PDA

View Full Version : G Body Suspension Needed

Cadzilla517
11-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Hello,
I’m new to the forum and need some advice for an upcoming project. I’m currently in the process of resurrecting my high school car into a pro-touring/autoX’r. I need some advice on the best suspension packages for the buck.

current specs:
1979 Chevrolet Malibu
517” Cadillac
TH400
12 Bolt w/3.73 & Powertax locker

planned upgrades:
freshening and updating the engine
Tremec TKO 5 speed
Positraction
245/40 on 18” Torq-Thrusts front
275/40 on 20” Tirq-Thrusts rear

What I need help with is find a suspension setup that will allow me to keep the 12 bolt rear end. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

And of course upgraded front disks and a rear disk conversion.

csouth
11-09-2018, 11:26 AM
UMI Performance has g-body suspension kits available. They are sponsors hear and also provide support for members when needed...

Cadzilla517
11-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Sweet. I’ve been looking at their kits.

killer69
11-09-2018, 01:02 PM
we have a complete front and rear with coil overs and sway bars

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=19/mode=cat/cat19.htm

BMR Sales
11-09-2018, 02:16 PM
We also make G-Body Parts

SSLance
11-10-2018, 06:13 AM
First off, welcome to the site. A lot of great helpful people with tons of experience and wisdom here.

I've been racing my G Body regularly for 5 years now and have tried just about everything out there to make it work better. Happy to help out with any questions or issues you may run into. I've probably already dealt with them.

Your biggest decision is one you should make first, will you ever eventually want to go coilover on the fronts? If do, I'd start there first to keep from throwing parts away and buying again.

With that big heavy beast under the hood, getting the ride height and spring rate correct for optimum handling will be a lot easier with coilovers.

If you do decide to do coilovers there are some definite dos and don'ts to watch out for. Happy to help in this regard if that is your choice.

Show us some pics of your car.. We all dig pics...

Cadzilla517
11-10-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm just not sure about the coilovers just yet, but I'm keeping all my options open. I hate buying parts just to replace them later. As far as the weight goes, the Cadillac only weights about 55 lbs more than an SBC. The batteries are already moved to the trunk to help with weight distribution. I appreciate the advice, and I'll be asking several questions as the build progresses.

UMI Tech
11-12-2018, 09:33 AM
How is the track width for the 12-bolt vs the front? Did you take that into account with the wheels?

At UMI, our Green Machine is a very successful Pro Tour/Auto-x car. I can help you with any questions you may have on that platform. From mild to wild.

[email protected]

Cadzilla517
11-14-2018, 06:51 AM
It’s about 2” wider than the stock 7.5. I’ll buy wheels accordingly. What rear end is under your test car?

UMI Tech
11-14-2018, 06:53 AM
We road race a lot so it has a Currie floater built to fit stock location. Bolted right in. 3.50 gear. Eaton Detroit Tru Trac. Wilwood Currie specific brakes.