PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place for metal?

madmax
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I did a search, but couldn't find anything. My car recently, uh, was broken out of the bodyshop it was in because nothing was being done to it. We cound a guy that is going to do it for us.. he does good work, but only for his buddies and whatnot. He isin't a dealer or anyhting, so I need to buy the metal for him.

Where is the cheapest place to get it? I'm looking for repro suff, not NOS. I called Classic Industries and they said they could probably get me 15-20% off their cataloge and free shipping and no tax (even though normally they won't discount their body parts). I need the whole shebang. Quarters, fenders, floor, roof skin... EVERYTHING basically. I might be able so save a door, but if im going that far with the rest of the car, what the hell. Well, except for the firewall :lmao:

Thanks everyone,
Max

Travis B
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I like goodmark pieces........

67bird
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I personally use Gene's General Store in Fremont, Indiana. I bought almost every Goodmark piece for my Firebird. He saved me in the neighborhood of about $2400.00 on the parts. I have also had good luck with Muscle Express out of St. Jupiter, Fl. for some Dynacorn stuff. You can contact Danny or Rob there. Danny was very helpful when I ordered parts. I think they also do work there as well. lastly, Restoration World in Huber heights, Ohio is also very good on prices on the Dynacorn stuff as well.

madmax
12-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks a lot Ben, I'll check them out. I might even be able to pick the parts up from Muscle Express if they charge a lot for shipping. That is one of the nice parts of CI - free shipping over $1k I think.

What is everyone's view on Dynacorn vs. Goodmark?

Also, where is the best place to get glass? I don't want a cheap P.O.S., but I also want to pay as little as possible :)

Thanks,
Max

toxicz28
12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
free shipping over $1k I think.
Only on UPS shippable items. Truck frieght, (quarters, fenders, hoods, etc) I believe they charge you for.

madmax
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Only on UPS shippable items. Truck frieght, (quarters, fenders, hoods, etc) I believe they charge you for.

This is normally true, but the rep I talked to would have just about done anything to get that $4k order. He offered free shipping and 15%+ off.

mikey
12-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Theres been somebody listing a 69 Camaro sheetmetal package on Ebay I usually run accross it once a week . Not sure about the shipping details though.

madmax
12-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I just checked them out on eBay and they are only a couple bucks cheaper than Classic's list prices. Plus they are in Oregon, just about the farthest away you can get from FL where I am.

Happyfunballs
12-05-2005, 08:13 AM
If you have a first gen Camaro check out Rick's First Generation in Athens GA.

madmax
12-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks - I'm compiling prices from CI, Goodmark. Year 1, NPD, and Rick's and will post my results when I'm done.

blackbeast
12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
couple of year ago, i bought all my sheetmetal from D&R classic auto. Called all the big resto houses, and they gave me the biggest discount. I think they game me 2o% off on a 2,500 order. word of caution. You won't be able to get the discount if you forget some items. double check your lists, and the car and make sure you get everything ordered so it doesn't nickel and dime you later

Jim Nilsen
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Being in St. Louis I would also reccomend D&R since you could realistically drive there or meet them at a swap meet that might be closer to you.

Sheet metal always has a way of getting damaged somewhere on one piece or another, it just happens. Sometimes you can get lucky and get it all undamaged. The best way is to inspect it all when you pick it up so you know what it is you are getting.

The trip to D&R would cost you less or about the same as shipping unles the shipping is free, but you might be able to get a better price for pickup. I can't imagine it costing more than $100 round trip in a truck that gets decent mileage.

Jim Nilsen