PDA

View Full Version : Racing Harness for Street Use

Yanchik
04-08-2018, 01:22 PM
I’ve been thinking of installing a 4-point racing harness into my 70 Skylark. For the longest time I didn’t think it would be possible because I plan on driving passengers in the rear, and the horizontal bar (cage) will be in the way of back seat access.

Fortunately, I’ve seen the horizontal bars which are detachable, allowing back seat access. I have also seen some videos where guys have racing harnesses stitched into the actual bucket seat. And I’ve thought of doing this, but I’m questioning the safety aspect of that. I feel like they’ll rip out of the seat during impact.

Is there a safe way to go about installing a racing harness AND be able to drive passengers in the back seat if needed?

Any input is greatly appreciated !

mike@sim-seats
04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Unless you are using the schroth 4-pt harness that allows one side to stretch in a crash 4-pt harnesses are never safe. There is no way to wear one in a manner that will keep the load in your hips. They will ride up and put the load into your gut. You might walk away from a bad crash, but you will likely suffer internal bleeding.

5 or 6-pt harnesses are only a good idea if you are using all the other applicable equipment (helmet and some kind of head/neck restraint).

Addressing your specific question about installation and rear passengers, you are correct. There is no way to install the harnesses (in a motorsports compliant manner) without putting some kind of bar in that would make it dangerous for passengers. I have seen a type of harness bar that used front and rear seat mounting bolts (it could be taken out fairly easily), but I cannot recall who makes it or whether it was compliant for any motorsports use.

If you are only using the harness for autocross, and keep the 3-pt belts, then it's cool. The odds of a major impact during autocross are nearly zero.