PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Problem Tremec and a BBC, Please help

1970_Cloned
11-29-2005, 11:00 PM
It is like oh my gosh where do you start? Due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge I have paid so large tuition bills in the last couple of years. I have 70 Chevelle with a 454 (468 .060 over) engine with a tremec TKO. It has a lakewood bellhousing. I did not check the runout. (First Problem I am learning). The engine was balanced with the flywheel and pressure plate. I am getting a slight vibration from the engine when I rev up the engine with the clutch petal pressed in and when the clutch is not pressed with the transmission in neutral. I also have experienced problems getting the transmission into third, like explained in other parts of this forum. Does this sound like a engine misbalance or a transmission misalignment? Any Help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Ben
Omaha Nebraksa

dhardison
11-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a transmission alignment (i.e. runout) issue to me. I have a Tremec with a Lakewood bell as well and the runout was WAY off when I checked mine. If I ever R&R I'm going with a McLeod next time.

Dan

GMJim
11-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Ben

Your vibration is somewhere in the engine or clutch. The fact that you get the vibration while the clutch is depressed sayS that the transmission and clutch are not turning. A mis aligned bell housing will not usually cause a vibration unless it is way off and the pilot bearing is damaged and the front bearing badly worn. Just about every engine produced has a range where there is some sort of vibration at certain rpm's. I would strongly suggest that you align the housing to avoid problems in the future.
Jim

1970_Cloned
12-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks Jim for all of your help. Jim gave me tech support on a transmission that I did not even purchase from him. He took at least an hour out of his day on Sunday to talk to me. Thank you so much, my next tremec purchase will be through www.classicchevy5speed.com.

Ben Matheny
Omaha Ne