PDA

View Full Version : RSX302 Side Exhaust Info

RSX302
12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Thread from RSX302 Update Section

The side pipes are from hooker made to fit 67-69 Camaro/ Firebird/ Nova/ Chevy II. Summit Racing HOK-76936HKR, but before you run out and grab a set. There was a lot of fabrication that went into these to get what I wanted. These are 4" side pipes to hold a muffler inside. I ran 3" mandrels from the turbos down to around the back of the tire. I then transitioned to a 4" before exiting the side. Turbo Down Pipes (http://users.adelphia.net/~rderaad/images/Exhaust.JPG) They look like crap now but they are going out to Jet Hot to get coated.

Now for the sound. I bought a set of the inserts for the sidepipes but didn’t notice the 2” hole for exhaust to go through. Never understood that one. Sent them back...Summit did have 2.5” but I didn’t like the glass pack sound. I wanted the perforated inner tube not the stamped spiral inner tube. Nobody has a 3” muffler insert for a 4” pipe. So since I had a set of 3” Bullet Race mufflers in the corner I decided to experiment. I cut off the outside shield to expose the glass and this allowed it to fit inside the 4” sidepipe. It worked out beautifully! I bought another set of longer Bullet Race Mufflers to use up the whole lentgh of the side pipe. Flared the ends of the mufflers for flow and it sounds awesome. Not to loud but not to quiet either. Low deep sound, just the way I like it.

Clearance! This is an issue in some cases. About 3" at my ride height. I've only hit once so far. Tall spead bumps, you go around. But its probably similar with low header collectors.

Burnt legs are no issue because they tuck under nicely. Maybe a shoe with a little rubber left behind :)

JMarsa
12-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info!

--JMarsa

F70t/a
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Great info, Any chance we might get some sound clips? :smoke:

RSX302
12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
I will as soon as I get everything back together. Hopefully by the end of the month.

F70t/a
12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Sweet can't wait. Your camaro is Badass!!!! :icon_razz How much do you charge for rides? j/k

RSX302
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Free to the one in the area. :wrc:

F70t/a
12-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I might have to take a trip to South Cali then :bananna2: