PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running RideTech TruTurn on 1st gen Firebird w/ Pontiac engine?

RH68
01-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Is anybody here running the RideTech TruTurn on their 1st gen Firebird and using a Pontiac engine? I am attempting to install and have a major issue with the inner tie rod end hitting my Hedman headers on the driver side. I have d-port heads. The tie rod end basically resides where one of the header tubes is so no amount of denting the tube would fix this.

I have seen one 1st gen Bird with TruTurn but it had Edelbrock round port heads and it looks like the way the header tubes route is different if I compare pictures of d-port headers vs. round port headers.

If anyone is doing this and can tell me what headers you used it would be greatly appreciated!

chiva
01-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Long branch manifolds maybe?

RH68
01-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Yea I am thinking the long branch manifolds are looking like my best option. I'm trying to get a picture of them so I can see how the fit on the driver side.

In looking at pictures of headers from the various manufacturers they all look pretty similar in the area where I have interference.

RH68
01-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Yea I am thinking the long branch manifolds are looking like my best option. I'm trying to get a picture of them so I can see how the fit on the driver side.

In looking at pictures of headers from the various manufacturers they all look pretty similar in the area where I have interference.

Here is a picture showing the interference between the header and the tie rod end. This is with the wheel turned all the way to one side. If turned back towards center the tie rod end crashes right into the tube.

chiva
01-22-2019, 10:18 AM
I would probably call ride tech and ask them if they would work with long branch manifolds. It looks like it might not work with them either.