PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Angle!!!! Help

68protouring454
12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Can anybody get me the tailshaft angle on a stock '68 Camaro? I need the difference between the tailshaft angle and the angle of the rear legs on the front subframe.I need it with stock motor mounts, stock transmission crossmember and stock transmission mount.
thanks alot

paul67
12-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Have you the rear axle fitted , as the angle of the trans sits in relation to the axle angle , see earlier posts, if going standard it used to be 41/2 deg down so the carb sat flat.
paul67

68protouring454
12-07-2005, 07:33 AM
ok, now if it is around 4.5 down, what does the rear arm of the subframe sit at?? 0º this is all i need to know, pinion angle is not a concern as it is taken care of i just need these 2 angles , my other first gen has its motor out so i cannot check that, any help would be great

ProdigyCustoms
12-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Try to get the motor low as possible with out ground clearance or sterering clearance issues, and get the assembly level with the sub frame. To drop the car a good inch, you can hard mount the subframe with no bushings. Once you subframe connect, you might as well hard mount it anyway.

paul67
12-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Flat if you are using a rubber trans mount.
paul67

yody
12-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Try to get the motor low as possible with out ground clearance or sterering clearance issues, and get the assembly level with the sub frame. To drop the car a good inch, you can hard mount the subframe with no bushings. Once you subframe connect, you might as well hard mount it anyway.
So your saying not to use any body mounts whatsoever? Wouldn't this cause weird things with body panel alignment? and possilbe header to floor clearance issues? Jake do you need specs or suggestions at where it should be?

camcojb
12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Mine have all been 90 degrees or so at the pinion yoke and the trans 2-3 degrees down. Very smooth cruising and no funny stuff on acceleration. You can add some more degrees if you're planning on drag racing with slicks.

Jody

derekf
12-09-2005, 05:31 PM
90 degrees? Measured from what? (I have an image in my head of the pinion being vertical and the u-joint straining to turn)

68protouring454
12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
sounds like he said pinion was parrallel to the ground or 0º
BUT guys stop reading to much into the question, i understand how pinion angle works and where it needs to be, all i was wondering is how many degrees the tranny points down in stock form , and the angle of the rear arm on the subframe (the part that comes back and bolts to seat pan) which is probaly 0º aka parrallel to the ground, thats all i need to know
thanks for the help

camcojb
12-09-2005, 10:16 PM
90 degrees? Measured from what? (I have an image in my head of the pinion being vertical and the u-joint straining to turn)

90 degrees from the ground or straight forward, no up or down angle at the yoke.

Jody

parsonsj
12-10-2005, 05:57 AM
The tranny down angle is usually 2 degrees or so. If you have a stock carb intake manifold, you can measure that since it is usually designed to level the carb with the engine going downhill.

jp

68protouring454
12-10-2005, 06:05 AM
that makes no sense and is not what i am asking, well 1/2 of it is.
tranny angle down is yeah usuallyt 2-4 degrees i was wanting to double check, but to measure the stock intake as its made to be level????????? how does that tell me anything about how the subframe sits, other then the manifold was made to level which would mean the carb flange has 2 degrees correction built into it>
thanks but my question was simple and i was only wanting to double check as i can't physically do it and verify it

paul67
12-10-2005, 12:37 PM
The subframe according to the assembly manual i have runs parallel to the floor, and i have checked mine and it does.

paul67

68protouring454
12-10-2005, 12:46 PM
thanks alot, perfect
jake