PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective radiator for 1st Gen/LS1??

BuddyP
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Looking to find some info on the most cost effective aluminum radiator and fans for a '68 Camaro. I see some on ebay that look good but are they junk? Plan on running a supercharger in the future off a stock LS1 motor so just want to make sure I have proper cooling ahead of time.

Thanks
Buddy P

morrisclassic
12-07-2005, 07:24 AM
We put an Afco double row 1" core in our Camaro. Had a custom shroud made, Zirgo fans, !0" fans pull 1500 cfm each. Works well.

Billy

gmachinz
12-24-2005, 04:38 AM
You can go the custom route but you won't have any problems whatsoever if you go with a quality universal radiator (I don't know of any offhand that are epoxied anymore..at least for performance universals anyway) and a Mark VIII fan w/DC Controller. That is your absolute best dollar to performance ratio. Custom built radiators are nice if you have the money for it and/or if you have special requirements. If you want pics or have questions, email me with specifics. Btw, while I have no personal expereince with them, I have seen a LOT of threads on other sites about poor quality Zirgo fans so I would do some research on those. -Jabin

morrisclassic
12-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Where and what problems have you heard about the poor quality Zirgo
Fans? I have two on my aluminium radiator that are working fine but I
would like more information on the quality and relibility of Zirgo Fans.

Billy

gmachinz
12-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Most problems seem to be with the balancing of the shafts and others are questioning actual cfm flow capabilities. Here is one thread from a streetrod site...I'll see about finding a few more..... -Jabin

"I finally got everything back together and went for a test drive saturday. Everything was going fine, the temp did not rise above 190° all morning, when all of a sudden I see the amp meter drop and temp starts to rise rapidly. I shut it off and find the Zirgo fan not moving, that thing just seized up. I couldnt believe it, but it appears the shaft seized up. What a bummer. That fan was brand new. Had to call a tow truck to get home, too much stop and go traffic, didn't want to take a chance.
Has anybody else had similar experiences with Zirgo, and is Spal better quality?"