PDA

View Full Version : saginaw info?

my72vette454
12-02-2005, 01:03 PM
I tore up my old saginaw 4 speed and just swapped another one in for now. I opened the old one up and the teeth are gone on the input shaft and on the corresponding gear on the countershaft, also the input shaft bearing was split and the front snout was broke. I wanted to run the car on a dyno just for fun but I dont want to tear up my trans again until I get the 4l80e ready to go in so I wanted some oppinions on the trans, whats the chance of breaking somthing if I run it in fourth gear? In first and second the tires break loose so easy that I think I am kinda safe, in third gear boost comes up at about 65 mph and alot of the time it will break them loose again but going that fast if they dont break loose there is a lot of torque being applied through the input and the countershaft. In fourth where the input and output are just locked together, how stout is the connection? Do I dare run it at full power on a dyno where there wont be any real shock on the trans such as dropping the clutch ect?

Mike

JodysTransmissions
12-04-2005, 07:11 PM
In fourth where the input and output are just locked together, how stout is the connection? Do I dare run it at full power on a dyno where there wont be any real shock on the trans such as dropping the clutch ect?

Mike

Mike,

You are correct and this is as strong as you are going to get by doing the dyno in 4th. Will it last? Who knows.

I remember you playing with these saginaws for awhile in that Vette of yours! You might have been better selling all of your saginaws and look for a Muncie upgrade for an easy stronger replacement. Sounds like your better get that automatic ready.

Have fun,

Jody