PDA

View Full Version : Can I fit a 295 front tire on a 1969 Chevelle?

lowrider
01-31-2018, 12:41 PM
I am planning on using upper and lower control arms from ridetech with the muscle bar and shockwaves. Do I need to notch the front chassis area for a 295- 18" tire? Has anyone done this mod? Car wil be lowered at least 2" with tall spindle and shock.

csouth
01-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Wheel width and backspacing will play a big part in this answer. Tony from ABC Performance is running 315's all the way around on his 70. He has a 10.5 in the front and I'm not sure of the backspacing. Not sure how much different front fender openings will play or if the inner fenders are the same.

You may want this in wheels and tires for a better answer.

lowrider
01-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Thank you. I’ll do that.

raustinss
01-31-2018, 04:51 PM
when tony and I were talking he told me his plan I asked how this was possible. Now being as I wasn't going that fat I didn't hang on his every word but, if I do recall its the correct backspacing AND a little massaging of the inner fender . after that you are good to go

lowrider
01-31-2018, 06:44 PM
I can handle that! Thank you!

Ben@SpeedTech
02-01-2018, 07:39 AM
A local customer and friend Alan Miller has 315s on his 70 Chevelle. He went with a splined sway bar and some minor massaging of the inner fender well too. Good luck!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2018/02/G5az5PQ-1.jpg

lowrider
02-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Good to know! BTW, I purchased the Chevelle brace kit made by you guys.

gnx7
02-08-2018, 10:46 AM
I would be curious what sizes and offset you come up with to run a 315 at all corners..... as that would be what I'd like on my '69 Chevelle. Out back that shouldn't be an issue.

krom
02-10-2018, 10:44 AM
I would be curious what sizes and offset you come up with to run a 315 at all corners..... as that would be what I'd like on my '69 Chevelle. Out back that shouldn't be an issue.

me too!!

USAZR1
02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Fitting a 315 on the front is going to require more than a little massaging. It obviously can be done,though.

Ben@SpeedTech
02-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Alan is a customer of ours and did the mods to fit the 315s on his '70 Chevelle at home so I may not be listing all the details here. I do know he used metal front inner fenders and modified them for more clearance on the outer sides because the outer side of the tire would rub in stock form. I believe he may have trimmed off where the wheel tub dropped down to the fender lip and just ran the peak of the tub horizontally out to the fender rather than down to the lip, if that makes sense. The fender lip is rolled up too. He also added a splined sway bar that was all custom made mounting, partly for more tire clearance and partly for more control of spring rate. Not sure if bolt-in splined sway bar kits out there would work as well or not. He ran an 18x10.5 wheel up front with 5.5" BS and an 18x11 out back with 6.5" BS. Hope this helps. This is the only pic I have of the sway bar. The mounts and cross tube are welded to the frame.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2018/02/X9iO6NT-1.jpg

raustinss
02-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Pretty much what ive be told by a few people and this is what they did. I forgot about the need for the splined sway bar but, youre correct Ben in the description of the inner fender mods if you roll the fender lip you need to add a vertical "gap filler " piece of sheetmetal to fill the space from the rolled fender lip and the area where the inner fender gets cut off . A small spacer then gets welded to the inner fender and welded to the vertical filler previously mentioned . I guess the easiest way to explain the mods are you want to change a slope or radius into a square . If anyone gets it ... Bueller ?...Bueller?