PDA

View Full Version : Kind of in a hurry for an answer to this one.

JoshStratton
12-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Probably should have put it in the emergency section, but oh well.

I am building a body cart for my 79 TA. I have a guy coming tomorrow with his welder to weld together my pieces. I was going to do it but I dont trust myself with anything that important.

Anyways...I am going to use 2 of the vertical bumper bolt holes for the rear cart supports. The fronts have me baffled. I plan on using the 2 front-most subframe bolt holes, but I cannot think, for the life of me, how to attach the posts to them. Does anyone have any ideas. I realize this pic is a first gen, but how do you think he did it?

Any ideas are VERY much appreciated!

nancejd
12-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Don't know if this helps (it's hard to see the detail), but what I did was use a vertical post, and welded a triangular shaped tab to it at the top with a hole drilled through it for the subframe bolt. It looks kind of like an upside down "L" with the angle gussetted.

JoshStratton
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Dude. You freggin ROCK! OMG I CANNOT tell you how much I racked my brain over this. Excellent idea! I will do just that, and I appreciate it!

nancejd
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
No problem. Good luck on your project, and make sure you post some pics of what you come up with.

parsonsj
12-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Yep, listen to James. Use at least 3/16" thick steel for the tab and gusset.

jp

MrQuick
12-03-2005, 05:01 PM
you can also make pinch plates to mount to your pinch welds so you can mount the front subframe if you needed to.

JoshStratton
12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Sorry Vince. I am not quite sure what you mean. Something like this?

I think I am pretty set on what I am going to do, but I am still interested in other options.

MrQuick
12-03-2005, 08:41 PM
just like that....ive built a couple carts and the good ones allow you to assemble the car on them.

yody
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
just like that....ive built a couple carts and the good ones allow you to assemble the car on them.
are the cars STILL sitting on them :)???

MrQuick
12-03-2005, 10:29 PM
do you ever post anything that helps? get a job already!

yody
12-03-2005, 10:32 PM
too busy for a job!

Jim Nilsen
12-04-2005, 09:32 AM
I was looking at the way they tie down straps were done on the cart that the car was on the trailer. It's the first photo you put up.

For those of you who don't do a lot of rigging I want you to know that you should always wrap the tie down or chain around the post or up right at least one wrap to keep the object in question from sliding from one side to the other. The way that the cart is tied down in the pic it can slide from side to side on the trailer which is not a good thing.

Wrapping the tie down around each post would have been the best to keep it cinched up and centered. I hope you all understand what I am saying. Having moved machinery for a living for awhile taught me to do what it is I am saying so we could keep things from falling over that were tall and narrow.

Jim Nilsen