PDA

View Full Version : turbochargers in NHRA?

gmachinz
09-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Okay, let's start a discussion on when (or if) you think NHRA will embrace this type of forced induction. I got to really thinking about it after reading the little piece on Mike Moran in the latest Hot Rod mag. He really feels like he will be the first in the 5's and that NHRA will have to accept them in say five or ten years. I come to the same conclusion that he was hinting at. That is, once they are faster across the board that typically NOS'd cars, people (race teams) will gradually make the changeover to a turbocharged application. The other end of this is, what will happen when sponsors drop NOS, ect. from their budgets? Think 20 years from now-what will be the "power-adder" of choice? Okay, I'm done. -Jabin

ProdigyCustoms
09-21-2004, 07:06 AM
There is no professional NHRA class that uses nitrous right now. "Class" being a spec class with requirements and limitations to compete heads up on a points system for a NHRA championship. ProMod is still an exhibition class and does not crown a NHRA champion. And there is already a ProMod car in the 5s, however it is questionable if it was at legal weight or not, and was also in mine shaft air.
I have not had time to read the article, but I have talked with Moran before. I am pretty sure Moran's 5 second pass, is talking about "street legal racing," and that is loaded with turbos already. World Street Finals is here in Orlando is just a few weeks away, I can't wait! Moran usually brings some crazy project since there are very loose rules for WSF. We will be there with probably the only car drivin there to the "street races". Also, the Fast Ford world, Pro 5.0 guys, are almost all turbo and centrifugal blowers.
Turbos would not be beneficial in top fuel or funny car, as they already make way more HP then they can handle. The adjustability of the boost would be nice, being able to leave soft and put power down as the track can take it, but they do that with clutch timing and ignition retard already. NHRA DOES NOT want top fuel or funny car to go any faster anyway, no racers do either. In fact, NHRA continues taking away things to slow them down.
So with all that said, I doubt turbos will find a professional NHRA class and NHRA does not have room for a new class, ask the Pro stock truck guy's about that!
I think the next big induction change we may see in NHRA will be fuel injection for Pro Stock. Pro Stock cars are safe to go a little faster, however, NHRA may continue to repress this also in an effort to keep racers cost down.

MarkM66
09-21-2004, 07:53 AM
I think the next big induction change we may see in NHRA will be fuel injection for Pro Stock. Pro Stock cars are safe to go a little faster, however, NHRA may continue to repress this also in an effort to keep racers cost down.

Warren Johnson has been quoted, that moving to EFI will actually slow the cars down some. Benifit being reliability, and tuneablility. Carbs make more power then EFI.

Moran was suppose to be at Indy US Nationals for some tuning, and a 5 second run. Not sure on the results.

nancejd
09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I thought that WJ said that the slow down would be temporary as they learned how to tune for max power. It would be interesting to see if they would allow it in lieu of supercharging or nitro in TAD.

shmoov69
09-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I have a friend that drives a top fuel digger in NHRA (not enough $ to be competitive tho) and the issue of them slowing the cars down is because tire technology is not good enough to be safe at over 300mph consistantly. It is ok the first pass (usually) on a new set of tires, but not another pass. The tires are ripping apart where they "wrinkle" in the sidewalls trying to hold the insane speeds and power. That is what killed Daryll Russell, a chunk of tire slapped THRU his helmet at the big end. They have changed tire sytles about 6-8 times this year alone
But, I have seen somewhere on the net of a turbocharged nitro powered funny car making crazy power, but like what was said, power is not the issue.
Jimmy

SDMAN
09-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Fuel injection in Pro Stock? I doubt it. Holley spends a lot of money supporting that class (remember the Holley 6 second club?). Unless a fuel injection manufacturer (a good one) steps up to replace that cash and support, youre going to see carburetors on the Pro Stock cars for many years to come. Politics and money govern these kinds of decisions. Dont get me wrong, Id love to see the change. Just dont think it will be anytime soon.

ProdigyCustoms
09-23-2004, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=SDMAN]Fuel injection in Pro Stock? I doubt it. Holley spends a lot of money supporting that class (remember the Holley 6 second club?). QUOTE]
Actually, it is Barry Grant that has steped up the last few years, ever hear of the King Demon Crown? Holley has been less interested. It will take a good FI company to develope a product that will work, and they are out there. If you have ever seen a Pat Musi motor, they are fuel injected mega 700 inch monsters, and they run!
I agree it may be some time before we see it, but I still think it is the most likely change in induction in professional catagories.