as well .

trapin
12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
It doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Period. Stielow doesn't build eye candy. All his cars leave the garage with a racing pedigree built in. Asking The Mule to stretch her legs on a road course to prove her worth would be akin to the Japanese decision to bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941. I fear all we'll accomplish would be to wake a sleeping giant.

Damn True
12-09-2005, 09:04 AM
It doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Period. Stielow doesn't build eye candy. All his cars leave the garage with a racing pedigree built in. Asking The Mule to stretch her legs on a road course to prove her worth would be akin to the Japanese decision to bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941. I fear all we'll accomplish would be to wake a sleeping giant.

LOL, brilliant!

The white car and the witch ran One-Lap and did rather well if memory serves. The Thrasher and Mule were both significantly more advanced in terms of drivetrain and suspension. One can safely assume that the later iterations of Stielows craft would improve upon the earlier.

I too would like to see some hard data, but only because I am totally geeked by such things. Not because I doubt the cars performance.

TonyL
12-09-2005, 09:28 AM
the thrasher also competed in 1 lap. and did very well. the mule was the next evolution of that car. It was meant to be pushed, but when it was done, they realized it was too nice to risk flying off a road coarse at 160 mph.

datsbad
12-09-2005, 09:30 AM
I dont doubt it at all . just wanted to see some data .

I agree then let's continue to worship the sleeping giant then ! Nuf said ! Sorry I brought it up !

toolow4i75
12-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the white 69 that put Mark in the spotlight in the first place? That car was my favorite of his because of the use of primarily GM parts to make all upgrades, and it is his one camaro that I have not seen in person. If anyone has a link to some coverage of this car, please post.
Dave

TonyL
12-09-2005, 10:05 AM
this one?
https://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1969_Camaro/jeff_hyosaka_69_stielow_camaro/jeff_hyosaka_69_camaro.htm

toolow4i75
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Yea, I believe that would be the one, with a couple of cosmetic changes. Thanks Tony.

Dave

Charley Lillard
12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Jeff still has the white car and has expressed interest in the Malitude. I had the Mule in Detroit. Stielow has no room so it is at Wheel to Wheel till I can get a truck to pick it up. No I'm not making any more changes. Yes someday I hope to get it on a road coarse but with my driving I doubt if you will see the cars potential. Maybe I will get Mark to abuse it at some point.
I am also going to put the Thrasher up for sale. I really want to be able to make a run at that bus.

Damn True
12-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Jeff still has the white car and has expressed interest in the Malitude. I had the Mule in Detroit. Stielow has no room so it is at Wheel to Wheel till I can get a truck to pick it up. No I'm not making any more changes. Yes someday I hope to get it on a road coarse but with my driving I doubt if you will see the cars potential. Maybe I will get Mark to abuse it at some point.
I am also going to put the Thrasher up for sale. I really want to be able to make a run at that bus.

Selling the Thrasher eh?

Gawd I wish I had that kinda $$ laying around.

Tell ya what Charlie, I'll trade ya for my all original, complete, rust free '68 327 coupe........hey, stop laughing.

Moose
12-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Well nice shop at Wheel to wheel..

Charlie.. I've followed the mule, and Malitude.. Great articles and very motivational..

Moose

TonyL
12-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Charlie, what are you gonna use that bus for really? From what i understand they are terrifying to drive, tear up brakes, and steer horribly. Or do you have plans to modify it to?

67LS1T56
12-09-2005, 12:56 PM
White car allso was my inspiration. Thats what got me to build my car.
Steilow is the man.

Charley Lillard
12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Charlie, what are you gonna use that bus for really? From what i understand they are terrifying to drive, tear up brakes, and steer horribly. Or do you have plans to modify it to?
I have no idea what I would do with it other than look at it. Maybe put a diner inside it ? Maybe drive it back from Arizona, stop at every pick and pull and load it with parts ? :drive1:

Derek69SS
12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Charlie, what are you gonna use that bus for really? From what i understand they are terrifying to drive, tear up brakes, and steer horribly. Or do you have plans to modify it to?a couple of turbos, coil-overs, and some bigger sway-bars :secret:

TonyL
12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
naw. just drop it on a brand new greyhound chassis. that should fix everything. Some new alocas, some low profile tires and you may have something there.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-09-2005, 01:31 PM
naw. just drop it on a brand new greyhound chassis. that should fix everything. Some new alocas, some low profile tires and you may have something there.

Bus-touring?

That bus is alwful cool, and has some amazing history behind it.

Kevin@W2W
12-09-2005, 01:43 PM
B-machine........ tee hee.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-09-2005, 01:47 PM
B-machine........ tee hee.

:lmao:

jeffandre
12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro-diner...

Dinerfighter...

:rotfl:

6'9"Witha69
12-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Paint it green and call it Diner-o!

MuscleRodz
12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
What bus? I guess I missed that conversation somewhere.

Mike

Travis B
12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
What bus? I guess I missed that conversation somewhere.

Mike

Charley is selling off part of his stielow collection to try to buy a bus at the Barret Jackson

Boyd
12-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Charlie, with your stable of cars I'm sure your pockets are deep, but I know of a gentleman who is as intent on purchasing that bus as you seem to be. Can't wait to watch when that bus rolls across the block!

kmcanally
12-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Is he really trying to buy the bus...or just throwing us off the scent? Maybe he has his eyes on a certain orange Cuda? :dunno:

Charley Lillard
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Without selling some stuff I am not a player on that bus.

camcojb
12-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Without selling some stuff I am not a player on that bus.

Ok, I'll take the Malitude. What kind of financing do you offer? :hmm:

Jody

olds87
12-09-2005, 05:10 PM
How much would the Thrasher go for? That would be a fun car to drive around with. :drive1:

Charley Lillard
12-09-2005, 05:16 PM
about the same as Malitude..If nothing is sold by Barrett-Jackson then I will probably take them off the market.

olds87
12-09-2005, 05:23 PM
What cars is going on the block at Barrett-Jackson?

datsbad
12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
HOW much would the MULE be ? Just curoius?

Steve1968LS2
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Charley is selling off part of his stielow collection to try to buy a bus at the Barret Jackson

You know, when you put it like that it just sounds wrong..

WS6
12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
ok what bus are we talking about? i mean really what kind of bus is worth selling off malitude for? just curious because i am so not understanding this conversation.

Bill Howell
12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I think it is lot#1307 in the Jan.06 Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=182937
A very cool piece of GM history, or diner, or disco bar, or portable strip club, or catering delivery vehicle, or parts hauler or......
Charlie, with your driving skills, will we be able to see this vehicle's full potental?
BTW, I hope you have your CDL's if you really plan to drive it.

I looked at the pictures, the first step to the right out of the driver's seat is a long one.LOL

TonyL
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
its not really a bus. its a futurliner

see this

http://www.joeld.net/futurliner/futurliner.html

To find out more.

Charley Lillard
12-09-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm in the Mule alot more than any of the other 3 Stielow cars and it is not for sale. Red Witch is not for sale either. I'm guessing that bus will sell for alot more than I'm willing to pay but maybe...just maybe... :pat:

malihoochie
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow ... that is cool, but what would I use it for :hmm: .

Jeez, Kevin look what you started, & give give me (Rick) a call @ Dart when you get a minute.

David Pozzi
12-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Charley,
How tall is your shop door??? :)

Mean 69
12-10-2005, 07:49 AM
or portable strip club,

That gets my vote!!!!

I love every one of Stielow's creations, and would be proud to have them. BUT! That bus is not something that can be built, and even though the 'S cars have a lot of importance for the folks in this hobby, that 'liner has WAY more. Kind of like if you had a couple Leer jets, and the Spruce Goose was coming up for sale.

Charlie, I think you are marketing the car wrong. Look at all of the Unique stuff, the Motion car, etc. Those cars START at a higher price than your asking price, for a whole bunch less. I say you double the asking price, then bargain with the buyer! It's a win for everyone, no one wants to pay full price! Honestly, good luck with the liner, that is truly one heck of a trophy.
M

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Charley,
Maybe you could get the cars in the line up @ Barret Jackson before the bus. Then you know where you're at when it comes up. It would make for a good story. I don't know much about the BJ auction but I do it all the time on a MUCH smaller scale on Ebay. I see something I have to own, list a few items to end before the target ends, and then I know how much I can spend w/o dipping into my own pocket.

I call it "laundering" as it keeps the domestic investigator off my trail.

Ryan

camcojb
12-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Charley,
Maybe you could get the cars in the line up @ Barret Jackson before the bus. Then you know where you're at when it comes up. It would make for a good story. I don't know much about the BJ auction but I do it all the time on a MUCH smaller scale on Ebay. I see something I have to own, list a few items to end before the target ends, and then I know how much I can spend w/o dipping into my own pocket.

I call it "laundering" as it keeps the domestic investigator off my trail.

Ryan

B-J was booked up 6 months ago. Not a bad idea though.

Jody

C4Bird
12-10-2005, 09:03 AM
If I had only known... I had the chance to buy one of the futureliners unrestored 8-10 years ago for $4k, passed it up cause I wasn't sure what I would do with it (I was a junior in highschool at the time). Those things are wicked cool. Not really big enough to use as a motorhome unles you added slide outs.

With some modification and some engineering, would make a sweet car carrier. Not sure if the dimensions are right make one fit, but can you image, the liner side door opens up, a platform slides out and the mule is sitting one it....oh oh...anyone have a towel?

-Nate

BonzoHansen
12-10-2005, 02:51 PM
That shop has a beautiful floor. :drool:

That 69 Camaro (and a bunch of other cars) is real nice too. :icon_razz

JamesJ
12-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Those car would probably not see any thing special at Barrett Jackson, it the same reason that you do not see many race cars, There is just a small market and when the cars come up for sale the “Buyers” already know.

Hey Charlie maybe we can trade I got this fancy Airstream that I am trying to sell. Then you would not have to buy the bus.

http://www.hotrodhoodlumstexas.com/airstream.htm

Its never even been used. And has all the plates, cups, pots, pans, and yada yada yada

Ummgawa
12-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Low Poster but Jackass promised that car to me. Just ask him.

67Sally
12-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Low Poster but Jackass promised that car to me. Just ask him.

Jim can I have your car once you get the Mule?
W.

Charley Lillard
12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Will someone pay me whatever the Baldwin Motion car sells for ? :-)

BRIAN
12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I am going to sort of back up Datsbad in not really understanding the "God" of Pro Touring label placed on the car. Isn't Pro Touring supposed to be about driving and beating on a car proving it's performance?

I also will say it is one of the best engineered and finished street machines out there. I also understand that with that large of an investment it is hard to know it is going to get damaged in one way or another while being pushed to the limit. But isn't that the reason you guys bash Pro Street cars so much??? I guess it is disappointing to not see it prove what it is more than capable of doing.

It is your car and your money and you do as you please with it. Do not take my comments the wrong way as they are more directed at the admirers than the car itself. I have collected rare bikes that I have never ridden as they are more of a trophy than to be ridden so I somewhat understand the reasoning.

I actually do believe that you do have the cars underpriced. If you went to Barret and listed it as a whatever number in a series of Mark's builds it would bring double or close to it. What does a Unique car possibly have on your ride or rides??

Van B
12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
B-J was booked up 6 months ago. Not a bad idea though.

Jody

I am sure for the right car there are plenty of decimals that could be used for entry numbers. I am not sure about BJ, but at a lot of auctions I have been to they slide cars into a number like 251.5. :rolleyes5 or something like that. I would be surprised if it was ever really "booked up". But I have never been there, so I don't know.

I tend to agree with some others. Based on what I have seen lately, Thrasher and Malitude seem to be priced fairly and could do the moon at BJ.

Did I miss an update somewhere? I thought Mark had Thrasher back in the Malitude deal. I must be on the late show.. :dunno:

Charley Lillard
12-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Barrett has even overbooked the 251.1 251.2 type spots. A friend is selling one of the top cars there, 70 Hemi Cuda convert. He wanted to sell a second car and they told him no. They really are that booked. I would also like the Stielow cars to go to the right person. At Barrett I would lose that control. Yes I would take one of Marks cars over any new unique or Motion car. Yes I will at some point get the time to take the Mule on a track. Yes I think I have underpriced them. I finally measured my shop door today and it is 10' so the bus will not fit in the clean shop. I also put a 32 Ford on Ebay but drove it a bunch the last couple days and don't really want to sell it. I'm getting to where I kinda want to keep this stuff. When something sits you think of what else you could do with the money...Then you drive it and remember why you liked it so much. I have a friend and another guy very interested in the Thrasher. Not sure why nobody has jumped on the Malitude except maybe I haven't tried very hard to hype the cars or their builder.

Van B
12-16-2005, 05:47 AM
The thing about your two cars is that they are truly one of a kind and will never be duplicated. Someone else could try, but they would not be the same. I know how it is to get an itch to sell something only to regret it later. As far as Malitude not selling, I think the time of year has something to do with it as well. Also, I have only seen posts here and Lateral G, but I have not gone looking too much further either.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Still kicking myself for letting Red Witch slip through my hands before you got to it. A steal by today's standards.

Steve Chryssos
12-16-2005, 07:21 AM
The thing about your two cars is that they are truly one of a kind and will never be duplicated......

Many have tried. There are Mule clones all over the place. In fact, stop in at DSE at any point in time and you will see a row of Mule clones. Heck, we're working on one right now--only in red. FM5's, clip, cage, 4 link, 335's. It even has the Thrasher's spare all aluminum 400 engine.

Perhaps the Mule's "specs" are not so special anymore, but what is special is that the car made radical parts readily available and/or popular. Modifications like "mini-tubs" are not new, but they are now way easier to accomplish. It wasn't named the Mule for nothin'.

I doubt that the average Barrett-Jackson buyer cares. But I do.

Travis B
12-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I am going to sort of back up Datsbad in not really understanding the "God" of Pro Touring label placed on the car. Isn't Pro Touring supposed to be about driving and beating on a car proving it's performance?

I also will say it is one of the best engineered and finished street machines out there. I also understand that with that large of an investment it is hard to know it is going to get damaged in one way or another while being pushed to the limit. But isn't that the reason you guys bash Pro Street cars so much??? I guess it is disappointing to not see it prove what it is more than capable of doing.

It is your car and your money and you do as you please with it. Do not take my comments the wrong way as they are more directed at the admirers than the car itself. I have collected rare bikes that I have never ridden as they are more of a trophy than to be ridden so I somewhat understand the reasoning.

I actually do believe that you do have the cars underpriced. If you went to Barret and listed it as a whatever number in a series of Mark's builds it would bring double or close to it. What does a Unique car possibly have on your ride or rides??

brian I am with you and jason on this one...the car is killer. But it seems as though everyone makes a big deal out of it! NO direspect intended :fingersx:

Steve1968LS2
12-16-2005, 09:07 AM

Actually, Pro-Street is bagged on because they couldn't perform even if they were pushed. In other words they are incapable of performing how they look.

Most people agree that the Mule could certainly "lay down" some performance if it tried, I guess that is the big difference.

Would love to see El Mule at the track.. hey Charlie, bring it down for one of our track test days :D

If I had the $$ I would buy Thrasher.. and well.. :drive2:

Charley Lillard
12-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Come up to Thunderhill....

olds87
12-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Where it that place at?

Charley Lillard
12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
About 60 miles north of Sacramento

BRIAN
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Actually, Pro-Street is bagged on because they couldn't perform even if they were pushed. In other words they are incapable of performing how they look.

So I can build a event cruiser and have everybody think it can perform only if it is set up as a Pro Touring car?

1200hp, killer suspension, etc does not mean it will perform anymore than 14inch rear tires mean a Pro Street car can hit the 1/4 hard.

I do not know of any car know matter who built it that will go from being built to any competition without needing adjustments, parts changed, and sorting through the broken stuff before it hits it's goals.

Once agin, incredible car that I wish I had but you can't put something out there as being king of the hill but never been proven? Charlie it is your car and honestly with the collection you have know the car better than any of us. It is your car and you do not have to prove a thing. Guys build, collect or whatever makes them happy and I can appreciate the car for what it is. Cars like that have raised the bar for build quality.

Before this gets out of hand I was simply stating I would love to see that car prove that is is indeed the "King" of all Pro Touring that evrybody here has made it out to be.

ZL-1
12-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Barrett has even overbooked the 251.1 251.2 type spots. A friend is selling one of the top cars there, 70 Hemi Cuda convert. He wanted to sell a second car and they told him no. They really are that booked. I would also like the Stielow cars to go to the right person. At Barrett I would lose that control. Yes I would take one of Marks cars over any new unique or Motion car. Yes I will at some point get the time to take the Mule on a track. Yes I think I have underpriced them. I finally measured my shop door today and it is 10' so the bus will not fit in the clean shop. I also put a 32 Ford on Ebay but drove it a bunch the last couple days and don't really want to sell it. I'm getting to where I kinda want to keep this stuff. When something sits you think of what else you could do with the money...Then you drive it and remember why you liked it so much. I have a friend and another guy very interested in the Thrasher. Not sure why nobody has jumped on the Malitude except maybe I haven't tried very hard to hype the cars or their builder.

Guess you will just have to chop and lower the bus!!!

Charley Lillard
12-16-2005, 07:24 PM
"Once agin, incredible car that I wish I had but you can't put something out there as being king of the hill but never been proven? "
Brian. I have never claimed it to be king of anything. I think people are basing their opinions on how Stielows previous cars performed. When he first finished this car he had it on a track and said it worked well. Seeing that he is a top ride and handling engineer at GM I have no reason to doubt him. Since then I have had the turbos added. The added weight should have a effect but it should still do OK. Most of what people like about the car is how well stuff is thought out end executed. I now have over 8000 miles on it, it is showing it's age and it won't be going on Power Tour next year so taking it on a road course and breaking something won't kill me like it would have if I were depending on it for power tour. I don't think Mark wanted anyone to call it the king of anything either.

Ummgawa
12-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Will someone pay me whatever the Baldwin Motion car sells for ? :-)

Done.:icon996:

slck6t9
12-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Charlie, showing its age. The car still looks fantastic. What do you mean it can't go on the power tour because it is showing its age? I guess we have different opinion's about age.

Scott

Steve Chryssos
12-17-2005, 08:48 AM
......When he first finished this car he had it on a track and said it worked well......

What? The Mule has seen track time? No, that can't be true. After all, there was no documentation of the event or long-winded armchair quarterback benchracing session, so it must not have happened.

Charley Lillard
12-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Charlie, showing its age. The car still looks fantastic. What do you mean it can't go on the power tour because it is showing its age? I guess we have different opinion's about age.

Scott
SLCK... It's condition has nothing to do with Power Tour. It is not going because I plan on driving the Red Witch this year. The showing it's age comment was in relation to trashing it around a track. I have been on a track and know how hard it is on cars.I'm curious how many here would take their brand new car built to a similar level and really trash it at the track when brand new. Stuff breaks. When your big vacation plan is power tour you take precautions to not break stuff. The Mule has been through enough rain, dirt and you name it that it will never again have the luster it had when finished. I am not the type of guy to tear a car down just to detail it. That is what I meant by it showing it's age.

Bob Johnson
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
what year airstream? how long?

Bob Johnson
12-17-2005, 12:28 PM
SLCK... It's condition has nothing to do with Power Tour. It is not going because I plan on driving the Red Witch this year. The showing it's age comment was in relation to trashing it around a track. I have been on a track and know how hard it is on cars.I'm curious how many here would take their brand new car built to a similar level and really trash it at the track when brand new. Stuff breaks. When your big vacation plan is power tour you take precautions to not break stuff. The Mule has been through enough rain, dirt and you name it that it will never again have the luster it had when finished. I am not the type of guy to tear a car down just to detail it. That is what I meant by it showing it's age.
way I figure it ..California to mid state Fla..to New Joisee..back to California..that's a fur piece..even for an iron man

Ummgawa
12-17-2005, 01:59 PM
What? The Mule has seen track time? No, that can't be true. After all, there was no documentation of the event or long-winded armchair quarterback benchracing session, so it must not have happened.
Well said steevo, The Mule has absolutely nothing to prove. It is the real stuff reguardless or what ever gets said or written about it now, last week or next year. That car will be legendary. heck is legendary. When I am 60 even 70 I will remember that car. Leghump that anybody.

Bob Johnson
12-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Those car would probably not see any thing special at Barrett Jackson, it the same reason that you do not see many race cars, There is just a small market and when the cars come up for sale the “Buyers” already know.

Hey Charlie maybe we can trade I got this fancy Airstream that I am trying to sell. Then you would not have to buy the bus.

http://www.hotrodhoodlumstexas.com/airstream.htm

Its never even been used. And has all the plates, cups, pots, pans, and yada yada yada
james..what year and length is your airstream you have for sale

datsbad
12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Charley for the record , I am sorry what I started . NO DISRESPECT INTENDED!

slck6t9
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Charlie, that was my point. I DON"T think it looks like it is showing its age. I LOVE IT...

Scott

BRIAN
12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Guys once again this is just lite conversation on the internet. Charlie you are missing all the compliments and reading into my questioning the cars ability. I actually do not even question that. I just want to know what it does, it is an interesting car that like most I have followed since it's conception.

What I do question is the guys who go on and on about cars and parts on this site that do not appear to have any credit. In your case the car has enough real driving and beat on time then me and most never knew about. You do not owe me any explanation but I love the idea that you have put that many miles on it. I guess like a lot of guys I would have loved to see some sort of end result with numbers for something for the rest of us to shoot for. A sort of follow up to it after the build with some miles on her. If it is the KING then what determines that and how to we set the bar. Real cars have scratches and adjustmenst made after being used. It would be a welcome change to see it know and what was altered VS. the new $500k super show machines.

Read every post I have written explained it is yours and you can do as you feel fit. I know "YOU" never said it was the King and that was my whole point. I have followed all the builds on Mark's cars and have to say I try to catch up to that level in my own work.

There is zero disrespect to anyone meant in any way and anybody here who has ever met me knows I am the last person to put down anybody's car.. This is an open forumn for discussion.

By the way I am also going to the Power Tour this year. I will be the guy trailering his car. It does 55mph steady right behind my truck if anybody was interested in the numbers.

Charley Lillard
12-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Don't anybody worry about me. I didn't think anyone was trying to offend me. As for info on how the car works, we have never done any more writeups on the car since it had the twin turbos installed. Maybe we should..

Slck6T9...best way to see all the little stuff on a car is to hand wash it. I know where all the grime is.....

trapin
12-18-2005, 07:13 AM
When I was at Wheel 2 Wheel last year for their open house I really wished I would have taken the time to look over Red Witch closer. My buddy was hurrying me through it and I didn't have a lot of time to spend with her. Of course when you have Malitude and El Mule just a few feet apart from each other, it's easy to get distracted. But Red Witch is the one car out of Charley's collection that really gets my attention because it's a '67. And I'm partial to the '67s and '68s.

Is there any detailed information available about Red Witch? Front and Rear suspension? Tire sizes? Drivetrain? I don't believe I've ever seen a write-up on it, just pictures.

Charley Lillard
12-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Red Witch is in Detroit now at the painters. Engine is at Wheel to Wheel. I think it dynoed at 570 hp and 600 ft lbs...Nice torque cruiser for power tour. Magazine coverage I have listed as Hotrod March, June, August, October and December of 96. Also CHP Sept 96, Corvette Fever October 96. Hotrod sept and November 97, CHP April 98. I have articles somewhere but maybe someone else has them handier.
Used front spindles off a 87 Corvette with coilovers, Mini tubbed with Landrum 175in lb leaf springs with Konis, trans is a ZF6 speed, front wheels are 17x8.5 and rears are 17x11 tires are255/40 17's and 315/35 17's.

ZL-1
12-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Who is dong the paint work?

BigBronco
12-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Damn that car is STILL super sexy

trapin
12-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks Charley. Yeah if anyone has a link to more info I'd appreciate it.

Charley Lillard
12-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Who is dong the paint work?

Rays Customs in Keego Harbor Mi.

JamesJ
12-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Bob Johnson, I sent you a PM...

Bob Johnson
12-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Bob Johnson, I sent you a PM...
I'll have to try and find it..man I'm still listening to doo wop music..just got the VCR straight and then..c/d's..this stuff has made my life so much easier I'm about to have a break-down..I haven't been going to this thread or whatever you call it

Bill Howell
12-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Go to the top of the page Bob. Under your name there is private messages. click on it and there you are.

12-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow this thread sure took some strange direction.....
No better way to start your day than a look at the Mule...No honey I meant the car.....Really I did.....put down the gun.......

Kurt