PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump overheating

1985olds
06-08-2018, 07:27 PM
We drove down for power tour over the past couple of days and had no issues. Today after 1400 miles in 3 days, we went to Nashville for lunch and then came the traffic. We sat in traffic for a while in 95 degrees on blacktop and my fuel pump overheated (I could hear the pump strain and engine shut off). Waited a minute got going filled up the car and away we went. Next time we sat in traffic an hour later, same thing. Got out of the traffic and did 70 mph and it was fine. I plan on insulating the fuel lines in the eengine bay and see what happens. Car is an 85 cutlass with a 5.3. Any ideas to help keep the pump happy and fuel cool?

dhutton
06-09-2018, 04:35 AM
Deleted.

parsonsj
06-09-2018, 06:49 PM
It may not be the pump -- it could be vapor lock. Tell us more about your fuel delivery setup.

CarlC
06-10-2018, 10:04 AM
If Charlie Lilard is on the PT this year he will tell you about the years of troubles that he had with fuel systems and how they are now cured.

Vaporworx.com

1985olds
06-10-2018, 01:47 PM
It may not be the pump -- it could be vapor lock. Tell us more about your fuel delivery setup.

It's just a stock g body tank (carb), -6 lines in and out of a Bosch 044 on the fuel rail lower than the tank, c5 filter/regulator on the fuel rail.

CarlC
06-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Not uncommon for that setup to have problems on warm days and traffic conditions. James Shipka killed a few in OLC.

If sticking with the Bosch is a must we can come up with a single pump arrangement for this: https://www.vaporworx.com/product-category/pwm-kits/bosch-044/

Is the pump in the back of the car? Your description above makes it seem the pump is near the engine.

TheJDMan
06-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Couldn't you just add a fluid cooler of some sort to the return line to reduce the fuel temp in the tank?

Jk918
07-01-2018, 03:29 AM
I believe an in tank pump would naturally keep it cooler

JohnUlaszek
01-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Your tank might not be vented properly. If air can't get into the tank to replace the space created by fuel consumption the atmospheric pressure in the tank will be reduced. This will case the fuel to boil at a lower temperature resulting in fuel pump cavitation. Its also possible that the fuel was boiling from the high ambient air temp and low speed driving -- this would also cause pump cavitation. Return style fuel systems sometimes require a bit of extra care to reduce the heat they input into the system as well.