PDA

View Full Version : Chip Foose doing Overhaulin across the street!

Streetking
09-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Last week, the Overhauling crew was filming at a shop across the street from my office. I tried to go over, but it was a "closed set". They restored a GTO convertable. The owner is our local bike rider, Lance Armstrong. Sheryl Crow, his gf, bought it for him and Foose and his crew rebuilt it. I'll try and sneak a few pictures later.

SW

LowBuckX
09-21-2004, 05:47 AM
you know this is BS. wasnt the premis of the show to take a everyday joe schmos car and fix it up? Someone that normaly wouldnt have the means to do so not a mega rich person who could sneeze hard and squirt out the cash for such a project?

BADVELLE
09-21-2004, 05:57 AM
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

What can you do? You knew that eventually it would come to this! I was under the same impression, take the everyday guy or gal and make their dream come true. One of the best for this purpose was when they did the Corvette for the lady that rec'ed it from her dad years ago. Great story, makes for great watching. Not the "lets go out and buy a car for my boyfriend and have Foose and the boys overhaul it! My guess would be that this is a production company call, not Foose! He seems to really take this show seriously and shows some real emotion when the cars are unveiled!

ProdigyCustoms
09-21-2004, 06:09 AM
So you guys thought Ian Zerring was an everyday guy? He was the 90210 guy that got the black flamed Camaro done. I think the first show? Or one of the first shows?
However, I do agree, it is much cooler when they do it for someone that will never achive this dream.

Noel67
09-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Hey SW,
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know the details though, the person who told me was sworn to secrecy. Very cool for Austin.

Noel

camcojb
09-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Hey, yell across the street for him to answer my e-mail!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Jody

Richz68
09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
The show has NEVER been realistic..... I like the show overall.... hate the corny hosts!!

I just feel bad for those who have taken time to enter themselves or loved oones to have their car "Tricked out"...... it is all about having connections. The worst aspect is that one a small fraction of the owners thus far appear to actually be true car enthusiasts and know and understand what was done for them.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Steve1968LS2
09-21-2004, 07:16 AM
you know this is BS. wasnt the premis of the show to take a everyday joe schmos car and fix it up? Someone that normaly wouldnt have the means to do so not a mega rich person who could sneeze hard and squirt out the cash for such a project?

It was never about that.. not really..

I have a friend with a shop in Fooses area.. most all of the people picked for that show are "friends of friends".. Like a producers cousin or they have some sort of "in"..

Like Lance and Cheryl couldn't afford to build their own car.. I think the show would be way cooler if they took the cars of gear heads that LOVE hot cars but for some reason or another can't afford to fix up thier dream car..

But I still enjoy the show.. and I get a little sad that my car cant be done in 7 days ;)

Streetking
09-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Ya, you guys are right. I was hoping it was a local kid that dreamed of having his car just painted but then have it totally redone.. They were here for two weeks for setup ect. The shop across the street is just a general maintance shop, nothing special, but now they consider themselves car "experts".. Funny thing is, the car came back yesterday because it wasn't running right... :doh:

SW

ZZ430
09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Lance and Cheryl make more interesting viewing in the producer's minds.

Hey, I frankly don't care if the "victim" is needy or not, I just enjoy the incredible talents of Foose on display.

my69rocks
09-21-2004, 09:13 AM
I like the show too. But it is way better when they actually do it for "a mark" who couldn't afford to do it any time soon or may not know how to do so.

My wife and I submitted my son and his 81 Z-28 for a chance encounter with the Foose. Living on the east coast leaves alot of doubt in mind :dunno: we'll ever see them here even though they say that they plan to go abroad. Every body has been on the west coast.

DLinson
09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm with Don, I just like to watch Foose and the team design and build a car. I told my wife I wouldn't want them to take my car and fix it up, I'd rather work with Foose for a week and help build someone else's car. I would get more out of that than just owning a nice car and the only thing I could say I did to it was wash and wax it. If Chip would like to come over and help my on my Nova, he's more than welcome, he could bring along Troy too.

Dennis

Richz68
09-21-2004, 09:58 AM
PSSSST......... :secret: There is a killer show on it's way to TV that will be super cool and it will address the NEEDS of true car guy viewers.

It's even being filmed east of the Mississippi !!!! :git:

Streetking
09-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Well Rich, we are waiting.... :seizure:

SW

MrQuick
09-21-2004, 07:51 PM
hey can you guys pass the "hateraid"? I don't care who gets overhauled either. Im there for the cool Foose stuff.
Did we all forget the rockabilly chick with the Chevy II? The couple with the Vette? The volunter sp?fire rescue kid and his pick em up? The goofy surfer kid,wait his parents were rich, scratch that one... The old guy with the fast back? the well its on gotta go.....

Richz68
09-21-2004, 07:58 PM
The new show will be out this fall and I will be sure to post the air times and channel info when it comes out.

:woot: :woot:

DanT69
09-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I think it is simply car media reality, I believe there is certainly a "old boys club". I meen read any or most of Primedias car magazines, as I do, and you will soon see the same names appearing in featured car articles and even sometimes in readers rides sections. I dont believe its coincidental either, but, does this bother me? No not really, Its just reality and it just comes down to knowing the right people.

All I would like to see now on Overhaul'n are some lesser known muscle cars, and maybe some out of the mainstream kind of like the El Camino they did. Also a '80 Malibu would be cool. Oh, and if they just want take my car and repaint it that would be nice.

Pro-touring towncar
09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I accualy turned in my wifes Crown vic for an overhaul but them doing a crown vic for a poor working family living in an apartment is too much to ask. Oh Well, we got the town car that runs it may take us years to finish but that is what makes it fun.
I may just keep entering it, yeah never know persistance may pay off.

Tim

Little Bob
09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
I like the show too, but I think it would be better if the hostest was in a bikini during the build. Sorry had to be said.

I would like to see a Custom car build off. With Chip Foose and other supreme builders.

Ok I'm just babling now, Bye

PeteRR
09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I like Foose a lot, but practically every vehicle has been a GM product. I stopped watching because of it.

Streetking
09-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Here is the car they were doing...:secret:

SW

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/standard-1.jpg

F70t/a
09-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Nice car. I cant wait for the show :git:

CHILI
09-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Here is the car they were doing...:secret:

SW

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/standard-1.jpg

Sorry, But I can't wait until this giant rim craze is over with.

Pzary3233
09-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Does anyone see anything majorly wrong with the front end alignment on that car... it bothers me... it reminds me of the ricers when they lower their cars... yeah the huge rim craze needs to go away... 17's, 18's and SOME 19's are ok... But anymore and what's the point?

ryans67deuce
09-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Nice Dub's..... :hammer:

next69
09-24-2004, 07:45 AM
I would have to agree with you guys watching the talent of Chip Foose in action is very inspiring However, I am a little dissapointed in the direction of the show. I don't think you should watch the show and recognize millionaire celebrities this should be for the people that under different circumstances would not even know who Chip was. As for the rules, I entered my brothers car and on the application one of the stipulations was that the car had to be operational, if you remember Ian Zehrings car it came in boxes and was missing just about everything, I wonder if the fact that the host co-starred in 90210 with him had anything to do with it?

Streetking
09-24-2004, 08:44 AM
I watched this car go down the road, it lopks like it has no suspension at all, real bouncy.. I think there is also a limit to rim size. Those look too big. I know there is alot of room on the rear of the GTO's, they should have put on some wider/shorter rims...

SW

ZZ430
09-24-2004, 11:05 AM
I like that GTO...a lot.

Even though I'm old, the rims look good to me.

I do wonder just how driveable the car is though.

Geeto67
09-24-2004, 01:09 PM
oh my god....they ruined it....majorly. Normally I am a big fan of Foose's work but that car is a monstrosity, took a perfectly good looking GTO design and *****ed it up. That's no pro touring that's pro ghetto.

I think the off camber wheel is just the pavement, it looks to be a weird angle in the pavement plus at a weid angle to the camera. Still it does look troublesome.

TYERFRYER
09-24-2004, 01:20 PM
That car looks like it came from the show PIMP MY RIDE!

Pro-touring towncar
09-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah, should have gone a little more suttle with the car. the GTO is a classic muscle car, especialy the Verts. Well the no talent wannabe country B!tch sheryl crow is involved with it.

Tim

Air Daddy
09-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Say SW,
The article in today's newspaper was a real shocker. Half the work on that car was done at Richard Woods shop (Custom Car Crafters)
He got ZERO credit for him and his employees efforts by Colvin. A friend of ours GTO was used for mock- up at Richards shop. He also shuttled Foose between the two shops, many times during rush hour traffic. He said that some of the Foose crew were kind of snobs but Foose himself was very cool and down to earth. When I first found out that Ovehaulin was at Colvin's shop I thought you and Chris were in on it some how.
If you haven't seen the newspaper article yet, check it out.
It is ..........aggravating.

Streetking
09-26-2004, 07:27 AM
That's typical Colvin style. He takes all the credit, doesn't ever give props to anyone else that deserves it.. They have never built anything that runs well, all their "project" cars have never won anything, this is the first bit of publicity they have ever really had and now they have really big heads..

SW

TonyL
09-26-2004, 10:02 AM
I like the rims, the GTO is a giant car, so the giant rims make it look smaller. as long as those rims have the stopping power behind them, (im sure they do). they are fine.

Noone said that overhaulin' was a pro-touring only show. theve done a lowrider, and a 4x4. its an enthusiast show. made for the individual car owners taste. how do we know that the owner wouldnt want his car to sport DUBs? c'mon guys lighten up. be glad that the car hobby is more popular now than ever, sit back and reap the rewards.

DanT69
09-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I like the color, though if it were mine I think I would have to get rid of those foose dub's and put on some Fikse wheels.

hotrodgary
09-27-2004, 04:48 AM
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!

I like the car....I like the wheels.....I dont care for the rubberband tires!

I do think people get carried away with big wheels, but I dont mind them if they put some tires on with some sidewalls!

Thats my .02cents
Later, Gary

Geeto67
09-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Ok, here are my peeves with the car:

1. They monochromed the car - Normally a 1970 GTO has a body colored front bumper but they look funny when the rear is also body color. It doesn't bother me so much that they painted the rear bumper body color as much as it bothers me that they left the taillight housings chrome as well as the convertable top trim while shaving or painting all the other trim. These trim pieces were not designed to be good looking but to dress up or hide other problems with the car's body (the taillight housings were chrome because the bumper was chrome - now they just look like a set of low tech altezzas, the convertible molding was put there to hide the gaps and sloppy stamping of the sheetmetal, combined with the other chrome on the car it usually doesn;t look out of place, when it is the only trim on the car it looks weird and ugly).

2. The exhaust looks funny, ricer funny. I can understand the need for unique pipes but having a dual outlet on each side where one outlet is shorter than the other looks sloppy. I'm not saying it should look symetrical, but this makes it look like the muffler shop cut the pipes the wrong length.

3. The wheels are way too big to be practical in any kind of perf enviornment. The car will probably get less traction than with a smaller rim with more give in the sidewall. I have nothign agains big rims but those are too cartoonish to be taken seriously.

4. The body is plain. They shaved everything off and apinted it a flat color. Unlike the earlier GTOs which have defined creases on otherwise flat sheetmetal, the 1970 is very round and with a dark color the rounded muscular bulges get lost in the field of black paint. The car now looks more like an amorphous blob than a muscle car. Not saying that shaving the emblems and trim isn't a good idea, but the car needs something to redefine it's shape.

Ok the things I like:

1. the body is arrow straight - nice bodywork always looks killer
2. I like the mercedes cloth top, with what looks like a glass back window.
3. I like the flush mounted and blacked out markers, those early marker lights always looked like an afterthought from the factory.
4. Not sure yet but it looks like the car might have a slightly raked foward stance, I like that kind of stance.

That being said, I don't think Sheryl Crow's talent has anythign to do with building cars, nor does Lance Armstrong's ability to ride a bike. If lance is happy with the car, its his car and I hope he gets a lot of use out of it. It's just not how I would build a GTO.

Steve1968LS2
09-27-2004, 06:45 AM
I was talking to friend of mine that has a shop in the area where they do alot of the overhaulin shows.. he knows quite a few of the shops..

Fun story on that silver corvette they did. I guess the car was at the vette shop for a week or two after the show getting all the bugs worked out. I also heard that the owner didnt like the valve covers and air cleaner (cant remember them) so they changed them out.

Oh, and guess what.. all those people that are "surprised" buy getting their cars done for "free" are also surprised by getting 1099'd to the IRS! The lady with the vette was 1099'd in the amount of $85,000 to the IRS so she had to pay like that was additional income.. I would imagine that bill to the govt was somewhere near $20,000.. I would also toss you into a completely new tax bracket so the cost could even be more. Getting you car done by the show is treated just like you won cash in the lottery..

Just something to ponder.. nothing is free :)

Pro-touring towncar
09-27-2004, 08:43 AM
speaking of chelbs getting ***** done, Lance Armstong is getting a bike done on American chopper also.

Tim

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-27-2004, 05:08 PM
-begin rant......

Streetking, why do you have to bash? There's a closed set for a reason, and obviously its a good thing it was closed to you.

Everyone has made all of these critiques from one poorly lit, off angle, across the street shot of the car. Those who comment seem to know how it was built, what was intended, how it should have been done, and how they would have done it. I can tell you, most are wrong on their observations. Why not wait until the show airs, or until the car can be viewed in person to make the critiques.

As far as newspaper articles go, all those who were involved in the build signed a non-disclosure agreement, so whoever leaked news for the article either didn't really know much, or was smart enough to not leak enough to get caught. Why should Colvin give credit to anyone? Its not his show, he was one of a large group of talented folks who all worked equally hard on this project. Its up to the producers of the show to give credit where credit is due.

Steve makes my next point, helping out the guy who "needs" it sounds great on the surface, but that guy doesn't need the responsibility that goes with it. He/she drove a clunker because they couldn't afford to fix it up, then their 5k car turns into a 150k car and the 145k tax and insurance burden that comes along with it. They don't know how to care for a rolling piece of art, and probably don't have a place to safely store it either. TLC is a business, not a charity, and people want variety. There's no mistaking the positive impact these shows have on our hobby/industry and they're not going to please everyone with every show. You have to admit, they've struck on quite a variety of automotive niches.

As for the car, without going into detail, it was done in seven days, it was done right, and it worked well (not perfect) when finished. It only needed tuning (suspension and carb) when finished. A lot of guys DONATED INSANE HOURS to this and other projects, and the least you could do is not bash the result until you have enough information.

Enough for now, I'll probably have plenty to say after the show airs.

By the way, I love this site and remember the good ol days when everyone had something positive to say.

-end rant

KrisHorton
09-27-2004, 06:03 PM
I think Kul Fir Chick N (did I get all that right???) makes some good points. I've rolled my eyes at several episodes of Overhaulin' before, but in the end, still tune in and enjoy the show every week. I think what a lot of people want to see is more of a "Pimp my Ride" with class. Basically, trick out the car without making it a high-maitenence beauty queen. Take some poor shmuck's car and make it nice enough that it gets compliments and isn't a big joke. Instead of throwing stereo equipment at it, give it a nice paint job, overhaul or replace the engine, and work out most of the squeaks and rattles. I think that would be a good show. I don't see Overhaulin' satisfying that demand though...they think a lot bigger. Associating a big name like Foose alone drives the value of the car up immensely (unfortunately...) and then throwing in all of the man hours it takes to do it in 7 days, you're not going to get a $10-$20K ride, more like $60-$70K+ which is a lot to handle for the average guy.

If they wanted to overhaul Overhaulin' I think they need a little less drama or perhaps keep the drama and cut down on showing the hosts acting stupid. We get it already...haha, it got old after the first few episodes. A lot of the people who tune in watch it for the cars or because it is interesting. It is called The Learning Channel for a reason. I have learned a bit about disassembly, assembly, and even a bit of design by watching the shows, but who wants to learn anything about acting like a sleazy tow truck driver that seems to desparately want to get some. Drama is good for entertainment value, but it needs to be toned down a bit...

That's my 2 cents on that. As far as Ian Ziering and Lance Armstrong getting their cars done...whoop-dee-doo. Good for them. Hopefully they don't take the cars for granted and actually hop in and drive them!

Streetking
09-27-2004, 07:37 PM
KUL FIR CHICK N

First off, I wasn't bashing, I have no problem with it being a closed set. You might want to include almost everyone that posted on this thread in your bashing statement.I do think Colvin should have given some props to Richard Wood from Car Crafters for his part of the build, since they are friends and work "together" on several projects. I have no control about anyone's comments of the picture that was posted, everyone's entitled to their opinion. As far as information, I know Colvin and his work better than you, since he used to lease a building from me years ago...

I feel privileged that you used your 1st ever post to flame me...

SW

socalfandabodys
09-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Just wanted to say I think Lance deserved the car. GHe has donated 15 million to fight cancer and has also represented the usa and beat everyone else for the past 6 times in the tour de france

MrQuick
09-27-2004, 07:50 PM
bashing? I missed that... lets all take a deap breath and hold it while I type shall we...
Sheryl Crow ... that "Steve Mc Queen" song ROCKS!!!!
Lance Armstrong .. he likes ten speeds, maybe he wanted his car to look like one? It looks good.
If a celeb has the money let him have fun with it... f@#k!, I'd be very happy if one of us made it. Live it up...atleast they aren't a pair of debutaunghts( spell check please ) travelling the country making fun of the less fortunate, wasting money on clothes and jewlrey while schools shut down. 175k on a friday night shopping spree... come on.

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-27-2004, 08:06 PM
SK, I didn't see the article but the way you talk, K.C. actually gave the interview. If that's the case, there were over 40 people from several companies who put a lot of time in on the car who deserve mention. I personally put in over 65hr in a four day period on the car. Several others worked 20hr days for seven days straight. Again, Colvin hosted the build, but the producers of the show are all who need to give credit.

By the way, been a member for over a year, not my first post. Not flaming you, just aggrivated with those who speak w/o complete info.

I saw your place, lots o cool rides!

Streetking
09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Vince, you always seem to have levelheaded posts. I know your in Ca. and it's earlier there, are you still at happy hour?? :Alchy:

Take care,

SW

MrQuick
09-27-2004, 11:49 PM
every hour is happy hour in cali ! :seizure: too much salt air im guessing -- plus im going to Hawaii next week :cheers:

Zefhix
09-28-2004, 12:13 AM
I know that some people are making a few assumptions but I also know that it has to be hard to hear people disagree with your hard work, but everyone is entitled to thier opinion, ill informed or not. Just like you. To say that one person is more likely to care better for a "rolling piece of art" than another based soley on the fact that they can normally afford one is the funniest thing I ever read...I've seen fourteen year-olds take better care of their "beaters" than those that can and do afford the likes of Foose and Troy. Neglect and abuse are one in the same to me.
The people that really can't afford it are the driving force in this 8 billion dollar-a-year indusrty. "They" are the bread & butter, the loyalest of them all because "they" are the repeat buyer. "They" don't jump ship for the next biggest craze or TV show; "they" are the passion that drives this hobby. I'll start taking bets on the number of miles that "rolling piece of art" gets on it...ever.
You can keep you well stored car, I'm building mine to share with everyone. I'm not trying to be rude but Chip alone is not worth watching that show to me anymore. I have a hard time with it, understanding now the negative impact the show really has on the hobby.

CHILI
09-28-2004, 05:05 AM
It's just a TV show.

MrQuick
09-28-2004, 06:55 AM
heres something to think about... how many youngsters out get inspired by these shows then become the new "they" crowd. Im willing to bet its more than the guys who just mantle them. How many projects have you've heard of fall to the waste side due to lack of funds? How many get unfinished then sold as parts due to lack of funds? Its just a show but it might just be informative to some. I thought it was a show for Foose to get a car and with a build team do the close to imposible to surprise the owner? sounds like fun to me...

Zefhix
09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
heres something to think about... how many youngsters out get inspired by these shows then become the new "they" crowd. Im willing to bet its more than the guys who just mantle them. How many projects have you've heard of fall to the waste side due to lack of funds? How many get unfinished then sold as parts due to lack of funds? Its just a show but it might just be informative to some. I thought it was a show for Foose to get a car and with a build team do the close to imposible to surprise the owner? sounds like fun to me...

Vince, you're definitely right about that. I know they watch it and are probably inspired. It does expose a side of the hobby that is exciting that alot of people aren't familiar with. That why we build our cars, right? To inspire others? :cool:
I just re-read my post and I sound kind-of like a jerk but that wasn't my intention. Sorry, just opinionated on a few small things.... :guilty:

rob07002
09-28-2004, 09:38 AM
OK Here is my $.02 I like the show but wish they would center more attention on the CAR and the buildup. The 35+ minutes wasted on the tricking the "mark" stuff is really anoying. Plus that host guy is a real moron, imo. I really can't watch the show in its entirety while they pull all these stunts. I know they want to have drama to make for "good tv" but c'mon. Also I have a big problem with celebs getting their cars done... they have the money, in most cases the time.... and certainly the connections to get their cars done the way the rest of us schlepps have to. Third, if someone took my car without my consent and put $70+ grand into it and then hit me with a 1099 for the whole thing well two words "LAW SUIT". I watch the first 10 min and the last 10 min... thats it the rest is a waste.....

Oh BTW if any TV producers are reading I have an idea for a real comon guy car show:

Its me with a bunch of my buddies who work (and drink beer) our a$$es of during the week to scrape together a few bucks to put into our cars( without the wife getting her hands on it) then we wrench on them in small garages all weekend and drink beer... them we drive the ***** out of them(once sober of course) until they break or become too slow(then drink some more beer)...then the whole process starts over..... Think of it as King of the Hill meets Overhaulin

Well what do ya think.....is it a hit or what!!!!

slck6t9
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Lance must be a lucky guy. Not only is he getting this car done but they are building him a bike on American Chopper these next two weeks.

68LSS1
09-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Its me with a bunch of my buddies who work (and drink beer) our a$$es of during the week to scrape together a few bucks to put into our cars( without the wife getting her hands on it) then we wrench on them in small garages all weekend and drink beer... them we drive the ***** out of them(once sober of course) until they break or become too slow(then drink some more beer)...then the whole process starts over..... Think of it as King of the Hill meets Overhaulin

Sorry, you can't do that. You just described my life's story. Yeah I know, probably almost every gearhead on here life's story.

redsand
09-29-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure he is lucky....I know a lot of you guys would give your right nut to have a car done by foose... But he actually did give his right nut due to cancer.. Not sure he is lucky, they are also holding his 5 million dollar bonus for winning the tour defrance due to performance enhancing drug speculation.......