PDA

View Full Version : I've Got A Steering Problem.

minendrews68
03-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Has anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this steering problem... I go to turn right and about 2:00 it gets hard to turn, if you let go of the steering wheel it will hold where it's at. It doesn't do it all the time but most of it. All factory '68 Camaro parts. I had a problem like this earlier but it made the whole steering act like there wasn't any power steering. I pulled the lines, cleaned the wire mesh filter and it worked great. After it was suggested to me to put a filter in the return line. That helped for quite some time. I really don't think this is the same problem. Also, from what I can tell it's not rubbing on anything.

On another note, has anyone had any problems with the Walbro 255 fuel pump kit? I had one just die on me with about 200 miles on it.

a67
03-04-2018, 05:08 AM
Check that the tie rod sleeve clamps are positioned correctly. Otherwise they can contact the frame. This is where tubular tie rod adjusters help, no need to adjust the clamp position. That and they help prevent rust from building up with the adjuster sleeve and tie rods. Bob.

minendrews68
03-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Thanks, I'll check. This hasn't always been a problem but just started a few months after I put the filter inline.

TheJDMan
03-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Carl, does your PS fluid smell burnt? It's not uncommon for these PS systems to overheat and I would think a filter would tend to restrict oil flow making heat an even bigger potential problem. I know I had a PS heat problem where any extended track time would result in no power steering and ultimately killed the pump. I added a fluid cooler, along with a new pump, and have not had a PS overheating problem in the year since. Maybe a fluid cooler might be in order.

Ryanater
03-04-2018, 08:33 PM
If there is only one spot that is hard to steer, could it possibly be the adjustment screw in the steering box is too tight? I did this once and the steering box would bind slightly when centered.

Rod
03-04-2018, 08:35 PM
might be a silly question but is the filter on right? most PS filters have a flow direction

and on the fuel pump I would add a return line into your system if you don't have it, not being a dead head system makes the pumps last longer

minendrews68
03-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Rod, yes the filter (inline) is oriented correctly in the return line.

Yes I do have a return line for fuel, it's 3/8" also.

Embarrassing as it is...... I have a confession to make. I don't think there is a problem with my fuel pump. I thought there was because it quit pumping but I pulled the car home and the first thing I checked was the first fuel filter, not dirty at all put everything back together and as I was getting out from under the car I accidentally bumped the bottom of the fuel tank and it sounded like it was entirely empty! That it was. Yes folks this turned out to be a "running out of gas" day. I sure don't like to admit it but that is what happened. The reason I didn't think about it sooner is because the fuel gauge showed almost 1/4 tank of fuel. I think when the guy that put my new tank in didn't set the floats right for the sending unit. Anyway, I put 5 gallons of gas and it started right up and been driving ever since. ( I know I'm going to catch it from everyone, but that is my oversight. lol)