PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen Console doesn't fit b/t seats

simmadown
11-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I have a 67 & just received a M6 console from a 2002 Camaro. I have stock seats & a Quicksilver shifter. The problem is the rear of the center console doesn't fit. It is getting jammed on the seat brackets & the seats themselves. Has anyone had this problem. I tried to push down as hard as I could & although it almost touched the tunnel, the console just pops back up. I fugured even if it stayued put, I wouldn't be able to move the backs up. It seems very tight. Anyways, thought maybe if I mounted it to the tunnel then it would stay put. How has others secured the console to the tunnel? Also, are the 69's wider b/t the seats than the 67's. I have seen a buch of pics of the 69, but none of the 67-68 camaro. I wonder if it actually fits. I'm afraid to push real hard thinking the plastic will crack.

Steve1968LS2
11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
If you look here you can see some bar stock welded to the trans tunnel.. this is where the bolts screwed into to hold the back of my console down..

Mine was snug at the wide part between the seats but the back was fine..

I don't know if am completely understanding your problem though.. Oh, I used a stock shifter..

simmadown
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Sorry about that. I have a hard time explaining myself. The problem is the rear part of the console doesn't seem to fit,. The part with the 2 cup holders & compartment lid is. It seems like the console is too wide to fit between the seats. It's very tight there. I thought I had researched where the console fits no problem. Right now the rear of the console is sitting about 2-3" above the trans tunnel. he front touches the carpet no problem.

73z-6sp
12-01-2005, 12:12 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. The width of the console at the rear is too wide to fit between your seats. I am using the LS1 console and it does fit fairly snug against my new seats. i never had the factory seats in with the console though. (Both of them that is)
Mine has a large gap between the center tunnel and the console. i.e. there is plenty of room to push the console in and gain the clearance I need. I am using the hand e-brake also so I cant go in as much as if you are not using the hand brake. My idea was to use a heat gun and heat the console from the back side and re-shape the plastic to gain some clearance. BUT...please check in a inconspicuous place before heating up that plastic. I hate to hear of anyone ruining a good console! There is a "sweet" spot where the plastic becomes pliable and then quickly will melt and ruin it. Best of luck. I think it is possible but be patient! :)

simmadown
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I see where the problem is now. The seat brackets that enable the seats to fold down stick out pretty far from the seat. The sides of the console are getting caught up on the metal bracket. May have to try your idea of using a heat gun at that spot so the plastic would be more pliable & slide in there. Otherwise may have to look for some LS1 seats to try.