PDA

View Full Version : Chassis and supension

RJ1
10-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Hi I'm getting ready to start a 68 Camaro build and I'm looking for some suggestions for my chassis and suspension. However to give you a general idea of the car it will be a daily-driver/autocross car with about 650-700 hp.

MonzaRacer
10-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Ridetech.com
speedtech.com

H20cooled
10-07-2018, 07:51 PM
I would also consider the Roadster Shops full chassis, for the price and what you get its really hard to beat. http://roadstershop.com/product/full-chassis/1967-69-camaro-spec-chassis/

BMR Sales
10-08-2018, 05:34 AM
BMR Torque Arm ( Bolt In Kit), Tubular A-Arms, ViKing Coilovers

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/10/08/IMG_20130123_162920.md.jpg (https://www.hostmyjunk.com/image/OMv1S)

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/10/08/IMG_2563.md.jpg (https://www.hostmyjunk.com/image/OMyuT)

https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2018/10/08/_MG_2956.md.jpg (https://www.hostmyjunk.com/image/OoG5E)

Just 1 More
10-08-2018, 06:04 AM
I'll be going with the TCI torque arm kit for my '68 https://totalcostinvolved.com/products/1967-1969-chevy-camaro-torque-arm/

79T/Aman
10-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Lets start with what do you want to do with the car?
What is your budget?

RJ1
10-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Budget 125,000-150,000 and I'm looking for something i can drive daily however go to an autocross event and compete.

CSG
10-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Contracting the work out or doing it yourself?

RJ1
10-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Contracting the work out or doing it yourself?

Contracting out there some very good shops in my area who can do it for my budget.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets start with what do you want to do with the car?
What is your budget?

Budget 125,000-150,000 and I'm looking for something i can drive daily however go to an autocross event and compete

MonzaRacer
10-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Honestly, for that budget, for ride and handling take hard look at the Ridetech full on shockwave stetup with 4 link and also do the wheel well mods to get bigger wheels and TruTurn to allow bigger wheels/tires up front.
Also with that setup it would ride/drive awesome and autocross well.
My friend just picked up a set of rushforth wheels and they were spectacular. His czr has tons of carbonfiber parts, and we did actually swap in LSx as his SBC _as bought at great profit (had 454 sbc/4l80e) as in he made .ike $20k profit selling the combo. And just picked up a 2018 ZR1 blown engine and a 2017 6speed trans for like $14kwith all electronics done ready to swap into something..Now his brother is pushingvto pull lower and turbo it but he likes whine he says.
Where are you located for thzt matter as then we might re ommend someone close.

raustinss
10-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Detroit speed for everything

Peter Mc Mahon
10-08-2018, 04:46 PM
I enjoyed reading the development thread of the Sniper front sub frame so I would suggest looking at No-limit engineering as well.

RJ1
10-08-2018, 06:09 PM
honestly, for that budget, for ride and handling take hard look at the ridetech full on shockwave stetup with 4 link and also do the wheel well mods to get bigger wheels and truturn to allow bigger wheels/tires up front.
Also with that setup it would ride/drive awesome and autocross well.
My friend just picked up a set of rushforth wheels and they were spectacular. His czr has tons of carbonfiber parts, and we did actually swap in lsx as his sbc _as bought at great profit (had 454 sbc/4l80e) as in he made .ike $20k profit selling the combo. And just picked up a 2018 zr1 blown engine and a 2017 6speed trans for like $14kwith all electronics done ready to swap into something..now his brother is pushingvto pull lower and turbo it but he likes whine he says.
Where are you located for thzt matter as then we might re ommend someone close.
charlotte,nc

CSG
10-09-2018, 04:18 AM
After doing research I went with Detroit Speed for my street car build. There is certainly other stuff out there that is good but I felt most comfortable with this.

RobNoLimit
10-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Buy my 68. Body is very solid and straight, not perfect, but a great start. No Limit Sniper IFS, Ridetech shocks, TBM brakes, splined bars, Offset 3-link rear, Moser HD 9" floater w/ TBM brakes, billit case True-trac diff, rear suspension is on rockers, so coil-overs and sway bar are in the trunk. Fitted and welded subframe connectors, side rail stiffeners, 6 pt cage, DSE mini tubs and rail kit. Front inner fenders widened 1 3/4". Custom alum fuel tank and plumbing for EFI, balance bar brake/clutch system (currently has auto) ForgeLines set up for 315 square. With your budget, buy this car, drive it until you choose the shop/build design, go directly to body fit and interior upgrades. Be finished a year sooner with a better car. done.

cornfedbill
10-09-2018, 06:16 AM
I would go with the No Limit Engineering sniper IFS (http://nolimit.net/products#!/No-Limit-Camaro-IFS/p/50265235/category=13101095) or the Speedway Motors G-Comp system (www.speedwaymotors.com)

The Sniper IFS is a clean sheet design that is well thought out, not just a modification of the stock system. I must say it is my favorite from an engineering perspective.

The G-Comp system is on the Goodguy's Autocross winning Camaro built by Speedway Motors. It performs very well. I have had opportunity to spend time with the Speedway Motors team and get a close look at their cars. This stuff is well sorted out and very much race bred, but streetable.

All the other recommendations above are good. Each system has strengths and weaknesses. Do your homework.

I would seriously consider Rob's offer above. You'll be on the street faster than any other option with a car that is already sorted out. Rob builds great stuff. His craftsmanship is top notch.

CSG
10-09-2018, 07:20 AM
I would be calling Rob if I was you. If his price is fair then that would be a great start and like he mentioned you could have a car to your liking in a much quicker time frame.

jetmech442
10-09-2018, 01:23 PM
OMG Rob, your camaro reads and looks like a wet dream! Offset 3 link and 315's squared...oh man. I have a budget of $12.50 to 15.00...can we deal lol?

Sorry, it's been a long day at work and seeing that pic in the grass with the widened fenders makes me want to start my 442 alllll over again.

Chad-1stGen
10-09-2018, 02:04 PM
In that budget range I'd strongly encourage you to use an aftermarket subframe. I've had a lot of success with my TCI Engineering subframe and torque arm.

pitts64
10-11-2018, 04:10 AM
I would start from scratch with a modern sub...

Mark@lateral-dynamics
10-11-2018, 03:38 PM
"I'm looking for something i can drive daily however go to an autocross event and compete"

By "compete," do you mean "participate," or win? The two are very different. Defining the project based on budget isn't usually (and I am being nice here) the fastest car. Just attracts folks looking to sell you stuff that probably won't meet your goals - if you want to be top dog. Opinions are worth what you pay for them on the internet - there are some decent systems out there but most of them, in a serious competitive nature, are not very appealing. What class(es) are you planning on running?

Mark

RJ1
10-12-2018, 09:40 AM
"I'm looking for something i can drive daily however go to an autocross event and compete"

By "compete," do you mean "participate," or win? The two are very different. Defining the project based on budget isn't usually (and I am being nice here) the fastest car. Just attracts folks looking to sell you stuff that probably won't meet your goals - if you want to be top dog. Opinions are worth what you pay for them on the internet - there are some decent systems out there but most of them, in a serious competitive nature, are not very appealing. What class(es) are you planning on running?

Mark
Well novice starting off then i plan on going to do some CAM-T

Chad-1stGen
10-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Well novice starting off then i plan on going to do some CAM-T

Sweet! Long live CAM-T!

Mark@lateral-dynamics
10-16-2018, 08:56 AM
CAM-T sounds like a perfect spot to build a car around. Suspension options are unlimited, so you can pretty much use anything out there up to an including a full custom setup. A few things to keep in mind, don't underestimate the need for great tires - we use BFG Rival's due to the available sizes, but the Bridgestones and Falkens are also excellent. Without one of these three, you will probably not be competitive. Second, what type of rear suspension are you interested in (this assumes you make the best decision by going to an aftermarket front frame setup)? IRS can offer the advantage of better grip on rough tracks, but it's more complex and typically more expensive and limited in adjustment. Stick axle cars are very, very competitive in this and similar series. Lastly, do EVERYTHING you can to minimize the weight of the car, this is a huge advantage to a new build in that most of your competition will be several hundred pounds more. Rules say 2950 lbs without driver, your ideal car should be not one milligram more than that.

Have fun!