PDA

View Full Version : Steering Gear Box Options/Questions/Suggestions: 2nd Gen F-Body

76TA
02-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Hello. My name is Andrew and I'm in the process of building a '76 Trans Am. I have a build thread up in the Project Updates section titled: "76 Trans Am"
(Link here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/127202-76-Trans-Am)

As you'll note from where I left of with the build thread (as of: 2/5/18); I've just recently installed a Detroit Speed front Sub Frame. To help familiarize you with the car, the vehicle already has an 8-point cage, sub-frame connectors, solid body mounts, mini tubs, JRi double adjustable shocks in the rear, a Strange 9 inch rear axle and of course the complete sub frame assembly via Detroit Speed. The vehicle will be powered by Mast Racing Engines' Black Series 427 SS (Dry Sump) producing somewhere in the range of crank 680hp. through a Tranzilla T56. As of now it is simply a rolling chassis; however I'm nearing the point where I will begin tackling the brake and fuel systems.

Prior to beginning these next stages I'd like to decide on the correct Steering Gear Box.

I'm aware of Detroit Speeds' steering gear box as well as the boxes offered through Pro-TouringF-Body.com and the Tom Lee Boxes:
1) Detroit Speed Box (Link: http://www.detroitspeed.com/Steering/090204-600-steering-gear.html)
2) Pro-TouringF-Body Box (Link: http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html)
3) Tom Lee Box (Link: http://scandc.com/new/node/246)

[/I]The intended goal/purpose for the car is a hefty use on road courses as I reside very close to Watkins' Glen.

Without any experience with either of the options noted above I don't feel comfortable making a decision. Months ago I stumbled upon several threads on various forums noting alternatives to the options noted above but I've 'misplaced' them.

Have any of you had experience with the boxes noted above or an alternative? I'm content with the ratio of 12.7 as the vehicle will be driven on the street occasionally. I'd prefer if the unit is not a re-serviced piece.

Thank you,
Andrew

F-Body International
02-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Got bad news for you. Most boxes are reserviced units. Don’t feel uncomfortable though. Most places will set you up correct with what you need. DSE, Pro-Touring F-Body, Ridetech or Turn One are pretty much the go-to’s from people on this website. Most of it is all the same style Saginaw box with minor variations and “sales points” among the suppliers.

Whichever box you go with, I’d use PTFB for the linkages.

Lee just popped up as being back in business but I haven’t seen much info on the forums. That’s something you check into as an option. They can rebuild your Saginaw box to your specs. http://leepowersteering.com/gear-rebuilds-and-upgrades/

79T/Aman
02-06-2018, 01:21 PM
We, PTFB have both 700 and 600 series boxes the 600 series are 100% new custom built boxes so there is no bad news.

The thing is that the DSE sub uses a rack and pinion I don't think you have an option of a box there.

F-Body International
02-06-2018, 01:55 PM
We, PTFB have both 700 and 600 series boxes the 600 series are 100% new custom built boxes so there is no bad news.

The thing is that the DSE sub uses a rack and pinion I don't think you have an option of a box there.

Nice, that’s good to hear for customers. You updated what you supply this past year if I recall?

Aside from the steering box, the selection of steering linkage parts you sell is best for anyone using a stock frame IMO. That bump steer kit you offer is a nice addition that most others simply don’t offer.

Rod
02-06-2018, 04:14 PM
I've just recently installed a Detroit Speed front Sub Frame.

Good news! DSE frames are Rack & Pinion, it doesn't need a box

Mean 69
02-06-2018, 04:49 PM
So then, who makes a "good" rack for him? Quick ratio, quality parts, correct valving, and good customer service if it needs help?

M

rickpaw
02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
The pictures on his build thread show the DSE sub frame with the steering rack installed.

79T/Aman
02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
I looked at the build pics as well and was puzzled as there is a rack and pinion installed, I would think the best rack for the application is DSE ...call me crazy LOL

76TA
02-07-2018, 08:02 AM
I should have clarified. The old front sub frame from the ‘76 is being used with another car entirely; a plain jane ‘75 350 Firebird until my ‘76 is complete. I just had the ‘76 front sub frame sent out for media blasting and will be using new bushings, and an extra set of DSEs control arms.

Just curious what options were available in terms of boxes.

pitts64
02-08-2018, 02:21 PM
On my 69 el Camino, I just installed a Lee 14:1 with a 30 lb valve and I use a Grant 12" wheel. I am very happy with it. It feeds back like manual going down the road but is fast. The return is super fast like a manual. I never experienced anything like it.. There is absolutely zero over assist feel with this box. You need to apply pressure the moment your off center crown...

I had a old Lee 12:1 and this box has it all over that box..

79T/Aman
02-10-2018, 08:07 AM
On my 69 el Camino, I just installed a Lee 14:1 with a 30 lb valve and I use a Grant 12" wheel. I am very happy with it. It feeds back like manual going down the road but is fast. The return is super fast like a manual. I never experienced anything like it.. There is absolutely zero over assist feel with this box. You need to apply pressure the moment your off center crown...

I had a old Lee 12:1 and this box has it all over that box..

This may be oversimplifying it, there are many things that affect the steering feel such as tires (width, height, construction, hardness, side wall) weight of the vehicle, caster, camber, toe, wheel offset what steering box are being compared?, what steering linkages, pitman arm length, steering arm length, springs,shocks, sway bar all affect steering feel even at low speed.

Rod
02-10-2018, 08:41 AM
This may be oversimplifying it, there are many things that affect the steering feel such as tires (width, height, construction, hardness, side wall) weight of the vehicle, caster, camber, toe, wheel offset what steering box are being compared?, what steering linkages, pitman arm length, steering arm length, springs,shocks, sway bar all affect steering feel even at low speed.

what Dave says here^^^, along with what is the intended purpose of the build and your talent level, why talent level? for a guy that only autocrosses 1-2 times a year a 12:1 box will be fine, for a avid racer that runs 15-20 events a season like myself 12:1 is to slow, I run a 8:1 box, but for the average guy that's WAY to fast and he will jack his car on daily street driving