PDA

View Full Version : Got My Tru-Turn!

elwaupo
02-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Ok, I have a 69 SS Camaro that I’ve had for 20+ years and yeah everybody thinks it’s a cool car and I tell them that it’s nice to drive around the block but that’s about it. I’ve since converted it to EFI and that’s a lot better but it still handles like crap, only good for straight lines. I have the privalige of driving a 40 mile commute along the river with sweeping turns and finally expiranced “bumsteer”. I just purchased Ride Tech’s “True-Turn” system so I’ll keep everybody posted on how this works from a normal’s guys point of view.

I’m not planning on Auto Crossing this car but just making it a daily driver and having fun. 😎

btmatt
02-15-2018, 06:52 AM
I feel ya. Dad bought a '67 RS/SS 30 years ago. after many iterations it ended up in my hands a few years back with big block, automatic, spool and mostly stock suspension. It was a blast to go in a straight, but horrifying when you had to turn or stop. fast forward, we LS swapped it and completely updated suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. The car is a blast to drive with the only limiting factor now being the stock, flat seats.

True turn is a good start, but in conjunction with springs, good shocks, and modern tires, you will really wake that car up. Have fun

Rich G
02-15-2018, 01:29 PM
What are you using for control arms. I'm considering the tru-turn also. Have you done the Guldstrand Modification ?

elwaupo
02-16-2018, 01:55 AM
What are you using for control arms. I'm considering the tru-turn also. Have you done the Guldstrand Modification ?

I have Global West A Arms. I didn’t mention that I’m also changing out my power steering box to a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Box. I hear that’s a huge upgrade for these old cars. I’m planning on doing that first for the comparison then onto the suspension.

oleyeller
02-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Let us know how the True Turn works with the GW lower control arms, there may be some issues with the steering stops on the steering arms limiting your turning radius.

elwaupo
02-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Let’s hope not

elwaupo
02-16-2018, 07:43 AM

No I haven’t done that mod just the Global West

elwaupo
03-01-2018, 08:10 PM
I feel ya. Dad bought a '67 RS/SS 30 years ago. after many iterations it ended up in my hands a few years back with big block, automatic, spool and mostly stock suspension. It was a blast to go in a straight, but horrifying when you had to turn or stop. fast forward, we LS swapped it and completely updated suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. The car is a blast to drive with the only limiting factor now being the stock, flat seats.

True turn is a good start, but in conjunction with springs, good shocks, and modern tires, you will really wake that car up. Have fun

What size tires and wheels are you running? I’d like to run 17” or 18” wheels and go as wide as I can.

btmatt
03-02-2018, 06:58 AM
C5 Z06 wheels and tires; plenty of room in the rear with mini-tubs, but front is tight149841

elwaupo
03-03-2018, 03:53 AM
Looks good, mine’s not mini tubbed but I think I can run up to a 9” in the rear and 8’ up front and that’s good enough for me, how is your turning radius?

btmatt
03-03-2018, 05:46 PM
It's not bad; similar to prior having the Camaro steering box.

elwaupo
03-10-2018, 06:50 AM
Ok so RideTech is not the best at customer service so I’ll ask you guys, I’m going to change out my stock Rally 15” Wheels to 17” or 18” wheels and want to know how wide I can go in the front and back? I’m thinking of sticking with an 8” wide in the front, how much back space is really my question for that. And the rear, how wide and back space?

dhutton
03-10-2018, 07:04 AM
I used 255 on an 8.5 wheel up front and a 275 on a 9.5 in the rear. 5 backspacing up front, 5.5 rear.

Double check the backspacing pending what brake offsets you have....

Don

130fe
03-10-2018, 05:16 PM
For the fronts, run an 8 with either 4.75 or 4 7/8 bs. With your 69 and stock width rear stock tubs you can run a 9.5 wheel in the back with 5.5 bs. Those specs have been run on numerous 69s without any issues. If you decide on 17” wheels, run either a 235 or 245/45-17 in the front and a 275/40-17 in the rear. Hope this helps!

dhutton
03-10-2018, 05:49 PM
With Tru-Turn you can easily run a 255 tire up front.

Don

elwaupo
03-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys, a lot of good information

JohnJ@RideTech
03-12-2018, 04:18 AM
Ok so RideTech is not the best at customer service so I’ll ask you guys, I’m going to change out my stock Rally 15” Wheels to 17” or 18” wheels and want to know how wide I can go in the front and back? I’m thinking of sticking with an 8” wide in the front, how much back space is really my question for that. And the rear, how wide and back space?

Hey man, sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience. Let me see if I can help you out.
The information that I'm going to provide you with is what we know will work with our arms, some of this may be a little different with your Global West components but should get you pointed in the right direction. I just cant guarantee fitment or performance.

If you wanted to run an 18in wheel in the front, you would need a 5.75" backspace to fit a 275/35-18 tire. The tire may slightly kiss the frame rail or sway bar at full lock, just enough to buff off the paint. Engineering has test fitted a 17X10 on our system with Baer 14in brakes and 6 piston calipers with similar results. If you wanted to run an 8in wide wheel, you shouldn't have any interference in regards to your tire provided you have the correct backspacing and side wall height.

For the rear, do you plan on keeping your stock width rear end and factory tubs, or are you considering upgrading at some point?

elwaupo
03-13-2018, 06:17 PM
I’m planning on using my stock 10 bolt and wheel well tubs. I’m planning on running your 4 link next, thanks John

elwaupo
03-14-2018, 01:54 PM
For the fronts, run an 8 with either 4.75 or 4 7/8 bs. With your 69 and stock width rear stock tubs you can run a 9.5 wheel in the back with 5.5 bs. Those specs have been run on numerous 69s without any issues. If you decide on 17” wheels, run either a 235 or 245/45-17 in the front and a 275/40-17 in the rear. Hope this helps!

What does “offset” mean? I usually see in in “mm”. Will that be a factor when I order my wheels and if it does what are the recommendations for my wheels?

dhutton
03-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Offset of the mounting surface from the center of the wheel, so another way to specify backspacing. You can use this calculator to convert from offset to backspacing:

https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Don

130fe
03-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Best offset for a first gen is +6 front and rear for stock rear and front. 8" wheel, 4.75 front and 9.5" wheel , 5.5 rear. You can also use a 9" rear wheel with 5.25 BS. You will see some 2 piece wheel manufacturers selling a 0+ offset 8 front for a first gen. This is equal to 4.5" BS (8" wheel). Those "can" work if you aren't lowered.

Before you buy wheels, What brakes are you going to use?

MAGONSTERZ68
04-21-2018, 04:25 PM
you can clear a 9.5" wide wheel with 5.5" backspace at all four corners with 275 35 18 tires.
my current set up: Ridetech uca / tru turn kit / hotchkis coils / DSE lca - lowered 3" all the way around.
Able to clear wheel / tire combo at all four corners, only mod was to clearance upper out area of fender well similar to 48 hr camaro build.

elwaupo
11-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Latest update, finally got everything installed. I swapped out the old steering box for a 97 Grand Cherokee steering box first, big improvement. I then installed the Tru Turn steering, took me awhile and I learned a few things along the way (pay somebody to do it for starters). I did have to do a couple of modifications along the way but they were minor.

Ok now for the first test drive, I didn’t set the toe in/out enough so it was short but it felt positive, especially when making any turn, took forever to make a turn with the old set up. Today I finally reset the toe in/out, rechecked everything and took it for a longer test drive. Now it’s been a couple of months since I drove it last but I would start the car periodically and let it warm up. OMG can’t describe how much different it handles. I always get lots of attention when I drive this car and today was no different as some kids were out with their Dad on a farm quad waving me on and of course I had to give my cool thumbs up when I passed them enjoying this ride, I of course laid the cheese factor on as I went by.
Stupid me!, forgot to put gas in it and it ran out of gas, right in front of one of our local wineries that was have a beautiful wedding, they didn’t seem to mind having it parked at their event.

Ok my only complaint I have is not with the tru turn but with my exhaust I installed right before I did the swap. I decided to install mid length headers so they wouldn’t hang down like full length headers to save some ground clearance, didn’t pan out. They hang down just as far as full length headers, I’m thinking of just going back with the stock exhaust manifolds since I didn’t have any issues with them. I converted my Camaro to EFI and it runs much better so hopefully it with be close to what I have now.

Any suggestions on what to do with the exhaust?

H20cooled
11-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Did you run into any issues with your Tru Turn setup and the GW control arms? I have the GW arms and want to get the Tru Turn but I would prefer not to have to replace my arms. Also did you do the Guldstrand Mod?

oleyeller
11-10-2018, 05:37 PM
I had problems with True Turn and GW lower control arms. The steering stops on the True Turn steering arms contacted the GW arms and limited my turning radius tremendously. But I have seen other versions work.... mine were the lowers for coil over shocks with the reinforcement for the shock.

H20cooled
11-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Mine arms are the ones for the standard coil springs not the coil overs, wonder how much of difference it will make? Anyone else have issues?

elwaupo
11-13-2018, 06:41 AM
m
Did you run into any issues with your Tru Turn setup and the GW control arms? I have the GW arms and want to get the Tru Turn but I would prefer not to have to replace my arms. Also did you do the Guldstrand Mod?

I also have the standard GW a-arms for the coil springs that I bought in 2005 or 2006, my turning radius sucked after that. Before I installed the Tru-Turn I swapped out the original power steering box with a 1996 Jeep Grand Chrerokee box, huge improvement on my steering and it improved my turning radius. I then installed the Tru-Turn and right back to square one on the turning radius but worse. Ok what do I do now, purchase RideTechÂ’s a-arms and coil overs for another $2,000+ or figure it out on my own?

I decided to try and modify the GW bump stops by cutting the stops myself since they would be useless now, it worked! The turning radius is even better then ever. I checked for any rubbing and itÂ’s good. I would recommend cutting about half of the stops at first to make sure itÂ’s what you want. Ride Tech contacted me on this thread and said they have heard of problems with the GW a-arms steering stops and wanted to monitor how this went.

Hope this helps guys

H20cooled
11-13-2018, 06:50 AM
I don't see bump stops on my lower GW arm that I would cut, they one that sticks up is just screwed in but I never installed it on my setup. I'm wondering if mine are newer than yours and that is why. Mine look like this158253.

Thanks!

oleyeller
11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
The problem I had with the True Turn was the RideTech steering arms have stops on the forward end, where the original arms had the stop on the back side. The RideTech arms are work with the forward bump stops where the GW arms worked with the rear bump stops. I could have cut off the stops on the new RT steering arms but opted not to.

elwaupo
11-13-2018, 12:08 PM
The problem I had with the True Turn was the RideTech steering arms have stops on the forward end, where the original arms had the stop on the back side. The RideTech arms are work with the forward bump stops where the GW arms worked with the rear bump stops. I could have cut off the stops on the new RT steering arms but opted not to.

I cut the forward ones and that solved my problems

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see bump stops on my lower GW arm that I would cut, they one that sticks up is just screwed in but I never installed it on my setup. I'm wondering if mine are newer than yours and that is why. Mine look like this158253.

Thanks!

Check the front of the arms

H20cooled
11-13-2018, 01:59 PM
I guess I'm missing something but I'm not seeing the steering stop on the arms. Are you talking about cutting the steering arm off which is hits the arm or something off the GW A arms?

H20cooled
11-13-2018, 02:07 PM
I just found this image of GW arms and I'm wondering if this is what you have158271, mine must be newer because I do not have that on mine.

elwaupo
11-13-2018, 05:25 PM
b
I just found this image of GW arms and I'm wondering if this is what you have158271, mine must be newer because I do not have that on mine.

Those are the ones

elwaupo
11-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I’ll check mine when I’m at my house to make sure it was those nubs

minendrews68
11-13-2018, 08:06 PM
I have another question. Is the '97 Jeep gear box a direct bolt on? Could you see a definite difference?

H20cooled
11-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Cool, yeah mine are completely flat on the front so I guess the updated the arms and removed those stops. Thanks.

elwaupo
11-14-2018, 01:10 PM
I have another question. Is the '97 Jeep gear box a direct bolt on? Could you see a definite difference?

Yes, you will need a Borgeson adapter fittings which I put on the bottom of this list of steering boxes that will work. You will need to change your pitman arm for your car

Steering Box

Buyers Guide
Make Model Year(s)
Buick Roadmaster 1993 - 1996
Chevrolet Caprice 1995 - 1996
Chevrolet Impala 1995 - 1996
Chevrolet Blazer 1995 - 1999
Chevrolet Blazer 2001 - 2001
Chevrolet Blazer 2004 - 2005
Chevrolet S10 - Pickup 1995 - 2003
Chevrolet TrailBlazer 1999 - 1999
GMC Truck Jimmy 1995 - 1999
GMC Truck Jimmy 2001 - 2001
GMC Truck Sonoma 1995 - 2003
Isuzu Hombre 1996 - 2000
Jeep Cherokee 1996 - 1998
Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996 - 1998
Jeep TJ 1997 - 2002
Jeep Wrangler 1997 - 2002

Borgeson GM Inverted Flare Adapter Fitting Set/13.50 at Summit

elwaupo
11-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Cool, yeah mine are completely flat on the front so I guess the updated the arms and removed those stops. Thanks.
Then you shouldn’t have a problem

- - - Updated - - -

Check the fitment list I posted, only those will work

elwaupo
01-13-2019, 07:41 PM
I finally got my True-Turn installed with a new Borgesen Power Steering Box, night and day difference! You can really feel the positive handling. My Camaro sits lower then it did before resulting in header clearance problems now. I emailed Ridetech with no response, not happy.🤔
I did see on YouTube where a guy changed out his stock a-arms for aftermarket tubular a-arms with dropped spindles and he had the same results so he installed Viking Coil Overs and that took care of his clearance problems so I ordered a set of Vikings for my ride, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😎

MAGONSTERZ68
01-13-2019, 10:20 PM
I finally got my True-Turn installed with a new Borgesen Power Steering Box, night and day difference! You can really feel the positive handling. My Camaro sits lower then it did before resulting in header clearance problems now. I emailed Ridetech with no response, not happy.🤔
I did see on YouTube where a guy changed out his stock a-arms for aftermarket tubular a-arms with dropped spindles and he had the same results so he installed Viking Coil Overs and that took care of his clearance problems so I ordered a set of Vikings for my ride, I’ll keep you guys posted. 😎

The Viking set up is cool did not go that way because of the loss of suspension travel with that set up.
I'm running DSE lower control arms with deeper spring cups, hotchkis 600lb rate coils with 2" drop and true turn 2" dropped spindle made for way too low to be safe, solution was afco adjustable spring cup, pn 20191. Not only cures ride height but lets you dial in exact ride height as it is adjustable.

Josh@Ridetech
01-14-2019, 06:12 AM
I finally got my True-Turn installed with a new Borgesen Power Steering Box, night and day difference! You can really feel the positive handling. My Camaro sits lower then it did before resulting in header clearance problems now. I emailed Ridetech with no response, not happy.��
I did see on YouTube where a guy changed out his stock a-arms for aftermarket tubular a-arms with dropped spindles and he had the same results so he installed Viking Coil Overs and that took care of his clearance problems so I ordered a set of Vikings for my ride, I’ll keep you guys posted. ��

Hey Sonny, I've received a couple PM's on here from you but I hadn't seen an email come through if you sent it to me directly, sorry about that!

What control arm setup are you running with the truturn? Everything is designed to work together. Our control arms, spindles, steering arms, coilovers, etc... If you weren't running our spindle until now, it is a 2" drop as well. Just respond on here and I'll help find out where the issue is coming from!

Edit... I just went back through the thread and saw that you're running Global West arms with standard springs. It all depends on the stance that the previous kit gave you. Our full kit has optimal clearance and geometry at the 2" lowered stance (compared to factory height). If the GW setup was a drop setup with stock spindles to begin with, just installing the TruTurn linkage with spindles on their arms will give you another 2" drop on top of that. On those coilovers that you just ordered, you'll want to make sure that they're going to be at mid travel for the ride height you're wanting. If you didn't measure, you'll definitely want to double check that before installing them. I could tell you what length the coilovers would need to be with our control arms but on the GW arms, I have no clue sadly.

elwaupo
01-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Good to know for guys doing this set up, at least I got a good price for the coil overs and I always wanted to do that someday. I would recommended going your way.

elwaupo
01-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Ok my latest update, I bought and installed a Borgesen 12/7-1 Power Steering Box and installed it. Really works nice, very responsive! After everything is installed the car sits on the ground, it can be driven as long as you don’t require more then 2” of ground clearance, to fix that I just bought Viking Performance coil overs, now I just need time to get them installed.

Josh@Ridetech
01-24-2019, 06:23 AM
Ok my latest update, I bought and installed a Borgesen 12/7-1 Power Steering Box and installed it. Really works nice, very responsive! After everything is installed the car sits on the ground, it can be driven as long as you don’t require more then 2” of ground clearance, to fix that I just bought Viking Performance coil overs, now I just need time to get them installed.

Thanks for the update! I knew you'd like the new box! :)

elwaupo
02-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Got my Viking Coilovers installed and adjusted to a ride height that I’m happy with, OMG what a difference! This car has never been so fun to drive now, I thank Ridetech for their products and advice over the phone and internet. I’m looking forward to driving my Camaro a lot more without the scary bumpsteer I’ve expierianed in the past. I highly recommend this modification to any car that has bumpsteer problems 😎👍

68Formula
02-20-2019, 07:24 AM
How does the Tru Turn allow for a wider tire? Limit the steering travel? I have 245s on an 8" wide with 5" backspace, and the issue is the tire barely rubbing on the stock subframe at full lock.

elwaupo
07-02-2019, 02:59 AM

Sorry for the late reply, yes I had problems with the stopper, car had even less of a turning radius then before. Remedy, I cut the horn! Didn’t effect any clearance stops, my car was able turn turn normally and I didn’t have to buy new A-Arms.