PDA

View Full Version : Fitech EFI tuner around Bay Area CA?

ddavisart
05-31-2018, 08:09 AM
A friend's looking for somebody to dyno tune his Ford 390 with a fitech efi recently installed on it. Can anybody recommend a place that touches old engines with efi conversions?

rustomatic
05-31-2018, 05:55 PM
Aren't those self-tuning?

ddavisart
05-31-2018, 06:39 PM
His is self learning but still having some issues with hesitation that never smoothed out. He was looking at getting it onto a dyno and into the hands of somebody that knows these kits well to dial everything in. I dont know much about them or how limited their base handheld is for fine adjustments but I believe it still supports laptop tuning also. I mostly deal with LS dyno tuners in the area and most of those guys just deal with modern engine setups.

Spork82
05-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Check out fitech's Facebook page for tips and possible tuners. Also on chevelle.com theres a huge section based on fitech and setup

ddavisart
06-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks, just found the chevelle thread.

WallaceMFG
06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
If he's having an off idle hesitation try adjusting the Accel Pump & Fast Accel values up. I've worked on a couple Fitechs so far and that worked for both to cure an off idle hesitation.

How many miles does he have on it? The more he drives the better it will get. On our Chevelle I was able to improve the hesitation using the tuning interface, and the self learning was able to get rid of it completely after putting some miles on it.

There's some good basic info here:
http://fitechefi.com/tech-posts/fitech-efi-basic-setup-instructions/

PM me if you have more questions and I can try to help.

ddavisart
06-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks, his is an off idle hesitation also. He hasnt been driving it much, maybe a few hundred miles. I know he adjusted the accel pump/fast accel values but the problem still stuck around. Maybe it just needs more miles to work itself out. I noticed his car runs pretty cold after warmed up. Only hitting 160 after long drives. Wondering if this is effecting the system learning or if his coolant sensor is reading wrong. He wasn't sure what thermostat was in the car since he bought it recently and the factory coolant temp gauge only reads cold or hot.

boss_hoss
06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Do you watch engine masters on YouTube or motortrend. They have one about about the throttle body style EFI units. If he's running a dual plane manifold that may be part of the issue. They recommended running a spacer on a dual plane or single plane manifold because they experienced some issues as well.

WallaceMFG
06-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Thanks, his is an off idle hesitation also. He hasnt been driving it much, maybe a few hundred miles. I know he adjusted the accel pump/fast accel values but the problem still stuck around. Maybe it just needs more miles to work itself out. I noticed his car runs pretty cold after warmed up. Only hitting 160 after long drives. Wondering if this is effecting the system learning or if his coolant sensor is reading wrong. He wasn't sure what thermostat was in the car since he bought it recently and the factory coolant temp gauge only reads cold or hot.

I think the coolant temp has to be above 140*F for the self learning to be active, but I would have to look at the instructions again to verify.

Do you watch engine masters on YouTube or motortrend. They have one about about the throttle body style EFI units. If he's running a dual plane manifold that may be part of the issue. They recommended running a spacer on a dual plane or single plane manifold because they experienced some issues as well.

Both of the engines I've worked on with them had dual planes, no spacer, so that can be worked around.

The biggest issue the dual plane can cause with TBI is cold start problems from the fuel condensing in the runners before getting to the cylinders. In that respect, it's no different than a carb. That being said, the large intake on the FE motor could make the issue more pronounced than something like a SBC of SBF.

TheJDMan
06-22-2018, 01:05 PM
If he is only seeing 160deg engine coolant temp he needs to address that problem first. ECT needs to be at least 180deg.