PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Gear - is this iron or steel

Zachalanche
02-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Anyone out there a metallurgist? this gear is allegedly iron, but I am worried that it is steel since its all machined and there are no casting marks. I tried filing it to see how soft the material is (comparing it to two old cam shafts, one steel, one iron, also compared it to another cast gear), and I cant tell the difference. also tried smacking it with a wrench to see if it rings differently than another cast gear that I have, but its too hard to tell with it mounted on the distributor.

So? can any of you tell by the pic if this is iron or not?
Cheers.

rustomatic
02-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Looks like steel. This sounds like the old Ford (steel) roller cam vs. stock (iron) cam problem . . . They used to be like 15 bucks, though . . . Any pitting in the gear?

Zachalanche
02-27-2018, 01:44 PM
no pitting that I can see. which is why I am skeptical. The distributor was specifically advertised as having an iron gear. In fact, I sent the first one back because I thought it was steel, but the second one had the same gear. after quite a bit of internet searching, it looks like the iron gears aren't always left rough in places like the gears that came on older fords.