PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic clutch in 1970 chevelle

dug
12-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Hello all,

I have an American Powertrain hydraulic clutch kit for my 1970 chevelle that I'm having a very tough time installing. Everything has been good until I needed to install the master cylinder for the clutch and the associated linkage. I've tried installing it per their instructions with their "patented firewall mount" but I cannot get the correct location which will give me good pedal feel and no rubbing of the linkage on the firewall. I've drilled a couple holes in the clutch pedal trying to achieve the desired outcome but it's just not working. The firewall mount has not impressed me at all- if the mount is adjusted all the way down at its maximum limit the linkage rubs all over the bracket (why make a bracket with that much adjust-ability where you can't even use it all?). So I'm doing a lot of research and I've found other kits like the Mcleod kit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-1434004) that uses a bracket that bolts behind the BRAKE master cylinder and provides the correct angle etc etc. They don't sell this bracket by itself and from what I've determined I probably couldn't use the bracket anyways with my stock style power brake booster being in the way. I looked into wilwood pedals but that creates whole other can of worms. So, has anyone successfully installed this kit on a chevelle with stock power brake booster and pedals? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to make my own bracket similar to the Mcleod kit.

raustinss
12-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I haven't installed mine yet but tony at abcperformance.net has a couple different styles , he has this on his own 70.

dug
12-10-2018, 07:17 PM
I haven't installed mine yet but tony at abcperformance.net has a couple different styles , he has this on his own 70.

Wow. Thank you so much for that tip. I found them and I'll be giving them a call.

raustinss
12-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Np. Hope it works out for you , let's us know

dug
12-14-2018, 12:35 PM
I've contacted abc performance and they said it should work for my application. I've ordered the product but it'll be a few weeks until I get to my car again to see if will work. Even after talking with them I think I might still need to modify the bracket a little bit.

chuckd71
12-20-2018, 09:01 PM
I tried the McLeod stuff, was less than ideal. The kit from Bowler works really well.